PDA

View Full Version : Slide Playing On Uke

AcousticMonster
05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Is anyone playing slide (like guitar slide playing) on their uke? If so, what tuning do you use?

deach
05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
first thing that comes to my mind
http://www.youtube.com/user/tHeDirTyJoHnSon

i think woodshed put out a book on using a slide with the uke.
http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/04/15/slide-ukulele/

AcousticMonster
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I'm wondering if he's using standard C tuning? Good find Deach!

HoldinCoffee
05-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I use a fluke for slidin'. The plastic molded frets are really tiny and don't get in the way. Sounds bad-ass. Woodshed's book is good. He uses a modified standard tuning, the A string is tuned up a smidge, maybe its down a smidge, can't remember. But tHeDirTyjOhnSOn has recommended quite a host of other tunings. Shoot 'im a message and he may be nice enough to share some of his dark wisdom!

swervy jervy
05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
If you can swing it, woodshed's book is a great place to begin.

AcousticMonster
05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I use a fluke for slidin'. The plastic molded frets are really tiny and don't get in the way. Sounds bad-ass. Woodshed's book is good. He uses a modified standard tuning, the A string is tuned up a smidge, maybe its down a smidge, can't remember. But tHeDirTyjOhnSOn has recommended quite a host of other tunings. Shoot 'im a message and he may be nice enough to share some of his dark wisdom!

Is he on here, or on Youtube? Thanks for the info. :shaka:

HoldinCoffee
05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Is he on here, or on Youtube? Thanks for the info. :shaka:

You can find tHeDirTyjOhnSOn here or on YouTube. Deach posted the man's youtube link, here's his UU link: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=6548

AcousticMonster
05-12-2009, 08:58 AM
You can find tHeDirTyjOhnSOn here or on YouTube. Deach posted the man's youtube link, here's his UU link: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=6548

LOL...oh yeah! I just watched it. I have A.D.D. by the way. :p

HoldinCoffee
05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
LOL...oh yeah! I just watched it. I have A.D.D. by the way. :p

That's to be expected after exposure to such mind-blowing awesomeness.

But all seriousness aside, slide uke is really fun and more people should experiment with it. Woodshed brought up a good point in his E-book in that you don't really need an expensive uke for it. An inexpensive, poorly set-up uke with unplayably high action and misaligned frets works perfectly since you're TRYING to miss the frets with the slide!

cpatch
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
To be honest, although I'm a huge fan of slide guitar I'm not such a fan of slide uke. With the exception of one video on YT where the guy is playing a baritone, the examples I've seen and heard are the aural equivalent of a little kid playing dress-up. It's cute, but far from the real thing.

Floyd Blue
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
... An inexpensive, poorly set-up uke with unplayably high action and misaligned frets works perfectly since you're TRYING to miss the frets with the slide!

That's exactly what I did. I put Steel-Strings on, to get a higher tension. I works great for blues. Tuning is open C (Gceg). Standard C tuning is also great, as it is C6 and sounds a bit Hawaiian.

ichadwick
05-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I've experimented a bit with slide uke, but I've not found a sound/combination I really like. I've tried glass, brass, plastic and other metals in slides. I've played them on Flukes, acoustic ukes, solid Eleukes and a Republic resonator. That came closest to the sound I was looking for, but still not as crisp and sharp as metal strings. The Mainland is a close second.

Still a work in progress - have yet to try it with my latest Cigar Box uke.

Brass and glass work well, without a lot of difference in the tone. I have a couple of hard plastic tubes that are almost as good and a lot lighter. With nylon strings they're not a bad choice.

I have both full and small-size slides. They small slides snuggle close to the palm on your pinky, and still let you use your finger tip for chords (although you can't bend it fully). The nice feature of the small slide is that it's

If you're hitting frets with the slide, you're either pressing too hard or the slide is at the wrong angle. It should slide lightly over the strings, with your fingers just barely dampening behind as required.

Funster
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
I have my action pretty low so I have to use a very light feel with my glass slide. But I like it. I'm just using regular tuning right now. I use slide on guitar with different tunings so I feel I've already been down the road. But it's very smooth sounding the uke. It sounds better to me on the larger ukes because of the higher tension.

BTW, a guitar player always thinks in guitar name forms even though they're wrong. It's just decades of habit that's impossible to break at least for me. To me 0003 will always be a G even though it isn't. When you play mostly by ear, it's all relative.