Hilo Strings

Jerryc41

Reaction score
What's the general opinion of Hilo strings? They seem to be out of the main stream. When I bought my first ukulele - a cheap soprano in an ABC Store on the Big Island in 2002, I bought a set of Hilo strings. They're still in their package.

I recently bought a tenor, and a set of Hilo strings was included.

Try 'em. Nothing to loose if you have a couple sets kicking around. Like every other string they are love/hate. They are very warm, kind of "thunky/plunky", fat in size... You can't really get them any more so "general opinion" doesn't mean too much.

Like Hippie Guy said Hilo has gone out of business, but Mele bought the factory and is selling similar strings under the name "Echoes of Aloha." I've got a couple of sets of the Echoes stings, but I decided I don't really like them. Still, it's worth a try. If you don't like them, just put something else on.

The original Hilo strings were Hawaii based and sold in bulk to ukulele makers . There were a few other outlets, the main one being Elderly instrument The owner retired and I believe the brand name and logo has been sold to a Chines manufacturer . The original strings were made of tynex . A dense and water resistant polymer made by Du Pont . I found them to be stable but lacking in tone .

The original Hilo strings were Hawaii based and sold in bulk to ukulele makers . There were a few other outlets, the main one being Elderly instrument The owner retired and I believe the brand name and logo has been sold to a Chines manufacturer . The original strings were made of tynex . A dense and water resistant polymer made by Du Pont . I found them to be stable but lacking in tone .

Thanks. Good to know. Maybe my 2002 strings are classics that could sell for a fortune. :D

iirc, since the demise of Hilo, Steve Evans is recommending D'addario pro arte strings, or he was when asked the question a couple of years ago.
Still on the original Hilo's on my Beltona, and have a spare set bought from a Justecordes in France. Currently only now showing Hilo baritone sets.
https://www.justecordes.fr/en/13-ukulele?page=2
h

Top Bottom