Flamey koa Maertin

Saw this one for sale recently, might have been a refin., 20's koa Martin Style 1. Were flamey tops like this unusual for a Style 1? I would think so.

View attachment 108790
View attachment 108791

Martin decal was not used until 1935, from the front it appears to have Kulson tuners which where probably added. MY guess is between 1935 and 1944. Beautiful Ukulele.

Martin decal was not used until 1935, from the front it appears to have Kulson tuners which where probably added. MY guess is between 1935 and 1944. Beautiful Ukulele.

from: http://www.geocities.ws/NapaValley/Vineyard/1945/martin.html
"There are several ways to date your Martin ukulele. Martin put a stamp on the back of the peghead until 1933 and peghead decals first appeared in 1932, so occasionally you will find a ukulele with both the stamp and decal. Bar frets were generally used until 1934, afterwhich they used T-frets. There is a stamp on the inside of the body that, before 1962, reads "C.F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, PA". In 1962, Martin added "Made in USA" to this stamp. Other ways to date them are the inlays on the fingerboard, with early fancy models having diamond shaped inlays and the newer models having small round dots."

Saw this one for sale recently, might have been a refin., 20's koa Martin Style 1. Were flamey tops like this unusual for a Style 1? I would think so.

That's gorgeous, did you buy it?

Top Bottom