buying Koa Tenor Ukulele

mcpille

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'd like to buy me a new uke:)
It should be of solid curly koa.

I'm from Germany so it has to be shipped there.

There are two ukes which I like:
http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/gt404a.html
and the Pono PKT 2.

The adventage of the second one is that I could get it in Germany.

What do you think of these (quality and sound)?
Can you recommend any alternatives?

Thank you...

Hello guys,
I'd like to buy me a new uke:)
It should be of solid curly koa.

I'm from Germany so it has to be shipped there.

There are two ukes which I like:
http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/gt404a.html
and the Pono PKT 2.

The adventage of the second one is that I could get it in Germany.

What do you think of these (quality and sound)?
Can you recommend any alternatives?

Thank you...
mcpille, I have a basic tenor uke by Gstring. This one looks very similar to mine. The only difference I see is the MOP "G" on the headstock and the curly koa on the backside. Nice uke. Mine sounds very nice. Don't know anything about the Pono though... thanks, e.lo..

sexy ukulele, haha i say buy it.

I have never heard what it sounds like, by the look of it. Looks like it will sound nice.

@E-Lo Roberts
but I think the wood looks different. It's not that curly and it is much brighter or is it just that picture?
http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/gt4.html
Mcpille, yes that picture is a bit misleading. Mine looks just like that (even the stripes in the wood are almost the same, both front and back). The color is not right though. Mine is about twice as dark, so I'm thinking this picture is just over exposed. Yes, like you said, there is no curl in my uke or in that one pictured either.

I think I'll decide for the pono koa tenor 1 or 2 because I would have to wait 6 month for this gstring.

Does someone have any experience with the pono koa tenor ukuleles?
And do you have any pictures of them because every picture I have looks very different?

I have a koa Pono Tenor I picked up from Musicguymic on ebay. I'm actually lucky that I live in Hawaii so I can go direct and pick up anything I want to buy. Shipping is not a problem for Mike. He does it daily. Very hard worker. Great products. You cant go wrong buying an instrument from him. Sorry for the shameless plug ! hahahaha.

I love my Pono. Beautiful sounding. Well built. Was a great price for the instrument. I will take some photos and post them for you.

Koa.. is that the brand name?? or is it something els and Koa is just the short term?
Koa is a tonewood found only in Hawaii and is the favorite material use to build ukuleles due to it's color and mellow tone qualities. (Koa, I believe, also grows in one other country, Canada maybe?...but the color and tone are not the same.) Hawaiian Koa trees grow in the volocanic soil which give the wood that special dark, orangish hue. Due to their scarcity and demand, Koa trees in Hawaii are protected by the state from poachers. thanks..e.lo......

Last edited:
Okay...here is my Pono. Its a PKT....older model.

Attachments

• pono8.JPG
    pono8.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 11
  • pono7.JPG
    pono7.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 11
  • pono6.JPG
    pono6.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 11
  • pono5.JPG
    pono5.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 5
  • pono4.JPG
    pono4.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks. It is a nice uke. Its does sound good. Nice bright sound. I was actually thinking of chaning the strings to worths or back to Ko'olau golds to see how they sound. Its been a while since I changed from the original ko'olau gold strings to the current Aquila's. Btw, Ko'olau ukuleles makes this Pono Line.

Top Bottom