Free Jam or Learning songs ?

UkuCouS

Reaction score
Aloha !

Guys I was wondering, when you're playing uke, do you prefer playing songs you've learned, or just make a free jam with impros, solos ..?
(this one needs to be with a friend ;)

Personally, I prefer improvising.

PS: For those who makes solos, if you have any ... ANY advice for me, cause
I'm actually working on some phrases (don't know if it's the exact term) but basically my solos structures are the same everytime.

I just jam out random riffs and then songs are written from them.

I use a thread on here alot. Acousticmonster created it, and it rocks. It's got alot of scales. I just keep playing the notes and eventually interesting melodies develop. I'd link the thread, but I'm at work... lol.

I use a thread on here alot. Acousticmonster created it, and it rocks. It's got alot of scales. I just keep playing the notes and eventually interesting melodies develop. I'd link the thread, but I'm at work... lol.

I thought you would be home sick today working on our collab? ;)

And I play songs I learned, not good enough yet to just jam, but soon I will be. :)

Got a link to that thread?

I start out learning from song tutorials and then my ineptitude takes over (perhaps its actually creativity) and I turn the cover song into something entirely different. I can't name one single song that I've ever come close to mastering, but I have an endless quantity of improvisations. Great material can be found on YouTube, this forum, books, lotsa places. Personally, I lack the musical ability just to start from scratch, so I like a jumping-off point of reference.

I like to play some covers.
I learn most of them just by playing around and matching up chords that sound purdy.
Sometimes I stumble on songs that are terrible earworms...but everything sounds better on uke. ;)

Mainly, I create my own stuff.
I don't delve deep into leads until after I have the lyrics and melodies written out and by then...I usually have an idea of what I want the lead to sound like.

Practicing scales definitely helps you in a few ways...finger strength, getting to know your fretboard and where you are on it. it is also good to know chord variations. They are quite essential in putting a good lead together IMO.

Y' know, I have real problems improvising and jamming solos.

My knowledge of music theory is sound, and I have scales, arpeggios and licks drilled into to my head and muscle memory. My problem is that I play a number of string instruments (some for 30+ years) and as a relative uke newbie I find my fingers going for mandolin scale/arp patterns! It really screws me up.

I can sort of blag it by just dropping the scale patterns completely and playing totally by ear - judging the intervals one note at a time - but it ain't a pretty sight/sound!

Still, like most other things in music, it'll come when it's ready if I keep working at it. :music:

Top Bottom