PDA

View Full Version : Strings for Tenor Ukulele

johnnysmash
05-20-2018, 07:19 AM
I just purchased a Tenor Ukulele. It is strung gCEA. If I decided I want a low G. What is best to do? Buy another set of strings that are GCEA or re-string it with classical guitar strings. What strings from the classical set should I use? Will Baritone strings work? Sorry, I am lost. Please help.

DownUpDave
05-20-2018, 07:54 AM
I just purchased a Tenor Ukulele. It is strung gCEA. If I decided I want a low G. What is best to do? Buy another set of strings that are GCEA or re-string it with classical guitar strings. What strings from the classical set should I use? Will Baritone strings work? Sorry, I am lost. Please help.

You only have to change the G string, you can keep the other 3 strings in place. Purchase a Fremont Soloist or Oasis Smooth Wound G string.

The G string will be approx. .030" in diameter so D string from a classical guitar set will do as they are usually that approx. size

Doc_J
05-20-2018, 08:00 AM
You only have to change the G string, you can keep the other 3 strings in place. Purchase a Fremont Soloist or Oasis Smooth Wound G string.

The G string will be approx. .030" in diameter so D string from a classical guitar set will do as they are usually that approx. size

Good advice.

UkerDanno
05-20-2018, 08:47 AM
What Dave said, or get a set of Living Water low G, lots of my friends swear by them on their tenors.

Mkel12
05-20-2018, 09:23 AM
I am using a Thomastik-Infeld chrome steel flat wound .030 low G. Ukulele Site sells them. Very smooth tone and lasts a long time.

kerneltime
05-20-2018, 04:38 PM
I am using a Thomastik-Infeld chrome steel flat wound .030 low G. Ukulele Site sells them. Very smooth tone and lasts a long time.

+1 these are awesome!

DownUpDave
05-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Yes that is another good wound low G string, model CF30.

hollisdwyer
05-21-2018, 07:39 PM
+1 on those TI CF30 low g. Just installed them on my Beau Hannam Tenor. Sounds and feels great.

luv2uke
05-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Agree that the TI CF30 and Oasis smooth wound. The smooth wound gives more boom to the bass than the TI; TI gives a more balanced sound with the other strings. Haven't tried the Fremont yet.

merlin666
05-28-2018, 09:17 AM
I put an Aquila redo on my tenor about 3 years ago. The nut and bridge slot had to be widened a abit, but it still sounds as great as when it was new. I don't know if wound strings keep their sound that long or go dull.