Baritone Strings

mingus

Reaction score
Just got a new Kala solid Acacia baritone from HMS!

Nice uke, but don’t like the Aquila strings!

What strings do you all recommend for standard Low Dgbe linear tuning?

Looking for something with higher tension and more volume!

d'addario bari strings defo feel like they have higher tension than aquilas, and you still get the wound d and g strings (i've tried both, i actually prefer the lower tension of the aquilas, indeed i have aquilas tuned down half a step on my two nylon string bari's, the tension is soooooooooooo low!!)

to be more specific, the d'addario strings i tried were EJ88B, they feel very much like classical guitar strings

Ukulele strings are classical guitar strings.
If we look at it objectively, many of today's ukuleles are basically small classical guitars, probably even assembled in the same factory lines as them.

For a baritone ukulele, using the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of any classical guitar set of your choice works for standard DGBE tuning.
I do like D'addario Pro-Artes, as well as Savarez and Thomastik classical sets on baritone ukes. Aquila baritones have always felt a bit thin for my liking.

Ukulele strings are classical guitar strings.
If we look at it objectively, many of today's ukuleles are basically small classical guitars, probably even assembled in the same factory lines as them.

For a baritone ukulele, using the middle 4 strings (ADGB) of any classical guitar set of your choice works for standard DGBE tuning.
I do like D'addario Pro-Artes, as well as Savarez and Thomastik classical sets on baritone ukes. Aquila baritones have always felt a bit thin for my liking.

I’ve also liked Oasis GPX fluorocarbon guitar strings. SouthCoast makes excellent baritone strings. Martins sound good to me on a responsive baritone.

I've got half a dozen different string sets from various makers, but once I put on Living Waters I stopped right there.

Just got a new Kala solid Acacia baritone from HMS!

Nice uke, but don’t like the Aquila strings!

What strings do you all recommend for standard Low Dgbe linear tuning?

Looking for something with higher tension and more volume!

I have Pohaku koa baritone that came with Aquila strings. They were OK but not quite the sound I wanted. Well, I tuned them up half D# G#C F and it sounds very good. https://app.box.com/s/c1dxojhn6s3umc38vgy0m82mn6gxrg4u

I like Southcoast for my Baritone and Tenors. Also use wound G and C’s by Alvarez and D’addario on my Tenors.

I have used Martins, D’addarios, and Living Waters on my Baritones with good success. I have used Southcoast on my tenors and like them as well. I really like wound D and G strings, but I have soft fingernails and the wound strings tear them up. I am sticking with the Living Waters for now.

I'm looking for new low tension wound D & G bari strings.

Currently using Martin ones, which have a lovely low tension, but squeak horribly (although not as bad as the Aquilas before them). I got the Thomastik-Infeld ones recommended on here often, but they are much higher tension, so I'm not as big a fan.

Any other options?

I'm looking for new low tension wound D & G bari strings.

Currently using Martin ones, which have a lovely low tension, but squeak horribly (although not as bad as the Aquilas before them). I got the Thomastik-Infeld ones recommended on here often, but they are much higher tension, so I'm not as big a fan.

Any other options?

Try D'addario "Light tension" Classical guitar strings (use middle 4 strings to tune to DGBE)
da_prod_ej43_main_1.jpg

I'd think they'd be a bit lighter tension than "Normal" tension.

That being said, if you tension feels hard with normal strings, it might be your ukulele needing a setup to lower the action.

I had that model until I had to downsize and I liked the Aquila red baritone strings. I did not experiment very much, but the red's sounded good .

I have not tried classical guitar strings on my Bari’s yet. Thanks, Kissing, for the suggestion.

Yep, just make sure to use the middle 4 strings of the classical guitar set (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd or ADGB strings) to tune up to DGBE on a baritone ukulele.

Top Bottom