concert banjo uke with 10" drum?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
question for people as to playability:
I was thinking of putting a concert neck on a 10" Remo hand drum. This one, not one with a ring and tuning hooks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F7KGK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36ZEJOFQT6QSO

Looking at measurements, for correct bridge placement, it would put the bridge about in the center of the drum head. I haven't seen a banjo uke with the fretboard extending over the drum surface, so I can't think of another way to set it up.

My question is: how much will it affect sound to have the bridge almost in the center of the drum?

I'm a new player, but love banjo sound. I just got a Duke10, but the tenor neck may be too big. The more I practice on a concert the better I seem to be able to play on the tenor, so it may become a non-issue.

I was thinking maybe I could custom build one for myself to give it the bigger head and smaller neck. I was thinking it might sound more "banjo-y" but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

question for people as to playability:
I was thinking of putting a concert neck on a 10" Remo hand drum. This one, not one with a ring and tuning hooks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F7KGK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36ZEJOFQT6QSO

Looking at measurements, for correct bridge placement, it would put the bridge about in the center of the drum head. I haven't seen a banjo uke with the fretboard extending over the drum surface, so I can't think of another way to set it up.

My question is: how much will it affect sound to have the bridge almost in the center of the drum?

I'm a new player, but love banjo sound. I just got a Duke10, but the tenor neck may be too big. The more I practice on a concert the better I seem to be able to play on the tenor, so it may become a non-issue.

I was thinking maybe I could custom build one for myself to give it the bigger head and smaller neck. I was thinking it might sound more "banjo-y" but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

See here.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...S-Southern-Cross-Banjo-Uke-New-Model-quot-The

The bridge was about right for placement. Concert Scale 14.7 inches, worked well, not as loud as some banjo ukes but very playable. One day I may make another couple just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Dennis,

That's really beautiful. I guess I can try to figure out construction, but how about a truss rod like this:
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Truss_Rods/Adjustable_Truss_Rods/Traditional_Truss_Rod_Kit.html
a hanger bolt, held together with a coupling nut like this
https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Harbor-Coupling-Stainless-Extension/dp/B07BDK6Q57/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1526850833&sr=8-31&keywords=threaded+connecting+rod

I'll have to figure a way to put on a tailpiece, but I think you can see where I'm going.
If I'm using a purchased neck/fretboard I'm guessing I'd have to put a spacer block at bottom of neck since fretboard are longer than the neck, correct? Or maybe a tenor length neck and a concert fretboard would come out about even? I'll have to do some more measurements.

Thanks. And thanks for letting me see the lovely instrument you made.

Hello
I have made a few banjolele's from hand drums, but they have all been those ones that have head tightening mechanisms. I'd be a bit concerned that the bridge might sink once the strings are tensioned, or if the skin stretches in humid conditions. The last couple I made had floating fretboards that extended over the drum an inch or so. That works ok but it is hard to reach those frets.
Regards
Max

I've made "mountain banjos" with hand drum skin heads. The bridges do sink making them unplayable, but they shrink back if tension is released. Problem solved by making a light pencil line on the head where the bridge sits. When the instrument was put up I flipped down the bridge to remove tension. The bridge was trapped by the slack strings. Flipping it back up into playing position took only a second, and it always remianed playable during sessions. So far I've had no problems with synthetic heads stretching.

DSC_0315.jpg
DSC03273 (2).jpg

I've made "mountain banjos" with hand drum skin heads. The bridges do sink making them unplayable, but they shrink back if tension is released. Problem solved by making a light pencil line on the head where the bridge sits. When the instrument was put up I flipped down the bridge to remove tension. The bridge was trapped by the slack strings. Flipping it back up into playing position took only a second, and it always remianed playable during sessions. So far I've had no problems with synthetic heads stretching.

View attachment 109249
View attachment 109248

Thanks. Didn't think those Remo heads would stretch. Nice idea to just drop the bridge to side. Should I be doing it with the Duke I just bought or do the tuners take care of that? May get rid of it, but really hoping I can get my hands to stretch as I become a better player.

BTW jcalkin-- beautiful banjo! Wish I could play banjo, but the distance between frets is way too much for me

Top Bottom