Pleas help me fast - Looking for a Tenor Uke (max. 480 $)

Apfelkuch3n

Reaction score
Please help me fast - Looking for a Tenor Uke (max. 480 $)

Aloha everybody,

Friends of mine are flying to the United States this Sunday and I thought that this was my chance to finally get a good uke. After playing my orange Mahalo Soprano Uke which I got last year from a friend, I think it's time to move on and with the opportunity to get one over my friends I need your help.

My budget is 480 $ (max.) and I thought about a Pono Ohai Tenor Uke but I'm looking around on eBay.

Which tenor uke could you guys suggest? What about mango wood? Does anyone have a Ohai Uke?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Lou

/edit: What do you guys think of this Pono Mango Uke?

Last edited:
Your link was to musicguymics, he is a member here. Have you talked to him yet? He has a huge selection, and not all are on his ebay store. Contact him, he has great Cust. Service. Tell him what your looking for I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction. Other wise just search, there are several posts suggesting ukes.

Never heard an ohai uke. But I've heard nothing but good things about Ponos.

If you've been playing a soprano are you sure you want to make the jump to tenor? You could a pretty nice soprano or concert with that money too, not that that Pono is to be sneezed at. In the end it's up to you. Maybe send an email to MGM if you want to know more, I'm sure he'd talk to you.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm sure that I want to move on to a tenor. Played the Pono tenor of a friend of mine (he bought it last year in Hawai'i) and I'm totally sure that I want a tenor.

Thanks for the info about MGM. I already wrote him a mail at eBay and asked about shipping and asked him to give me a quick reply and he wrote back faster than I could think about it. Awesome service, like you said :)
And I asked him which tenor uke he would suggest.

Ohai wood Pono Ukes are brand new and not to be mistaken with Ohia (which is a wood used for floor in Hawai'i).

Greetings and thanks :)

/edit:

Where are ur friends flying to specifically?

They're going to stay in NYC for four day then they'll travel around for ten days and then they'll stay for four days at NYC.
Why do you ask? I thought buying one at eBay and let it ship to their hotel would be the best method because they're in the US because of their wedding anniversary and I don't want to bother them going to a Uke Store.

I'd love to be in a store surrounded with Ukes! *__*

//edit: Quick update, MGM told me that the Ohai Tenor Ukes are sold out and the regular batch isn't arriving until June, and he's suggesting a Pono Mango Tenor. His support is just great.

Last edited:
if you are in new york go to east village music. they have a great selection including the pono mango and mahogany. www.evm.com

if you are in new york go to east village music. they have a great selection including the pono mango and mahogany. www.evm.com

Thanks for the great info, I'd love to got there and try them but like I wrote above thats not possible. EVM.com isn't working.

Another info from MGM: "No I was mistaken the cedartop sold ohai model The all Ohai is Still available sorry about that. Yes the pono mango that is it and it is a far better ukulele"

Seems like a good choice!

Wow, looks extremely cool that uke! To my mind you can really do without the usual knickknack (inlay and stuff) - most important is that the thing SOUNDS good! And this cuty obviously does. (And the wood looks great, too!)
I think that the matte finish is also an advantage (even though glossy finish looks great), but I think the matte finish is better for the sound. My Pono Mango Tenor has a thick coat of glossy varnish and I think this muffles the sound a bit (I'm not an expert though). Good choice!
Man, now I want one, too!!! :eek:

Damn, damn, damn, I have UAS!!!

Wow, looks extremely cool that uke! To my mind you can really do without the usual knickknack (inlay and stuff) - most important is that the thing SOUNDS good! And this cuty obviously does. (And the wood looks great, too!)
I think that the matte finish is also an advantage (even though glossy finish looks great), but I think the matte finish is better for the sound. My Pono Mango Tenor has a thick coat of glossy varnish and I think this muffles the sound a bit (I'm not an expert though). Good choice!
Man, now I want one, too!!! :eek:

I've just ordered this cuty from MGM on Ebay... mercy on my soul if my gf finds out about it... Damn it... I suffer from a severe case of UAS!!!

Aloha,

nice to see you here :)

I think I'm going to order my Pono Mango PTM tomorrow. Gotta go to bed now.

And the duty and tax-free allowance is 430 € per Person. So I'm good to go if they are willing to bring one for me *__*

Greetings and thanks,
Lou

I think that the matte finish is also an advantage (even though glossy finish looks great), but I think the matte finish is better for the sound.

Caution: Myth Alert! Comparing the same type of material used and same method of application, whether a finish is glossy, satin or (God forbid), matte, surface texture has no influence on the way an instrument sounds.

Top Bottom