PDA

View Full Version : We're back!! UU outage

Ukecaster
05-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Wha happen? I was going thru UU withdrawl, and actually had to play my ukes instead;) Thank God I had a new one being delivered yesterday!

I assume UU got hacked or something, maybe held ransom for a Kinnard, or lessons from one of our esteemed players?

I could still see UU, but it was all text, like a BB from the 90's. Time warp! ;)

Jim Hanks
05-24-2018, 01:50 PM
I could still see UU, but it was all text, like a BB from the 90's. Time warp! ;)

Ha! I tried to write that exact sentiment yesterday while experiencing the DTs but it wouldn't even post. :nana:

kissing
05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Oh thank goodness
I didnt know what I was going to do.
I was getting friends on different computers to try and open the page to see if it was just me

Spicysteve
05-24-2018, 03:22 PM
I was experiencing some serious withdrawals myself. So thrilled things are back up.

Nickie
05-24-2018, 04:39 PM
whew!
I'm glad that's over!

sukie
05-24-2018, 04:41 PM
I hate when I get all jittery. Glad it’s back up.

Mr. Sweetie
05-24-2018, 04:45 PM
I assumed that I had done something wrong! :D Thankfully we're back online.

lol, me too.

Joyful Uke
05-24-2018, 04:48 PM
I thought that the internet decided I was spending too much time browsing the marketplace & was trying to save me from UAS.

twokatmew
05-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I couldn't post, and it was hell trying to navigate! I tried to msg admins twice, but I'm not sure the messages got sent. I finally gave up and went instrument shopping. Lap steel guitar is in my future and one will be joining my Ukes in eight weeks. :)

twokatmew
05-24-2018, 06:35 PM
It will be interesting to compare experiences on Safari with other browsers. I could only get the text based screen on the Mac, and it showed a security warning. I went to the local library and tried again with Chrome and Chrome had a box to tick which cleared the security warning and opened the page as it appears now.
I looked up the Mac user sites to see how others dealt with the security warning. But it appears Safari has no way to let you open a page if it gets the warning alarm.
So is the issue a result of the recent Mac security update?
It was good to have a break, perhaps it is a timely reminder to us that we need to live a real life and get more control over the virtual world we can get caught up in.

No. I run Windows 10, and neither Chrome, Firefox nor Edge could see anything but unformatted text.

kohanmike
05-24-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm so glad that's over, also been having email problems during the same time period. I think there must have been an internet backbone problem.

I finally gave up and went instrument shopping. Lap steel guitar is in my future and one will be joining my Ukes in eight weeks. :)Me too, bought an SX Ursa Jr. (Fender Jazz style) B grade 30" scale bass from Rondomusic.com for $79 to which I going to have one of their 24" scale Hadean bass uke necks added and black pickguard by Eric's Guitar and have painted by Pat Wilkins bright orange including the truss rod cover. I love having UAS.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Rondo Jazz 22-33 900.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

spongeuke
05-24-2018, 08:33 PM
So glad see you all again, I'd almost lost hope

Pirate Jim
05-24-2018, 08:38 PM
I was wondering if it was due to various bits of the internet getting GDPR prepped? So glad it's back now!

Croaky Keith
05-24-2018, 11:03 PM
That's what crossed my mind - I thought maybe the owners didn't want all the hassle & had shut down the forums. :)

Just goes to show how we take things for granted - thank you all who have probably had a hard time sorting this out - we really appreciate you & your efforts.

Sharpshin
05-25-2018, 01:59 AM
It was discombobulating. I played my uke until I noticed a twitch of elbow pain, then...I was like, Yikes, now I am truly adrift.
Fantasized about buying all the Timms on eBay, abandoned that thought as impractical...looked for baritones instead, then walked the dogs and enjoyed our fine weather. This morning I was all set to reboot my computer, thinking it was me, but here you all are! Good day!

Rllink
05-25-2018, 03:40 AM
Missed you all. :)

UkerDanno
05-25-2018, 03:53 AM
Me too, bought an SX Ursa Jr. (Fender Jazz style) B grade 30" scale bass from Rondomusic.com for $79 to which I going to have one of their 24" scale Hadean bass uke necks added and black pickguard by Eric's Guitar and have painted by Pat Wilkins bright orange including the truss rod cover. I love having UAS.

Haha...you're single handedly keeping Rondo in buisness! ;):shaka:

Osprey
05-25-2018, 03:55 AM
Like the rest of you I was very concerned. I checked back several times a day to see if there was any solution in sight. I tried on my IPhone my IPad, didn’t try my Windows Laptop, I haven’t fired that up for a month or so. I am glad to see everyone again.

MikeHollandGuitar
05-25-2018, 04:49 AM
I don't know if anybody can answer this. I run windows 10 and on the right hand side of the url box there is a little red warning shield telling me the UU page is trying to load an unauthorised script. Not really sure what it means except it is a warning!!!!
Mike

kohanmike
05-25-2018, 05:19 AM
Haha...you're single handedly keeping Rondo in business! ;)Yep, I have nine, going to be 11 soon.

DaveY
05-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Wow, it sure sounds as if you folks have UUAS (Ukulele Underground Addiction Syndrome).

twokatmew
05-25-2018, 09:12 AM
I don't know if anybody can answer this. I run windows 10 and on the right hand side of the url box there is a little red warning shield telling me the UU page is trying to load an unauthorised script. Not really sure what it means except it is a warning!!!!
Mike

<Speculation Alert>

I'm getting the same thing on Chrome on Windows 10. I suspect there's been some security issues related to the UU outage. Nothing to worry about, as browser security has stopped the scripts from running. I doubt the scripts are rogue anyway. The admins are probably working on updating security certificates, etc. :)

captain-janeway
05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
I thought it was just me. I didn't notice a thread about it so like a lot of people HU the admins. Glad it's fixed.

MikeHollandGuitar
05-25-2018, 12:58 PM
<Speculation Alert>

I'm getting the same thing on Chrome on Windows 10. I suspect there's been some security issues related to the UU outage. Nothing to worry about, as browser security has stopped the scripts from running. I doubt the scripts are rogue anyway. The admins are probably working on updating security certificates, etc. :)

Thank you for your tech knowledge Margaret!
Mike

stevejfc
05-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Glad we are back up and running. I hope we hear from the many site MODS/Owners exactly what went down. Not just curiosity, but also are own security concerns.

twokatmew
05-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Good point Steve, some feedback from the MOD Squad would be greatly appreciated :D

Yes, I agree. I'd be curious to know exactly what happened even if I weren't an old IT hand. :)

twokatmew
05-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Thank you for your tech knowledge Margaret!
Mike

Y'welcome, Mike! It's a guess. ;)

Santa
05-25-2018, 03:32 PM
I recall a similar outage in the not so distant past, as with this event "someone" had it up and running again within a couple of days.:D

slackkey007
05-25-2018, 08:57 PM
It's funny how something like this happens ... and then we all start freaking out and have UU Forums withdrawals wreaking havoc on us all!!!:biglaugh:

It just goes to show that the UU Forums are a HUGE part of OUR everyday lives!!! MAHALO NUI LOA to all of the UU Founders for this WONDERFUL uke website!!! :shaka:

Hms
05-26-2018, 08:39 AM
With the state of the internet nowadays, with virus’s and hacking, could the mods confirm that there has been no loss of any personal, financial or log in information of the site users please.
It is rather disturbing to have had a loss of service and nothing but silence from the mods!
H

Croaky Keith
05-27-2018, 02:53 AM
It's funny how something like this happens ... and then we all start freaking out and have UU Forums withdrawals wreaking havoc on us all!!!:biglaugh:

It wasn't too bad for me - I had 3 Linux forums & 2 harmonica forums to help keep my sanity. :rotfl::cheers:

Down Up Dick
05-27-2018, 06:04 AM
I couldn’t get back on for a long time and thought the UU had finally tired of me.

What a silly thought. How could they be? Anyway, I’m baaack! :old:

Steedy
05-27-2018, 06:18 AM
I thought I'd been banned for pronouncing it "you-kuh-LAY-lee"! ;)

slackkey007
05-27-2018, 07:32 AM
It wasn't too bad for me - I had 3 Linux forums & 2 harmonica forums to help keep my sanity. :rotfl::cheers:

Good for you CK, at least you have a couple of backup forums to keep you busy!:shaka:

Croaky Keith
05-27-2018, 07:32 AM
Keep it up & you still could be......... :smileybounce: