The Two Baritones

Wildestcat

Reaction score
Well it makes a change from The Three Tenors! I'll try again with the photos ... and another failure as even though I rotated the originals, they are still coming out sideways:( Can anyone help sort this out? The camera was in portrait mode for the shots but the pictures view in landscape on the PC as if the PC auto-corrects orientation. I have taken copies and rotated them, and the rotated versions view sideways on my PC. The originals view right way up, but whichever set I upload to UU, they always appear sideways on the post. Hope that makes sense!

P4231090.jpg P4231087 - Copy.jpg P4231099 - Copy.jpg P4291105 - Copy.jpg P4291111.jpg

One in European cherry & Engelmann spruce, the other in Black Walnut & European spruce. They are not quite identical as a measurement error put the soundhole on the walnut one 10 mm closer to the neck :eek: . Measure twice & cut once ... but first make sure you have the correct measurement! Anyway, I think I will make this a permanent design change for the future.

Soundwise the cherry/Engelmann combination seems a little brighter and Engelmann will be my preferred choice for future instruments.

For those in the UK looking for tonewood, the cherry & walnut along with London plane & a free trial set of yew came from David Dyke Luthiers Supplies - great service.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, can't help with that, can't you just edit this thread. Anyway, presumably you got the 2 Baritones finished on time, so I look forward to seeing them.
Mike

Last edited:
Well at least I can rotate my laptop to view them! Lovely instruments Paul, well done. Is that a new finish you're using or is it still Tru-oil?
Mike

Hi Mike - no, not Tru-oil. It's the very last of my Minwax wipe-on satin poly. I needed a finish I could rely on drying fully before MUMF. I like to leave Tru-oil a couple of weeks or so to harden up before a final buffing, and trying cellulose is still out of the question until the weather improves as I'll have to do it outdoors. I recently found someone from the states offering the original spirit based Minwax on eBay uk and ordered another can. However whether I will ever see it is another matter - the tracking says it is still awaiting receipt by USPS and hasn't been updated in 2 weeks ...

Top Bottom