How the Ukulele Saved My life

bornagainjeeper

Reaction score
As you may or may not know, SOuthern Illinois recently got destroyed by a monster spring storm...no tornados...simply 90mph constant winds and 120mph gusts...nearly every tree, power pole, and roof top showed some scars, as well as thousands of tree turned upside down, may of which on houses, schools and cars. This all happened friday at 2 pm, and its now Tuesday at 9pm and I finally have power. Nearly 2000 Ameren workers (power company) have come nation wide to get our communities back on line, and i'm one of the few lucky ones, as many customers from various companies will be out of power for nearly 2 more weeks. YIKES!
SO what did i do this whole time...Ukulele....Warm Beer...mmmm. I played myself awake, i played myself out of boredom, and i played myself to sleep. I think without my uke i'd have gone well and truely squirrels by now. I met a fella down the street who's quite the slack tuned uke player himself, and a few guitar players. It seems almost fitting that my ukulele spent so many evenings with me, at home, by the light of the tiki torches.

Alex
a little video i found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jath_q6gLhY

Last edited:
awesome.

We had a fire on the mountain last year that knocked out power for a long, long time.
:wallbash:
I didn't even know what an ukulele was then....

I may have gone nuts.

What a great story. Playing the ukulele really does have healing and spirit lifting effects.
I had a customer come by the shop a while ago and buy a ukulele from me. His first time to Hawaii, he was on a trip of a lifetime, literally, as he was diagnosed with colon cancer, was in the last stages and had a very poor prognosis. He always wanted to come to the islands and yearned to learn to play the ukulele. He still writes me occasionally and credits playing the ukulele every day for saving his life. He says every time he picks up the ukulele he is transported back to peaceful Kealakekua Bay where he'd love to paddle a kayak on the tranquil waters with the turtles. That was three years ago. I hope to continue hearing from him for a long time.
Good luck to you Bouragain and kudos for keeping your spirits up. You're probably doing the same to others around you.:bowdown:

Top Bottom