PDA

View Full Version : UAS is in our DNA!! And skills has nothing to do with UAS!!

kerneltime
05-05-2018, 03:51 AM
I think the blog post is a bit of humor and some light reading!
Please do not take it too seriously!
That said I came across this today morning.

https://www.gryphonstrings.com/acoustic-soundboard-buy-multiple-guitars/

They talk about GAS but it is no different..

Bill Sheehan
05-05-2018, 04:08 AM
Hahahahaha! Awesome article, Kerneltime !! I think the author is right--- "testing and comparing" is a big part of what drives our UAS !! It occurred to me yesterday, after watching fellow-member Vic's video about UAS, that for many (if not most) of us, the real fun of all of this lies in the "process" or the "journey" that it involves. So, maybe deep down we just want to keep that process going indefinitely, rather than actually settling on one instrument and declaring that the search is over!

kohanmike
05-05-2018, 06:35 AM
I fully embrace having UAS, as my signature would attest. I'm actually going to post a New Uke Day shortly. (But the reality is that I only have room on my humidified shelf cabinet for eight, so if I get a new one, another has to go.)

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

spongeuke
05-05-2018, 06:56 AM
As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
Happy member of the 40+ club

Croaky Keith
05-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Some will play anything that makes a noise, others look for that certain something that you can't really explain, & it takes time, (& a lot of purchases if you have to rely on the internet).

My quest is over, (famous last words), I found what I had been looking for, but I certainly had a lot of fun along the way. ;)

Yes, some people have a propensity to collect things, & why not, if they can afford it. :)

Ukecaster
05-05-2018, 07:17 AM
As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
Happy member of the 40+ club

40+ club...wow! I move em in and out, comparing different ukes is alot of fun. Eventually would like to settle with 2 sops, 1 concert and both low amd high G tenors.

bacchettadavid
05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
I have bought six ukes and sold four since I began playing the 'ukulele three years ago.

I prefer playing to shopping, but it took me some trial & error to find what I really like. These days, I have two: a K brand super concert for high G and a K brand tenor for low G.

Joyful Uke
05-05-2018, 02:02 PM
I'd like to hear more about the guy who has guitars hidden behind a false wall in his closet. How does he sneak in there to get one out to play? How did he get the wall built w/ no one knowing? (Unless he lives alone, but in that case, why does he need to hide the guitars?)

Makes me feel better about my UAS, anyway. Blame DNA, not me. :-)

UkerDanno
05-05-2018, 03:44 PM
I look for different sounds, though. I have 4 main players, Concert Kanile'a, a favorite, Concert, 8-string, Concert with Low G and an old Martin style 0. They all have different sounds and work better for different songs. But, on the other hand, I drink more than half a glass of wine...

rob g.
05-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Oh, dear - I think the GAS article may describe me perfectly! I will never be a good ukulele player, though I will go on learning chords and some simple stuff.... But I find myself loving the search for both knowledge about ukes (historical and current), and to find one more reasonably-priced instrument that is different from my others. I want a new brand, another kind of wood, a second soprano, and so on. Each one brings another element into the evaluation, and I am afraid I'll continue this way until I run out of untried sizes, makers, decades produced or money. At least I'm restricted to a fairly sane level of acquisition by my fixed retirement income - who knew that would be a good thing? I have inherited a genetic predisposition to collect things, and believe most ukuleles count as objets d'arte in their own right; even unplayed.

Joyful Uke
05-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Some much more useful advice.

http://acousticguitar.com/guitar-on-a-budget-pros-offer-advice-on-getting-the-most-out-of-your-gear/

Definitely some good advice, but not all doable for many of us. "Play as many guitars as possible before you make your purchase" is good advice, but many of us don't have access to a decent selection of ukuleles, (or even any), & have to purchase them to try them. That's one of the things that fuels UAS.

70sSanO
05-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Before playing the ukulele I played guitar. Years ago I would sing and the guitar was just an accompaniment instrument. It was not that important to have the perfect tone and so no real GAS. Years later I started to pick up a few of the must have USA electric guitars (I have an older Les Paul I absolutely hate to play, even though it is a great player). Those acquisitions were just GAS collecting and not for any real playing.

When I started playing ukulele, I only had one for a few years. I can sing to a guitar but not a uke no matter what I do. After learning to play fingerstyle instrumentals, my quest for tone kicked in. I have more than a few ukuleles, but it is more about having something which sounds/plays different than what I already have.

So while I agree that skill may not be a driver, there is a difference between a collector vs. a player. Neither is wrong, as both can drive purchases as I have been both.

John

Jerryc41
05-06-2018, 01:19 AM
Finally! Justification! As the article implied, you don't have to be a great player to justify accumulating a lot of instruments. I don't expect to be a great player, but I have thirty-seven ukes and over three dozen instructional books - and almost as many DVDs. My goal is to enjoy ukuleles, and I do.

kerneltime
05-06-2018, 06:08 AM
Yup! I play my ukulele with my limited skills cause I enjoy it! I did not get this joy when I tried a piano, recorder or guitar. I will get better cause I want to play more/different songs but playing the same set of songs and my limited improvisation is still a lot of joy and spiritually uplifting. Trying them on different instruments feels like scratching a very old and deep itch.

EDW
05-06-2018, 07:35 AM
While I am sure females are not immune, there seems to be something about guys and acquiring stuff. You hear of people doing the same with saxophones, guitars, bikes, cars, etc, etc. I remember back in the day I noticed that often women would buy an album of a particular artist or perhaps a classical symphony and be happy to listen to it. Many guys seemed to not be satisfied until they had the complete collection of that artist, full set of symphonies or the full boxed sets. Maybe it is some kind of weird competitive game mentality that he who has the most stuff wins.

I often think that it is better to aim to buy with purpose, to have instruments that you will use regularly and not just collect things to have. After all, it is just stuff.

Spicysteve
05-06-2018, 07:36 AM
You hit the nail right on the head Jerry!!! I am no great player either, but it gives me joy and happyness.
I have accumulated a few, each one a little something different than the other.
The whole thing soothes my soul.
Cheers,
Steve.

kerneltime
05-06-2018, 07:40 AM
hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS

Joyful Uke
05-06-2018, 07:55 AM
hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS

You talking about me? :-)

EDW
05-06-2018, 08:28 AM
hmm I at least know one lady who has UAS.. and another who has a whole bunch of varying instruments.. so no I do not agree.
If we are catering to stereotypes, there are other women oriented stereotypes around shoes, jewelry etc that falls in the same bucket as UAS

To me, shoes, jewelry or clothes are a bit different. I am not saying that it only afflicts guys, but that in my experience I have known more guys who have this issue.

kerneltime
05-06-2018, 09:53 AM
You talking about me? :-)

Now I know 2 :-)

Ziret
05-06-2018, 06:45 PM
40+ club...wow! I move em in and out, comparing different ukes is alot of fun. Eventually would like to settle with 2 sops, 1 concert and both low amd high G tenors.

I've got my concert and my low g tenor, and those will likely stay the same. But I currently have five sopranos, and I like them all. Three seems like more than enough, so two may go. Two are definite keepers, but the other three are different enough from each other and the top two that it's really hard to want to part with them.

kissing
05-07-2018, 04:44 PM
This explains why my level of playing is stuck at "Beginner Ben" despite having gone through so many ukes!

Rllink
05-08-2018, 04:53 AM
While I am sure females are not immune, there seems to be something about guys and acquiring stuff. You hear of people doing the same with saxophones, guitars, bikes, cars, etc, etc. I remember back in the day I noticed that often women would buy an album of a particular artist or perhaps a classical symphony and be happy to listen to it. Many guys seemed to not be satisfied until they had the complete collection of that artist, full set of symphonies or the full boxed sets. Maybe it is some kind of weird competitive game mentality that he who has the most stuff wins.

I often think that it is better to aim to buy with purpose, to have instruments that you will use regularly and not just collect things to have. After all, it is just stuff.

To me, shoes, jewelry or clothes are a bit different. I am not saying that it only afflicts guys, but that in my experience I have known more guys who have this issue.

New shoes......now you're talkin' :D

Start taking tap dance classes or cake decorating classes. You will see women who are afflicted. I've taken both and I've seen it. By the way, I've been doing tap dance for four weeks now. It is not going very well. Maybe I need to see if some new tap shoes would help.;)

Nickie
05-08-2018, 06:05 AM
I'm on my 15th ukulele (+1 banjouke). Only two of them helped me improve my playing, and they're the ones I've kept. Improving my playing/sound is the only reason I'd buy another, unless mine got smashed or stolen (heaven forbid). I don't believe in collecting anything, except friends and a few nice plants.

mjh42
05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Well I have only one UKE......but I do dream of having more.....I look at the market place every time I come here.....I read reviews of ukes'''''I watch video reviews.....I squirrel away money......check my paypal account balance......yes I will, maybe, not. of course buy another uke......it'll happen....maybe a resonator?????

Now my brother.....he has over 25 guitars now.....last 5 were a bit of a surprise dropping in his lap but he has them....and he is single no kids disposable income.....he plays pretty much weekly if not daily.......has a 3 bedroom town home with one bedroom for studio, one for storage, one for sleeping....some are older vintage guitars he bought years ago in pawn shops that now fetch a pretty good price.....a couple he put together from parts.....and everything in between......hey he seems pretty happy.....

manfrog
05-12-2018, 09:53 AM
This is what my DNA looks like! :)

Mivo
06-20-2018, 05:27 PM
"Play as many guitars as possible before you make your purchase" is good advice, but many of us don't have access to a decent selection of ukuleles, (or even any), & have to purchase them to try them. That's one of the things that fuels UAS.

Very true. I'd have gone through fewer instruments if I had been able to try them out before purchasing them. Watching videos helps, but it's not a substitute for playing an instrument. Even strictly buying used, which I think is the best approach from a financial perspective, is not easy to do if you're outside of North America and are looking for something a bit more specific (or even if you are not specific). I returned an instrument to a dealer, because it just wasn't sure about it and it had been too expensive to keep, but that's not an option that I would be comfortable overusing (and it's still hassle).

What I do think is a better approach is to stick to a small number of fundamentally decent (good intonation, suitable action) ukuleles and learning to play (on) them well before going on a shopping spree. I didn't follow that advice myself and I paid for it by taking losses on every instrument I sold. In retrospect, I think I tried to "get it right" at a point in my ukulele journey where I wasn't skilled enough to really be able to know what I wanted. I knew I wanted something and was willing to pay for it, but I didn't know what it was that I wanted. The exposure to, and experience with, various ukuleles did help me refine my preferences, but it was all a little uncoordinated and aimless, fueled by this forum and the hype that surrounds some brands/etc. Being able to play well also helps with comparing instruments and pinpointing more accurately what the new ukulele should have that the present one doesn't offer.

Controversially, I feel that UAS is sometimes compensation for impatience and still developing skill. (It was for me, at least.)

kerneltime
06-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Very true. I'd have gone through fewer instruments if I had been able to try them out before purchasing them. Watching videos helps, but it's not a substitute for playing an instrument. Even strictly buying used, which I think is the best approach from a financial perspective, is not easy to do if you're outside of North America and are looking for something a bit more specific (or even if you are not specific). I returned an instrument to a dealer, because it just wasn't sure about it and it had been too expensive to keep, but that's not an option that I would be comfortable overusing (and it's still hassle).

What I do think is a better approach is to stick to a small number of fundamentally decent (good intonation, suitable action) ukuleles and learning to play (on) them well before going on a shopping spree. I didn't follow that advice myself and I paid for it by taking losses on every instrument I sold. In retrospect, I think I tried to "get it right" at a point in my ukulele journey where I wasn't skilled enough to really be able to know what I wanted. I knew I wanted something and was willing to pay for it, but I didn't know what it was that I wanted. The exposure to, and experience with, various ukuleles did help me refine my preferences, but it was all a little uncoordinated and aimless, fueled by this forum and the hype that surrounds some brands/etc. Being able to play well also helps with comparing instruments and pinpointing more accurately what the new ukulele should have that the present one doesn't offer.

Controversially, I feel that UAS is sometimes compensation for impatience and still developing skill.

So what is your current set composed of?

Mivo
06-20-2018, 06:05 PM
So what is your current set composed of?

Still more than I think I need! Three sopranos (1920s Washburn, Famous/Kiwaya FS-5G, koa Black Bear), a Stagg concert (my first proper ukulele), a ukuMele/KPK tenor, a Deering banjolele, and a Pono Pro Classic baritone (sold it, then bought it back from the buyer two years later, really regretted selling it). I had a custom tenor, a couple KoAlohas, a Kanile'a GL6, a lovely Moonbird and some others that I sold or gave away. A Blackbird Farallon that I returned, too.

Looking back, I should probably have stopped buying stuff for a year or two after I got the Stagg concert, ukuMele tenor and a ukuMele soprano (that got irreparably damaged when I sat down on it). And I should have bought a baritone sooner than I did, but I felt it wasn't really a ukulele. It turned out to be a great fit.

kerneltime
06-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Thanks for sharing!