fretboard meets radiused top

mvinsel

Reaction score
Hello Uke Luthiers,
I have an ukulele in progress where the sides and Spanish style neck are currently at the same height. I have not yet lowered the sides and the neck by the thickness of the soundboard, to make a level surface for the fretboard (yes I know it's easier to do this before joining the sides to the neck).

This is this will be my first build with a radiused top, so I envision that the soundboard that is under the fretboard extension will have some roundness to it - should I plan on shaping the underside of the fretboard extension to accommodate that?

If I have to do that anyway (or if it's not necessary), why bother with the neck and sides to bring the top down level to the neck - why not just take material out of the bottom of the fretboard extension to accommodate the top ?

Any advice and sarcasm too is most welcome.
-Vinnie

Hi Vinnie, As I understand it, the dome of the top is apexed around the bridge area. The upper area above the soundhole where the fretboard extends is essentially flat. The upper transverse brace is therefore not arched, making this part of the soundboard flat. So your fretboard bottom can stay flat. I got this from a book on classical guitar making, fwiw...

Top Bottom