My custom painted Fluke is here!

NatalieS

Reaction score
This project has been quite a few months in the making, so I'm very glad that it's done!!

As you might be able to tell from my avatar, signature, etc.... I'm a big fan of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. So back in January I started researching how I could possibly get an image of them on a uke! Due to copyrighting, a direct image transfer would have been illegal, however, I came across Mandy aka "Moogly Moo" and her wonderful custom painting work that she does on instruments. (Her website is www.paintedukuleles.com) Long story short, she designed a pretty rockin' image of Fred&Ginger and painted it onto a Fluke soundboard for me!!! It's got an image of them dancing in front of a wildly-colored art deco background. Pictures do not do this thing justice. It has the most beautiful gloss finish and vibrant colors.

So... FleaMarketMusic then assembled the whole Fluke at their factory. It's concert sized with a walnut neck and upgraded Grover 4B tuners. I opted for plastic fretboard because I prefer it to the rosewood and there's quite a bit of black in the painting so I feel it matches better. It's strung with Aquilas. I would recommend Moogly Moo's work to anybody-- she is very enthusiastic about her works and does her best to design exactly what you're looking for. I LOVE IT!!!

What do you all think? lol

flukesoundboard.jpg

flukefull.jpg

P.S. This is the inspiration picture we worked with. :)
FG1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, I've always wondered who did those custom fl(uke/ea)s.

That is one sweet lookin' uke!

JJ

amazing.. she is so busy she is not taking any new work.. good for her.. in these hard times.. if she is not taking work.. she must be busy.. unless her website is not up to date.. maybe she has a wait list.. good work.

Where her site mentions that, it says "Update 2008", so I don't know. I'm sure you could e-mail her and ask.

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone! I really love this uke and it will be with me forever.

Yeah, I did end up waiting a few months for my painting to be done but it was worth it! Also, mine was quicker to do because it was just a soundboard as opposed to entire ukes which she commonly does. Those might be a longer wait, but definitely email to check.

I'll have to shoot an e-mail her way tomorrow, to get an idea on how much I'll have to save up for that Boogiepop Phantom fluke I've always wanted...:shaka:

I'm a fan of art, and Flukes. Your new uke is truly a work of art.

WOW, That is awesome Natalie. I'd like to do something similar to honor my deceased dad but on a Flea since he played a Kamaka pineapple, and maybe get his face lasered on to the sound board and have two "F" sound holes instead of a single round one.

WOW, That is awesome Natalie. I'd like to do something similar to honor my deceased dad but on a Flea since he played a Kamaka pineapple, and maybe get his face lasered on to the sound board and have two "F" sound holes instead of a single round one.

I think that sounds like a really neat idea, and definitely doable. And as Walt Disney said, "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Top Bottom