PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Flight TUS35 ABS Travel Uke

Bales1983
05-10-2018, 03:40 AM
Well yet another new Ukulele arrived today! Greeted by the usual delivery driver with the usual comment 'Another new guitar?' Usually just smile as dont have the time to explain its NOT a guitar :D

This one is an ABS Soprano Uke direct from Flight Music in Slovenia, it is pretty much all ABS except the sound board and an inlay for the front of the headstock,

It plays amazingly well with one of the lowest actions i have seen so far in my Uke journey, any lower and im sure it would buzz. Nice inlay detail for fret markers at 5 7 10 and 12 and a zero fret for intonation. As its ABS molded all of these should be spot on. Standard unbranded geared tuners, the work well with no wobble.

It came with a very good quality fitted gig bag included and is available in about 6 different colours.

This was a great buy at 45 euros (about £40) with free European delivery! I ordered this on 30th April so it did take 10 days to wind itself across Europe to me in the UK.

Im finding it ideal as a beater to just carry around with me so I can practice as much as id like too.

I saw Baz review its bigger brother the TUS50 and i have to say I agree these are nice just as he said.

Well worth a punt if your looking for a sturdy take anywhere strummer :)

Lee

Jan D
05-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Glad you like your new Flight uke, Lee. I bought my TUS35 (in dark blue) from a UK website (musicroom.com) shortly after Baz did the review of the TUS50. I paid about US$6.50 for regular mail delivery (10-14 days). You can imagine my surprise when the uke arrived at my door in Oregon (USA) only 4 days later! It's a great little ukulele for the money. Good tone, good action, good intonation. It's my first soprano scale uke, and it has unexpectedly become my gateway instrument into thumb picking. The great sustain (especially on the A and E strings) is very helpful to someone new to finger-picking, like me. :-)

Bill Sheehan
10-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Hi Lee, Jan, and all! I recently got the Flight TUS35 in the orange color, and I have to agree, it's a wonderful value. I've put Martin M-600 strings on it, and they give it a nice edgy tone. I also replaced the stock tuners (which frankly were just fine, but you know how it goes...) with a set of geared Grovers that I had lying around; the screw holes lined up perfectly with the new tuners, but I did have to pop out the chrome bushings from the holes in the headstock, and then slightly enlarge those holes, to allow the Grover posts to slide through comfortably. Then, I slid some little black plastic donut-shaped thingies (which I had purchased online a while back) over each post, as a finishing touch, prior to attaching each new string. I'll try to include a couple of photos here. This little uke sounds really good, honestly, and is comfortable to hold, and plays about as accurately as any uke I've played. A very pleasant surprise indeed!
112566 112567

Jarmo_S
10-07-2018, 03:20 AM
My TUS 50 has the finest intonation. I was surprised you told it being of low action, because actually to me the action is quite high, despite the zero fret of course.
That is important and I love the intonation be just fine up to 15th fret.

I too have put Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on it. They work just nice in case you wonder. The sound of TUS 50 (I guess 35 too) is wonderful when picked and solo played. When strummed the plastic nature will show up somewhat and I prefer a wooden uke then over.

But as a newbie uke with a good intonation it gets a nod from me Yes.

Bill Sheehan
10-07-2018, 04:04 AM
Good thoughts, Jarmo. I would say the action on mine is "medium-low"; and yes, finger-picked passages sound very crisp and distinct, while strummed passages can in fact be just a little "muddy", but I've found that this can be controlled to a fair degree by easing up on the strumming attack. One thing I really like about this uke is that when you play it, you can feel the whole thing vibrating in your hands, and it sort of feels like the instrument is part of you. Sounds strange, I know, but it's pretty cool!

Lillymo
11-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Amazon currently has the turquoise version (TUS35 LB) for $27.81.

I just talked myself out of buying another ukulele, but I'd been eyeballing the Flight Travel Ukes and this was too good a price to pass up. I have a Flea I really enjoy and I'm curious how they compare.

Bill Sheehan
11-07-2018, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on that turquoise special, Lilly! I'm doing my best to fight off the impulse to grab one, as I am so happy with my orange one!
I think you'll find that the Flight compares favorably to the Flea. The main difference I've noticed is that the Flight will feel just a little more "weighty" in your fretting hand, which to me is not necessarily a bad thing. I have had a few Fleas and Flukes (still do), and I've always been very satisfied with them. The Flight TUS-35 is a nice variation on the theme, and I give it good marks for sound, playability, and accuracy.

Ziret
11-08-2018, 04:35 AM
I like that orange, Bill. I have a dark blue one fitted with Aquila Reds and it sounds great picked or strummed. If I didn't feel I have to own a good mahogany soprano, it could be my only soprano. So I got one of the turquoise ones for $25 with tax--like I needed it. They are so durable, you can hand one to a curious child and let them have fun, and not worry at all about damage. I suspect that's where the new one will end up. I love taking mine camping.

Thanks for the heads-up on that turquoise special, Lilly! I'm doing my best to fight off the impulse to grab one, as I am so happy with my orange one!
I think you'll find that the Flight compares favorably to the Flea. The main difference I've noticed is that the Flight will feel just a little more "weighty" in your fretting hand, which to me is not necessarily a bad thing. I have had a few Fleas and Flukes (still do), and I've always been very satisfied with them. The Flight TUS-35 is a nice variation on the theme, and I give it good marks for sound, playability, and accuracy.

Jarmo_S
11-08-2018, 05:42 AM
I hope they have changed the plastic fretboard frets to something more durable than in my TUS 50. I have changed the original nylgut strings to Martin M600 fluorocarbon and I do notice some dents on the lowest frets under the strings. They don't affect yet any on the intonation or sound, so I hope it will last still much longer.

I don't see anything else wearing out.

The zero fret especially makes tuning such, that I can many times just downtune a too high pitch string, as the usual procedure is to tune too low and then up to a pitch.The mechanism is so smooth I think.

PrivateEyeball
11-08-2018, 04:49 PM

I just talked myself out of buying yet another ukulele, but I'd been eyeballing the Flight Travel Ukes and this was too good a price to pass up. I have a Flea I really enjoy and I'm curious how they compare.

The price for that one has been going up and down for a few weeks. I bought one when it was at $32. Was gonna buy another if it dipped below $20, but it fell to $22, then shot back up to $29.

I've been having a lot of fun watching (and playing) that thing.

In the week or so I've had mine, it's pretty much bumped the Outdoor Uke as my "toss it in my backpack and go to work" uke. My favorite thing, though, is the nut width. The nut on my tenor Islander is a tad wider, but from what I can tell, string spacing is virtually identical (any difference is trivial).

Bill Sheehan
11-09-2018, 12:15 PM
I like that orange, Bill. I have a dark blue one fitted with Aquila Reds and it sounds great picked or strummed. If I didn't feel I have to own a good mahogany soprano, it could be my only soprano. So I got one of the turquoise ones for $25 with tax--like I needed it. They are so durable, you can hand one to a curious child and let them have fun, and not worry at all about damage. I suspect that's where the new one will end up. I love taking mine camping.

Well, Ziret, it's often been said that everyone needs a turquoise uke... what...? that hasn't been said, ever...? well, okay then, I'm glad you got one anyway!
I agree with what you said-- but for the desirability of a nice mahogany, the orange Flight could be my only soprano too!

Lillymo
11-10-2018, 06:10 AM
Mine arrived a couple days ago. It's pretty nice, very responsive and a lot of fun to play!

Something I haven't seen mentioned in any descriptions - the finish on the laminate top is very very matte. I'm wondering if there's something simple I could do to make it more of a satin finish.

Any ideas? I know, probably a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Bill Sheehan
11-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Mine arrived a couple days ago. It's pretty nice, very responsive and a lot of fun to play!

Something I haven't seen mentioned in any descriptions - the finish on the laminate top is very very matte. I'm wondering if there's something simple I could do to make it more of a satin finish.

Any ideas? I know, probably a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hahahahaha, Lilly! You're probably right. I'll admit that too often my motto has been, "It ain't broke; let me fix it anyway".

Lillymo
11-10-2018, 08:58 PM
"It ain't broke; let me fix it anyway".

...said the man with the spare Grover tuners!

Bill Sheehan
11-11-2018, 03:53 AM
...said the man with the spare Grover tuners!

Hahahahahaha!! Got me on that one!! :o

Spicysteve
11-11-2018, 04:33 PM
I am with Lillymo, would sure like a light coat of satin urathane or such over the Turquoise. I am uncertain if it would lift the existing matte finish? Just happen to have a set of new Grover’s myself. One of the stock tuners turned with much difficulty and I had to do a little adjustment to get it working like the others.

Ukecaster
11-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Wow, just checked again, the light blue one is now up to $54.00 :uhoh:

Jarmo_S
11-13-2018, 12:44 AM
Katie teaches and plays a song with this Flight TUS-35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUq40B12PE

I think the blue coloring looks great and I like also the watercolor style finish. Looks better to me than say some solid color. Of course the singer is pretty too :)

Kenn2018
11-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I think y'all got some great deals.

Ukecaster
11-16-2018, 02:20 AM
How about this deal, today on Amazon? :wtf:

Bill Sheehan
11-16-2018, 05:39 AM
Whoa !!!! That must be the model with the built-in coffee maker.

Ukecaster
11-16-2018, 06:58 AM
Whoa !!!! That must be the model with the built-in coffee maker.

Bluetooth & voice recognition too. Uke...play yourself ;)

Bill Sheehan
11-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Hahahahaha! Yes! I don't know why that price would be so high, but occasionally you'll see things on "the big A" that appear to be way out of whack like that.

Bill Sheehan
11-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Got the all-black version of the Flight TUS-35 soprano a couple of days ago (just like Lee's, who started this particular thread). I have "tricked it out" a little by replacing the stock black-buttoned tuners with white-buttoned Grovers, and also by using those little white plastic tuning post covers in lieu of the standard chrome bushings in the headstock holes (which holes I had to enlarge ever-so-slightly from the back side in order to allow the Grover posts to slide through smoothly). This uke was perfectly fine out of the box, but I thought it might be fun to give it a little visual "pop" by making these alterations. I think it looks pretty good, kinda different. I have put a set of Martin M-600's on it, and it is very nice! Photo attached...

Lillymo
11-30-2018, 09:22 PM
I have put a set of Martin M-600's on it, and it is very nice!

Hey Bill - Sound sample with the Martin M-600's? I know I'll put fluorocarbons on my TUS35 eventually, would love a preview!

Ukecaster
12-01-2018, 01:41 AM
If Bill doesn't have one, I did Yellow by Coldplay over on the Links & Videos section, on my TUS35 with M600s.

Bill Sheehan
12-01-2018, 03:52 AM
Hi Lilly, I'm afraid I'm not able to provide a sound sample, but John's (Ukecaster's) video does provide a nice example of how the M-600's would sound on the Flight. (And by the way, John, great job on that Coldplay tune!) I have also had Fremont Blackline Hard Tensions on mine, and they sound very nice too, although they give you a little tighter feel (resistance-wise), and they have a slightly "rounder" tone to my ear, whereas I would describe the M-600's as a little more "crisp". Sounds like we're discussing pie crust.

rubykey
12-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Got the all-black version of the Flight TUS-35 soprano a couple of days ago (just like Lee's, who started this particular thread). I have "tricked it out" a little by replacing the stock black-buttoned tuners with white-buttoned Grovers, and also by using those little white plastic tuning post covers in lieu of the standard chrome bushings in the headstock holes (which holes I had to enlarge ever-so-slightly from the back side in order to allow the Grover posts to slide through smoothly). This uke was perfectly fine out of the box, but I thought it might be fun to give it a little visual "pop" by making these alterations. I think it looks pretty good, kinda different. I have put a set of Martin M-600's on it, and it is very nice! Photo attached...

we do seem to live in a black and white world these days ..
I like the domino affect....

I'm talking strictly Uke here when it comes to domino affect:-)

Bill Sheehan
12-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Domino !! Hahahahaha, Ruby, I love it !! But now you've got me thinking about getting pizza delivered...

dcuttler
12-21-2018, 10:35 AM
I just ordered one in orange from Presto Music in england to be shipped to me in Oakland CA.

fowl
12-21-2018, 11:29 AM
What does Presto Music charge for shipping to USA?

dcuttler
12-31-2018, 11:34 AM
What does Presto Music charge for shipping to USA?

They charged me $3.70, and the total price came to 42.45 including the shipping. I received an email today saying that it was shipped. I did not receive a tracking number, which may reduce the shipping cost. Either way I expect it should arrive in about 10 days.

I will let you know when it arrives.

Lillymo
12-31-2018, 06:49 PM
They charged me $3.70, and the total price came to 42.45 including the shipping.

Great price! In addition to orange, Presto also has the Flight TUS35 Travel Ukulele in black, red and dark blue.

https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/search?search_query=TUS35+ABS+Travel+Ukulele

dcuttler
01-01-2019, 01:38 PM
I think that the price on their website includes the VAT, which if they sell it to someone in the US, the portion of the price which is the tax helps to offset the cost of shipping to the US. Anyway I am looking forward to having the Flight ukulele, which will probably end up living in my car.

I may restring it with Fremont blackline strings. I just put a set on my Cordoba 21T tenor, and they really transformed the sound of it. Also the black strings will look very cool on an orange ukulele.

Wukulele
01-01-2019, 02:57 PM
I just ordered one in orange from Presto Music in england to be shipped to me in Oakland CA.

I wonder if you'll be charged customs fees... which even if you do get charged, it shouldn't be too much.

Wukulele
01-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Hmmm interesting.
The arched back makes me wonder how the Ovation style uses sound... available on eBay etc & *really* inexpensive when ordered in bulk from China wholesale.

dcuttler
01-07-2019, 02:25 PM
I just received the orange travel ukulele, and it's really orange.

Holding it is like holding a wet bar of soap. Gonna look for some grip tape. To those who asked, there was no duty charge.

I will report with an update in the future.

Bill Sheehan
01-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Hey dcuttler, I have the orange Flight soprano too, and I have grown to like it a lot. I think it's the first "composite" type uke I've owned that doesn't sound like "strings over a bucket" (an expression I picked up from one of our respected forum members). I tried Fremont blacklines on it, which made for a good visual effect, and they sounded nice and played accurately, but sonically I have found Martin M-600's to be a little sweeter. Of course, this time next week I'll probably have blacklines on it again, you know how it goes. I did replace the stock tuners with similar-looking Grovers. I feel like this uke can hold its own with many of its more expensive brethren.

dcuttler
01-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Hey dcuttler, I have the orange Flight soprano too, and I have grown to like it a lot. I think it's the first "composite" type uke I've owned that doesn't sound like "strings over a bucket" (an expression I picked up from one of our respected forum members). I tried Fremont blacklines on it, which made for a good visual effect, and they sounded nice and played accurately, but sonically I have found Martin M-600's to be a little sweeter. Of course, this time next week I'll probably have blacklines on it again, you know how it goes. I did replace the stock tuners with similar-looking Grovers. I feel like this uke can hold its own with many of its more expensive brethren.
Bill,
I have a set of Fremont Blackline fluorocarbon strings that I probably will install soon, but I first want to give the original strings a chance.

The tuners are a bit rough, but they do work, and may improve over time. I am not going to be fussy about it as any money spent defeats the whole purpose of having a cheap ukulele that will live in my car. It looks pretty bullet proof.

The zero fret feature is quite nice. I had to work on the action of my other two ukuleles, but this one is fine as it is. I am new to ukuleles, and now have 3 different sizes to compare. My tenor and concert are ok with my large hands, but the soprano is pushing the limit for me.

One thing I would like to do is to glue on something that I can use to mount a strap. As it is it wants to slither off my lap.

dcuttler
01-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Well I finally put my Flight Travel ukulele in my car along with the book “Lute to Uke”.

I generally plan my morning commute so as to arrive early just in case there is anything slowing traffic on the way. Arriving early I usually surf the internet while sitting in my car until 8:00am. Not any more, I pulled out my Flight ukulele and practiced some early music.

The acoustics inside my Subaru Forester are a good match for the plastic ukulele. It sounded really nice, and I am pleased with my purchase. I was going to upgrade the strings, but I have changed my mind, and will keep the strings that came with it.

All I need to do now is to apply a strip or two of rubber anti slip material to help keep the ukulele from sliding, and life will be good.

Oh did I mention that it's orange? 👍👍👍

Bill Sheehan
01-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Awesome, dclutter! Glad it's working out for you! I'm lovin' my orange buddy too!

Jerryc41
01-16-2019, 12:52 AM
That looks very nice, and the ABS will certainly be durable.

Jerryc41
01-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Current pricing for the TUS 35 ranges from $55 - $297. Quite a spread. The LB is now $297.58.

Bill Sheehan
01-24-2019, 04:09 AM
Sounds like you're all set! And what a great way to spend that early-arrival time frame!

kmehrzad
03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
I agree with you, Bill, about the Flight uke vibrating in your hands and feeling as if a part of you. Totally get it. I like what you did with the tuners. My only complaint with the Flight TUS50 are the tuners themselves. They're not very responsive; I need to turn a rotation or so just to get a slight movement in the string. I tried tightening the tuners but there are no screws on the sides of the knobs, just screws on the back of the geared area. It was very hard for me to attempt the tightening which didn't seem to make any difference.

Bill Sheehan
03-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Hi Kmehrzad, yes, those Phillips-head screws on the back of the geared area like to be tightened just to the point of a gentle snugness, plus maybe just a tiny little extra. In my experience their function is just to hold the little "gear wheel" in place, so of course they need to be reasonably snug, but you don't want to "bear down on 'em" too hard either. I don't think those screws really have a significant impact (if any) on the "holding power" of the tuners as such. Now, with regard to the issue of getting only a slight movement in pitch with each rotation, did you by chance install a new set of strings? If so, during the process of little-by-little getting those new strings up to standard pitch, it would not be uncommon to find that you'll turn a tuner a couple of times and the pitch only goes up a little; but that'll take care of itself after a while, once the strings have fully settled in. I generally crank new strings up to pitch very slowly, over the course of maybe a half-hour, little by little, until they're close, but not quite there; and they'll stretch and go down in pitch every few minutes, so I very slowly give them a couple more turns, stopping each time a string doesn't seem to want to continue rising in pitch, and coming back five minutes later, so as not to force it into its new job too quickly. In short, it's a very slow process. After a week or so, things will be stabilized and you won't have to "work it" so much. But honestly, being a stickler for perfect tuning, I check and tweak my tuning every time I pick the uke up, so it's kind of an ongoing process. I hope this might help a little!

kmehrzad
03-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Hi Bill,
No, I've kept the original strings. I'd really love to change out the tuners as you've done on your Flights ukes (you have two, correct?). If it's not too troubling for you, would it be possible to step by step tell me what I'd need and how to change my tuners? I'd order some from Amazon and those front plastic rings if need be. They look so nice on your woodgrain and the black uke that you've tweaked. As you mentioned, the Grovers were an exact fit. That's what I'd be looking for - something very simple to do - just a swap out. Thanks for your consideration, Bill. Kathy

Bill Sheehan
03-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Hi Kathy, I can't recall if you mentioned what color your Flight is? Are you considering white tuner buttons/plastic rings, or black?
I must admit, I'm not really very handy. So in making these modifications, I was sort of playing by ear.
The first thing I did was to loosen and remove the strings.
Next, I unscrewed the mounting screws from each tuner and removed all of the tuners (with a properly sized Phillips head screwdriver).
The more challenging part was to pop out the four silver "ferrules" (hope I'm using that term correctly), because they're slightly too narrow to allow the replacement (Grover) tuning posts to slide through. Those little silver guys are stuck in there pretty tightly, however, so I had to very carefully use a combination of pushing a flat-head screwdriver into the hole and gradually popping each one out, or, on a couple of them, using a drill with a fairly large bit, to try pushing them out (careful!). Once the silver things were out, then I had to slightly enlarge the four holes so that the new Grover tuners would slide through them (the silver pieces at this point are of no further use). I did the slight enlargement with a drill (the bit being, just by coincidence, just about the right size to open up those holes just a little bit). The good news is that all you have to do after that is install the new tuners; you'll find that the mounting holes are a perfect match, so no re-drilling of those should be necessary. Once the new tuners are in place securely, slap a new set of strings on there (I would recommend Martin M-600's), remembering to slide a plastic ring over each tuning post before you put a new string on it. So, that's basically what I did!

kmehrzad
03-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Bill, thanks for the instructions. Once I saw the word 'drill', I said to myself be happy with the tuners on the uke. I'll keep what I have and make the best of it. Thanks, though, for taking your time to explain; I appreciate that. Sounds very doable but I'd not be happy with myself if the drilling part of the process didn't go well.

Bill Sheehan
03-08-2019, 05:45 AM
No problem! You are welcome!

Kenn2018
03-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Lilymo, If the finish is too matte for you, an easy way to move it towards a satin finish is to gently rub the uke down with a cloth.

I used an old t-shirt. Nothing too rough. And just go over the uke a few times. I follow the"grain", but I don't think the direction matters a whole lot. The gentle "buffing" or "rubbing-out" of the finish takes down the matte to a satin pretty quickly. Don't forget to go under the strings. I used a pressure similar to drying my hands. Your experience may differ.

It is exactly the same process and effect that you get after playing a uke with a matte finish for a while. You wind up with a satin or semi-gloss area where you've been strumming or handling it a lot. You can accelerate and protect the satin you like by using an instrument cleaner/wax product made for satin finishes. It won't produce a satin finish on its own, but it will help maintain the one you have buffed out. It's optional in the process.

I actually did this with my Martin T1 IZ tenor. I hated the matte finish. It made the wood grain hard to see, and I didn't like the harsh hiss it made when clothing or my hands went across the surface. I gently rubbed it down with a rag a few times and then applied a little Music Nomad Guitar Detailer for Matte finishes. It improved the looks of the mahogany and the tactile feel is much nicer. Test it to make sure it's OK on the plastic.

It's easy to do while watching TV or waiting for water to boil. (The extent of my cooking abilities.) Be gentle so you don't rub through the finish. Do the rub several times and voila! No refinishing needed.

Spicysteve
03-08-2019, 03:16 PM
I have toyed with idea of a light coat of satin lacquer on the sound board and headstock of my light blue TUS35.
I went so far as to inquire with Flight, they responded in a very timely fashion but wouldn’t give a definitive answer if applying lacquer would lift the light existing finish.
So I haven’t been able to bring myself to take the risk.

Lillymo
03-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Saw a bunch of auctions on eBay today that could save anybody pondering a purchase some money.

From a seller in the US: $59.99 including shipping with a BEST OFFER option - I'm curious how low they're willing to go.

From a seller in the UK: just under $50 including shipping to the US.

I bought mine in November, still love it, it's not just a temporary infatuation!

Jarmo_S
03-27-2019, 08:39 AM
I played again yesterday with my soprano TUS50. The only thing I don't like are the plastic frets. The sound I like.

They are probably ok for most even these days, but I hate that some day my uke will become plastic waste, just because of the fingerboard.

dcuttler
03-27-2019, 08:51 AM
I played again yesterday with my soprano TUS50. The only thing I don't like are the plastic frets. The sound I like.

They are probably ok for most even these days, but I hate that some day my uke will become plastic waste, just because of the fingerboard.

I was playing my Flight this morning in my car before going into work, and am still enjoying it. Yes it is plastic, and eventually the frets may wear out, but it was so inexpensive that I consider it disposable.

Lillymo
03-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Lilymo, If the finish is too matte for you, an easy way to move it towards a satin finish is to gently rub the uke down with a cloth.
I love your low tech, noninvasive suggestion. I've gotten used to the super matte finish but I just might try this. Thank you!!