Just looking for a Uke...

JT_Ukes

Reaction score
I really like the look of the classic Martin style 0, but I've played the new martins, and was not that impressed.

So the question is. Is there a solid wood soprano or concert sized Ukulele that captures the look and sound of the classic martins, without the price of a good condition vintage 0?

Can't afford one right now, but I love lookin.

JT

check out all the KIWAYA sopranos, they model the martins and according to MGM have the closest sound to vintage m's

martin style ukes

JT,

what about a 'matted' finished bushman or mainland soprano with friction tuners.....or the ohanas???

solid wood, come with aquila strings, sounds good....at least my bushman does....and i've heard lots of positive stuff about the mainlands and ohanas....

www.jumpingflea.com

www.mainlandukes.com

p.s. if you talk to Mike (mainland ukes)....maybe they have a less ornate soprano....i believe they do the finish work here in the states....

cheers,

todd

I second the Mainlands and Bushmans. They're built from the original Martin specs. However they have a rather thick finish. This will give you year of use, but hampers getting that sound you're looking for.

However, to a discriminating ear the Martins sound the way they do because the wood has aged so well. So you'll not find that in a new uke.

I bought a vintage Martin for $500. I see the Kiwaya is marked at 475. Why not get the Martin ? The rub is to find the Martin.:)

I'd take the kiwaya over the martin. Half the price for the martin is for the history and brand equity. The kiwaya is all quality.

Top Bottom