Tried the Anuenue UT200

gizzard

Reaction score
Visited Taiwan where I tried the Anuenue UT200. Got a chance to chat with the owner of Anuenue - he showed me his custom Koa Moonbird (wow).

Maybe Im just imagining things, but the sound of the UT200 blew my PONO AT out of the water. Then again, it is 3x the price :p

Ive never tried K brands - has anyone tried the UT200 in comparison to the premium Hawaiian Ukes?

I covet the UT200. It is my dream uke. Or at least one of my dream ukes.

Currently I own an aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III and while I love it, I actually prefer the tone from my mango Romero Creations Tiny Tenor. Can't speak to the Pono, never owned or tried one of those. That said, my aNueNue is an impressive instrument and a joy to play.

You may want to head over to this review ==> https://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/11/anuenue-ut200-mood-bird-tenor-ukulele.html

I think Tobias Elof plays one of these (I love his music...it makes sense to my European Western Music background). I thought that there were no more US dealers of Anuenue (my local store did carry some in the past)...and every time Tobias appears on the Ukulele Site Podcast, Andrew talks about carrying that model.

I think Tobias Elof plays one of these (I love his music...it makes sense to my European Western Music background). I thought that there were no more US dealers of Anuenue (my local store did carry some in the past)...and every time Tobias appears on the Ukulele Site Podcast, Andrew talks about carrying that model.

I don't think there is any distributor/dealer in the US currently. At least none I can find.

There are rumors of HMS picking up the line. Im thinking im going to pick up a UT200 on my next trip to Taipei! Owner said there was a 6 month waiting list...

I owned the concert version of the Moonbird for a while, and it was an exceptional instrument. Craftsmanship, sound, materials, playability, sound and projection, it had it all, at a comparatively low price. Had it been made in Hawaii, it would probably have cost at least twice as much. I sold it to someone who enjoyed concerts more than I did, but still, this was a great uke.

Visited Taiwan where I tried the Anuenue UT200. Got a chance to chat with the owner of Anuenue - he showed me his custom Koa Moonbird (wow).

Maybe Im just imagining things, but the sound of the UT200 blew my PONO AT out of the water. Then again, it is 3x the price :p

Ive never tried K brands - has anyone tried the UT200 in comparison to the premium Hawaiian Ukes?

I own one. I typically play low g but this is instrument is so bright and harp like it just really suited re-entrant tuning. I’ve played and owned a premium kanilea’ ( Koa slotted) and Pono master series (cedar, acacia) but can’t part with this. It’s truly remarkable instrument in my opinion easily as good if not better than a Kanilea’. It’s so playable and elegant, gorgeous tone and sustain that goes on, and on. I should mention I’m referring to the spruce/rosewood model.
But short answer YES as good as the High end Hawaiian made for sure.
Here’s a clip of me ‘ not doing it justice’.

George

https://youtu.be/HJFQZdaeiUM

I own one and love it. It's my go-to among my Koaloha, my Pono PC 5 Series, and even my Jupiter custom. Each of my tenors have a different tone, but the UT200 is a step above them all in terms of build, playability, and sound...From my limited playing experience, they are superior to entry-level K brands and stack up more evenly against the premium models, or even some nicer customs. If you like open-sounding ukuleles, this is a great instrument. The X bracing really does make a difference, and the thing sings when plugged in (I have an Air Air pickup).

I think it's hard to compare it to a Kanilea, which is known for a more focused and refined sound. Apples and oranges, IMHO.

I have the concert version and I agree that it sounds almost harp like. Almost like a classical guitar at times. It is a great uke!

I would LOVE to have a Moonbird some day. It has a beautiful voice. My playing capabilities wouldn't justify it right now. :rolleyes:

I have "only" the soprano Moon Bird. It is incredible, in regards to both sound and build quality. One of my favourite sopranos right now, if not the favourite. I suppose the Koa Birds are even nicer but I actually doubt they have the same complexity to the sound as the Moon Birds. The incredible balance of the bright spruce and dark rosewood is just sublime.

I have a US200 and a Kanile’a K1 soprano. They are both amazing instruments. The US200 is louder than the Kanile’a, but they both play like they should (high end instruments). They are the same as far as fit and finish go. The k1 has a wider neck, but the inner string spacing is the same. Both are amazing, but I lean a bit more to the kanile’a right now.

I have a US200 and a Kanile’a K1 soprano. They are both amazing instruments. The US200 is louder than the Kanile’a, but they both play like they should (high end instruments). They are the same as far as fit and finish go. The k1 has a wider neck, but the inner string spacing is the same. Both are amazing, but I lean a bit more to the kanile’a right now.

Interesting. I've never quite understood why people like Kanile'as so much. Every time I hear them they sound easily the worst for me when comparing it to the other K brands or other similarly priced ukes. I'm guessing it might be because of the strings because I find Aquilas often make higher-end ukes sound quite underwhelming. I'm still intrigued by Kanile'as because they are revered by so many. What strings do you use on yours?

Interesting. I've never quite understood why people like Kanile'as so much. Every time I hear them they sound easily the worst for me when comparing it to the other K brands or other similarly priced ukes. I'm guessing it might be because of the strings because I find Aquilas often make higher-end ukes sound quite underwhelming. I'm still intrigued by Kanile'as because they are revered by so many. What strings do you use on yours?

It's the strings. Try something else, anything other than those Aquilas. D'Addario Carbons, Martin M620's, Oasis, Uke Logic - all sound 1000 times better than stock. I have M620's and a Fremont Low G on mine - sounds stunning, absolutely stunning.

Top Bottom