6-string vs 8-string: pros? cons?

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi folks,

The first uke I bought was a KA8 tenor. I had no idea what i was doing and sold it after about a year. Now I may dive back into the multi-course world again.

So tell me: If I want to get a more jangly sound, which is better? Which is easier to play if you have limited (as in, normal tenor scale) reach?

I'm not interested in a Guilele. Been there, done that.

I'm also probably looking at Ohana or Kala -- under $400, factory-made but set up by a good dealer or bought used.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

I have one 8 string...a Baton Rouge from Stones Music in the UK (no US dealers) and I love it—a few others have written about theirs as well, so I would recommend it as rather inexpensive way to get into a decent instrument—yet laminate.

There are quite a few 8 strings on the Market...Kala, Ohana, Oscar Schmitt, Baton Rouge, and I am sure others. No Opios yet (I can dream, can’t I).

My Baton Rouge is tuned G4G3, C5C4, E4E4, A4A4.

Don’t forget about the Ohana Taropatch Concert model...that might also fit your desire if you are trying to keep it affordable. I understand that is tuned G4G4 C4C4 E4E4 A4A4

The “jangle” is going to come from the chorus effect of having two strings that are the same pitch yet not exactly in tune (regardless of how close you get). The octave strings of the tenor version just will give a fuller sound.

The Taropatch is on my wish list. But my wife is at the breaking point when it comes to ukuleles.

Hi!

I think as always the answer will be found in your own hands and ears... but I recently went down this wormhole, and found this article with Aaron from HMS offering a breakdown, plus some video sound samples. It's more complicated than just 6 v 8, because the 6 strings are not usually tuned in unison, so you get a deeper and higher note on doubled strings... both seem insanely cool alternatives/additions to the standard tenor.

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2011/04/11/the-6-and-8-string-ukulele/

Sorry, I didn't actually answer your question:

Pros: Fun new sounds, and instant conversation pieces with your uke friends!
Cons: Deciding between them! ;)

+1 on the Taropatch Concert model. Mine is tuned in unison.

Regarding price, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".

Last edited:
I have both 6 and 8 string Baton Rouge ukuleles. As Choirguy said they are excellent value. They are laminate but well made laminate a decent top, not too thick and were well set up when I got them, both from different shops which suggests that Baton Rouge themselves do a good job.

They are both different but also similar. The 8 string is probably "janglier" as it came but I replaced the ovtave C strings with a unison pair which gives a richer tone than a 4 string but less jangly than than the initial arrangement. It gives the "best of" high and low G worlds.

The 6 string is different. Mine has octave C and A strings and is strung high G. The hi/lo A gives it a different sound from a regular tenor. More of a richer tone than a janglier tone. The 6 string can be strung a variety of ways. When I ordered replacement strings from Ken Middleton (of Living Water Strings) he said there were four common ways. (High or Low G, combinations of octave or unison for the doubled strings) and each will doubtless give a different effect. I like mine with high G and octaves on the doubled strings it gives a "double re-entrant effect". I like both my 6 & 8 string.

Barry Maz (Bazmaz) on UU has done a review of the Baton Rouge 8 string on his Got a Ukulele blog.

Thanks, all. Too bad Baton Rouge doesn't sell in the States. I've seen Barry's reviews and I know he's a fan. I had my eyes on the Ohana taropatch when they were announced. That may be the way to go.

And thanks, Geoff, for explaining the differences in tone between the 6- and 8-strings.

Have a 6-string and an 8-string. The 6-string is tuned C-Gg-D-AA, the 8-string is Cc-Gg-DD-AA. The 8-string is my preferred "folk genre" instrument because of its more "jangly" sound. The 6-string sounds better (to me, anyway) for rock and such.

With both instruments I use a pick. The result (again, to me) is a brighter sound which can be manipulated easier. Surprisingly, the OS 8-string can usualky be found for under US$100. With quality strings and a decent set-up the sound quality is not bad at all.

The 6 string (Lili'u) is great for strumming rhythm but becomes cumbersome and tricky when playing lead lines because of the low A string. It can work but:

The 8 string is more straight-forward because the octave & unison tuned courses are more predictable, which makes picking lead lines more predictable.

Both sound jangly when the unison strings are slightly out of tune with each other.

I suggest you try both if you can and let your ear decide.

Good luck in your search!

Top Bottom