Baritone Retreat Workshop with Kimo Hussey - August 2018

turtledrum

Reaction score
Les Stansell, a fine luthier, is hosting a baritone ukulele retreat led by Kimo Hussey: the Pistol River Ukulele Retreat - Aug 9-12.

Les may be contacted at: stansellguitars@gmail.com

His website is: www.stansellguitars.com

Here's the info. I have so far. Les told me today that there are about 8 slots open at this point for additional participants. Linda

1st Annual Pistol River Invitational Baritone Ukulele Retreat and Kanikapila

August 9 - 12 (Thursday Afternoon - Sunday Morning)

Instructor - Kimo Hussey - (with a little help from his friends) "De-Mystifying the Baritone Ukulele”

Classes focused around the Baritone Ukulele with Occasional Spontaneous Kanikapila and Saturday Night Concert!

Note: Subject to a minor change or two if necessary.

Thursday August 9 - 3 to 5 pm Orientation/ "Meet and Greet”/Builders Display (Stansell/Roberts/Kinnard) at the Hall - 5pm Reception/Open House at Stansell Guitars & Ukuleles

Friday August 11 - 9 am to 12 noon . . . 2 to 4 pm Class/Instruction by Kimo - 6 pm Dinner Extravaganza/Kanikapila/Jam ‘till whenever.

Saturday August 10 - 9 am to 12 noon . . . 2 to 4 pm Class/Instruction by Kimo - 8 pm Pistol River Concerts Presents "Kimo Hussey & Friends”

Sunday August 12 - 10 am . . . Coffee/Discussion/Wrap-up/Aloha

25 Attendees @ $250 for Tuition + Friday Night Dinner (Spouses/Significant Others/Family Members are welcome to attend the Friday Night Dinner and Activities for $50)

Featuring Ukuleles by Les Stansell, Mark Roberts and Kevin Kinnard

Lodging available at Arcadia Vacation Rentals, Pistol River, Oregon - Contact Chontel Klobas

I would love to come to this. I lived on the Oregon coast about 10 years ago. I am all the way in Florida now. It would be great to go to a Baritone workshop. They are pretty much ignored at most Ukulele Festivals.

Does anyone have an update from this event? Thanks.

Most of us drove back today (and had long drives..).

I am very happy that I attended, for many different reasons (being treated to Les and his family's hospitality, meeting and discussing ukes with some amazing luthiers and trying their ukes, spending time with like minded uke players, loving and buying a Les Stansell Baritone and visiting a beautiful place with my family, just Google pistol river and click on images).. and of course being taught by Kimo is a treat in itself (the original reason I headed there)

The concert was a fitting end to the retreat, it included Les' local band, STRUM, Hawaiian songs by Uncle Rod, Kimo and Manny and lots more..

You can check Mark Robert's (luthier who brought some of his amazing ukes to the event) facebook page, he has uploaded some pics and updates.

STRUM from Seattle are an awesome bunch of folks to hang out with!!

The icing on the cake was the multiple violin + baritone performances/jams over the 2 days! I think Kimo and Amy (apologies if I spelt it wrong) should do an album together!! I want to hear that amazing harmonization again! They had met only a couple of days before the performance and had barely any practice, yet, it was amazing!!

If you get the chance next year do attend!

Last edited:
kernaltime,

Thanks for the update. We were in Southern Oregon (Ashland, Jacksonville) for the Britt Festival (concerts cancelled due to wildfire smoke) - probably much nicer at Pistol River. Sounds like a great time.

Bill

Top Bottom