PDA

View Full Version : New Pins on the Kanilea

OhioBelle
05-06-2018, 10:53 AM
These are by John Pearse, purchased from Elderly. The set included six bridge pins, an end pin, and a strap pin. I was hoping the faux tortoise would work with the colors of the Kia. I think it does, and am quite happy.

bsfloyd
05-06-2018, 11:45 AM
They look great!! John Pearse has nice stuff. I have some of their faux tortoise shell guitar picks that are nice. For bridge pins I normally steer toward Bob Colosi, but these look real nice!

Jerryc41
05-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Very nice. I like the look of pins on a bridge.

OhioBelle
05-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Thanks all! I didn't mind the stock black plastic ones too much (with the exception of the molding seam), but since I needed a strap button, I thought "why not?" Now that they're installed, I'm really liking the look.

And yes, bsfloyd, I agree about Bob Colisi. I have some of his lovely vintage bone pins on the Taylor GS Mini from my guitar playing days. I highly recommend his work as well.

sbanacho
05-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Did these fit without modification?

I tried to use Taylor brand pins (ebony with abalone dot), and they didn't fit. I ended up using them on a guitar that had plastic pins instead, but am still looking for nicer looking, non-plastic, pins for a Kanile'a.

OhioBelle
05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
The shafts fit perfectly in the holes. The knobs stick up a bit higher then the originals, as they've got an extra shape, like a collar, at the base. I'll take a pic for comparison.

OhioBelle
05-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Okay, this pic clearly shows that both pins have collars. The John Pearse is just taller.

WaylonUkulele
05-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Nice stuff!! He sells some good stuff.

UkerDanno
05-08-2018, 05:32 AM
I like the matching pins and strap buttons! I think Kanile'a could do a little better on their instruments than plastic bridge pins.

I got some pins from Kanile'a, I think they're rosewood and a snakewood strap button from Stew-Mac...

Uke Don
05-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Did these fit without modification?

I tried to use Taylor brand pins (ebony with abalone dot), and they didn't fit. I ended up using them on a guitar that had plastic pins instead, but am still looking for nicer looking, non-plastic, pins for a Kanile'a.

My recollection is that Taylor pins have a 4 degree taper, while most others are 3 degree.

OhioBelle
05-08-2018, 04:01 PM
I like the matching pins and strap buttons! I think Kanile'a could do a little better on their instruments than plastic bridge pins.

I got some pins from Kanile'a, I think they're rosewood and a snakewood strap button from Stew-Mac...

Agreed on the black plastic, Danno! And love those rosewood pins on yours. Great complement to the binding.

hollisdwyer
05-09-2018, 03:58 AM
If youíre looking for exact fit, try Bob Colosi in Georgia http://www.guitarsaddles.com/
If you send him the originals that fit, he will make up a set out of a range of materials. Heíll Also do saddles and nuts. Iíve purchased stuff from him before. His work is of the highest quality.