NUD: 40s or 50s Martin 0

Super_Dave

Reaction score
So I impulse bought this Martin on eBay one night.
It was missing a screw in the tuner (they're 5/8" #2-56 panhead screws, by the way) so I got another one at a speciality hardware store, threw on a set of Freemont Blacklines, and was BLOWN AWAY.

This this is spectacular. I cannot believe how much resonance there is in this little thing. It's way louder than my Pono Tenor even. That may be common knowledge among those of you with experience, but I'm shocked at how amazing this thing is.

I like it so much I can't even imagine playing another reentrant uke in its place, so I'm selling my Kala concert. This thing is absolutely amazing and I can't stop playing it.

No idea how to date it more accurately than 40s-50s, so if anyone knows of some tells I'd be interested. But I don't much care anymore. It sounds so good it doesn't even NEED the history attached to it for me to love it.

/dave

2018-04-23 17.18.10.jpg

Wow, very nice! I think the little guy in the background likes it too! Hope it'll be a keeper and a frequent (if not constant) companion!

Wife and I bought new Martin C1Ks a couple years ago after buying/trying 3 or 4 other ukes. Very happy with them, and so far I have never been around another uke that had anything close to the volume and presence. They say the secret is the bracing.....I dunno.

[SUB][/SUB]Nice Original Post, I hope that Super_Dave has many happy years of playing and that the Uke gets passed down the generations.

They are little cannons, aren’t they?

It’s perhaps not quite fair of me to ask or remark here - maybe a separate thread should be started - but it seems to me that there is a solid core of discerning and capable players that journey through playing a variety of decent Ukes and end up selling them and getting a vintage Martin. If I’m correct you have trodden that path too, what did you discard along the route and why?

Last edited:
Beautiful O you got there Dave, congratulations.
Its wonderful that so many were made that some nice examples survived for players
of the present to enjoy at more or less reasonable prices.

I have the same tuners on my Martin SO. I think the tuners are Kluson and were used from 1949-1953 (at least I believe that is what a book said that I read-I think). Mine came with the original heavy cloth like soft gig bag. The tuners work great on mine. The uke sounds absolutely great!

Top Bottom