New Spruce Top "Hemp" Tenor Build Completed

E-Lo Roberts

Reaction score
Here's a new commissioned build that I just finished. Although I don't tiptoe down the yellow brick road myself...anymore, I did have fun re-living the days and coming up with this hemp inspired design. The bridge carving and the inlay work were most enjoyable. I think I got a buzz off the rosewood shaving!

Here are some specs on the completed tenor.

Spruce top with serpentine style hemp paua abalone rosette.
Tiger wood back and sides.
Back internal bracing: spruce with carbon fiber center.
Lacewood and maple butt joint with paua "happy" sun.
Lacewood and maple binding used for top and back.
Mahogany bolt-on neck with carbon fiber struss rod.
17” scale joined to the body at the 14th fret; 19 frets total.
Rosewood fingerboard with "smiley :) face" pearl dot markers.
Lacewood stockhead overlay over maple veneer
with paua abalone hemp leaves and "blunt" logo.
Lacewood and maple veneer overlay on back of headstock.
Kamaka "Jake" style slotted headstock.
11 degree neck break to allow for all 4 string clearance at nut.
Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite chrome and gold gear slotted peghead tuners.
Carved rosewood "hemp" bridge with thru body rosewood pegs.
Bone nut and saddle.
Top finished in Nitro lacquer.
Back, side, neck finished in Tru-Oil.

Attachments

• hemp front.jpg
    hemp front.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 357
  • hemp body.jpg
    hemp body.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 225
  • hemp back.jpg
    hemp back.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 167
  • hemp headstock.jpg
    hemp headstock.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 191
  • hemp butt.jpg
    hemp butt.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Dude I am such a sucker for Abalone inlay! 2 out of 3 of my ukes have it...LOL I let one of my girlfriends "learn" on the other one...I know UAS will strike again, hmmm maybe a Big Island Honu concert...or... **someone help me before I aquire again**:wallbash:

I think I got a buzz off the rosewood shaving!
hehe, must be that hi-grade Rosewood. I'd like one with a few of the sensi seeds inlayed in as fretboard markers. 5th, 7, 10, 12, 15th frets please. :p

Seriously, Nice job! Are you open for new orders?

The new owner should name her "Mary Jane". ;)

hehe, must be that hi-grade Rosewood. I'd like one with a few of the sensi seeds inlayed in as fretboard markers. 5th, 7, 10, 12, 15th frets please. :p

Seriously, Nice job! Are you open for new orders?

JTY, hey I like the inlayed seeds for markers idea! Hummm...but where could I get some of those seeds?...perhaps my client has a few to spare... but with my luck, I would be the one busted for possession. hahaha...

New orders?...perhaps I should make this one a prototype for all the doobie ukers. As suggested by Ahnko Honu, called her "Mary Jane"...thanks for the view JTY...e.lo..

I heard that to get the same high from a joint of marijuana, you would have to smoke a hemp joint the size of a lightpole.

I heard that to get the same high from a joint of marijuana, you would have to smoke a hemp joint the size of a lightpole.

Super, you're right. "Hemp" is just easier for me to spell than mariijuuaanna..marjunana...errrr...marajuann...#$(%_#$!!!/damit!... marijuana....thanks for the view dude...e.lo...

Nice nice nice. Does the large bridge size hurt the tone??
You should have made the end graft open to reveal a stash compartment

Nice nice nice. Does the large bridge size hurt the tone??
You should have made the end graft open to reveal a stash compartment

ksquine, oh dude, you are a smart, evil thinker.. damn, now I have to go back and put that feature in!

And yes, I believe that the large bridge size did mute the tone a bit. However, the client really, really wanted some sort of hemp leaf bridge.

The next hemp uke I build will feature the same bridge, but (after thinking about it) I believe I can "float" the extra wood (the leaves) like a shelf beyond the standard bridge size to eliminate this issue. And of course add your stash compartment.

Thanks for the very cool new ideas!....e.lo...

Last edited:
E-Lo,
I just wanted to thank you again for the beautiful job you did on my uke! The fit and finish is great. I was blown away by how well you executed the concept. I am recomending you to everyone on here. Everyone that has seen it are very impressed with it, and it sounds as good as it looks. You can't go wrong with E-lo.
Ed Nortin

Top Bottom