String retainer bar?

fmakalidude

Reaction score
Hey y'all, so I built this ukulele that I'm happy with except for one problem. The strings buzz at the nut due to the headstock not being angled steeply enough. I am considering installing a sort of retaining bar to compensate for the angle like you see in many electric guitars. I used to be a guitar tech at guitar center and I have done this on a ton of guitars but don't know if it is unheard of in the world of ukuleles. Would doing this be unheard of or bad form? I would prefer to do this over taking material off the headstock of the finished product and refinishing it. But I will do that as a last resort if y'all think a retaining bar on a uke would be strange. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
How about cutting a scarf joint that could be either taken down on one end or a thin wedge inserted?

I do not see anything wrong with your plan. If you have a copy of Ukulele magazine’s summer issue, the article on J. Chalmers Doane’s Northern ukulele offers another solution. In a similar vein, I designed a simple ukulele to be used in a classroom setting, to keep construction as simple as possible, there is no angle on the peg head. A zero fret and an inverted nut screwed to the peg head right after the zero fret supplies the necessary downward pressure. An inverted nut could also work for you.
Brad

what angle do you have on the headstock. Are you sure it is a break angle issue and not a problem with the nut slots not being angled enough?

I ended up just filing down the headstock to the proper angle and refinishing. I still hold that a retaining bar would have been a great solution though. Here's a picture of the final product for the customer. IMG_20180519_125139176.jpg

Top Bottom