sawing curly maple

Philstix

Reaction score
I am about to start trying to saw some curly maple ukulele sets. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I have a grizzly 14" bandsaw with riser block, a carbide toothed blade and have stabalized the table with a steel bar attaching it to the stand. I have been able to saw out guitar tops and of course ukulele tops with this setup(Western Red Cedar) but I don't know if there is enough power to saw this maple. IlIMG_5874 copy.jpgIMG_5876 copy.jpgIMG_5879 copy.jpgive near Seattle. These pieces are about 3" thick, 6 - 9 " tall and 30" long.

You probably should show us your saw set up. How many teeth to the inch? Big leaf maple isn't all that hard so you shouldn't have too much trouble if you've done some resawing before. Resist the urge to get maximum yield if you're uncertain of the saw's capability. Go slow and let the saw do the work especially if you're under powered. Have you set up the saw fence to factor in the drift angle? How much power do you have? I have Merk Duginske's Band Saw Handbook and it's vert useful. Good luck and show us the results.

Top Bottom