NUD Pono ETSH(C) PC

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score

Hi everybody! Having just discovered what NUD means I thought I would post a little video of my new (to me) Ukulele. It is a Pono Tenor ETSH(C) PC cedar top, ebony back and sides model. I purchased it through the UU forum market place from a member in Italy. I live in the UK so I have to give the member a big hats off for a well packaged and easy transaction that arrived in only a few days from funds being transferred.
I also have a lovely Ohana TK35G which has a very warm mid range woody sound. The Pono is brighter more bell like in its tone, so I can now choose which I prefer for the type of music I am going to play. I have them both in low G tuning with Aquila Nylguts and a Fremont Squeakles low G.
Maybe a high G someday but at the moment low G suits my guitarist sensibilities!
Mike

Last edited:
Nice Irish tune on a fine instrument. I have the same, except with an Englemann spruce top. Great ukes, those Ponos.

Very nice, Mike. I'm curious how the neck compares to that of your Ohana. I keep hearing that Pono necks are chunky feeling. Also does this model have a radiused fretboard?

That's a beauty. I like the slotted headstock.
The slotted headstock is lovely but not the easiest to restring. Unless I am missing something!

Nice Irish tune on a fine instrument. I have the same, except with an Englemann spruce top. Great ukes, those Ponos.
I always preferred spruce top guitars over cedar tops. I suspect if there was a choice between a spruce top and a cedar top I would have chose the spruce top. Would have been interesting to try them and see what the differences are!

A very jaunty tune on a very beautiful Pono!
I think Jaunty and Pono go quite well together!

Very nice, Mike. I'm curious how the neck compares to that of your Ohana. I keep hearing that Pono necks are chunky feeling. Also does this model have a radiused fretboard?

This is an interesting question. The Ohana is slightly wider at the nut but is more parallel along the length of the neck. The Pono widens out along the neck to the body which feels a little strange at first. So the strings fan out more towards the bridge. This may sound strange but I can also hear the metal of the truss rod in the instrument when I play it!!!!! The fingerboard is slightly radiused. It has the feel of a steel strung guitar but with nylon strings. The quality of the Pono is excellent..............really top notch. The action is unbelievably low. Maybe a tad too low. The Ohana is lighter and more resonant with a warm mid range sound. They are both really nice instruments. The Pono definitely up a notch on quality but by no means is the Ohana outclassed on tone and playability. Having played the Ohana for longer it has a more homely feel to me. That would be natural of course. I suspect if I had the Pono first I would be saying the same thing about the Pono.
Both are really nice instruments. You would not be disappointed with either.

Last edited:
Congratulations, that looks and sounds awesome. Very nice playing, too! My Pono ETSHC (with a cutaway) is among my all-time favorite instruments, both visually and for its full, warm tone. I was able to compare the Cedar and Spruce tops and preferred the Cedar for its immediate resonance and openness. Mine is one of the loudest ukes I have ever come across, with an impressive low end.

To me, the slotted headstock is just as easy to restring as a solid headstock, nothing to worry about.

Speaking about strings, are those Aquilas that are on it?

Absolutely beautiful looking and sounding. Happy for you!!!

Mark and Dee Dee

So glad you bought it!
Congratulations!
I hope you know that this is the beginning of your UAS
Only 200 to go!!!!

Congratulations Mike, it sounds as good as it looks.

Cheers,

Steve.
Thanks Steve!

Congratulations Mike, that looks & sounds really wonderful, well done mate :D
Thank you campbell!

Congratulations, that looks and sounds awesome. Very nice playing, too! My Pono ETSHC (with a cutaway) is among my all-time favorite instruments, both visually and for its full, warm tone. I was able to compare the Cedar and Spruce tops and preferred the Cedar for its immediate resonance and openness. Mine is one of the loudest ukes I have ever come across, with an impressive low end.

To me, the slotted headstock is just as easy to restring as a solid headstock, nothing to worry about.

Speaking about strings, are those Aquilas that are on it?
Thank you Rakelele, Glad you compared them........I was not sure there would be a great amount of difference on a small bodied instrument. The strings are Aqila.......I just happen to prefer nylon strings over fluorocarbon!

Absolutely beautiful looking and sounding. Happy for you!!!

Mark and Dee Dee
Thank you Mark and Dee Dee!

I have owned many Pono Pro Classic tenors and currently own 2. I would definitely change the Aquila Nylguts to fluorocarbarbons. BIG difference in sound and tone! Can't go wrong with Oasis or Pepe Romero strings.
Hi slackkey007, The Pono came with Fluorocarbons. I could hardly feel them under fingers. Coming from playing nylon strung guitars I much prefer the nylon option. We are all different and isn't that the good thing!

Mike

These are wonderful instruments. I owned the same model except with a solid headstock and was always impressed with it. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

These are wonderful instruments. I owned the same model except with a solid headstock and was always impressed with it. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

Thanks Dave. I am not sure why there is this thing with slotted headstocks? Much easier to string a conventional solid headstock I would have thought!!
Mike

Sounds really good with the low G. Looking forward to more recordings!

Top Bottom