Binding for fretboard and body

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
I've decided I'd like to try to put binding on the fretboard of this tenor. I think it should match the binding I'll use for the body of the instrument??
Looking online I understand that .060 thick is okay. And I'd guess whatever thickness the fretboard is. For me that's roughly 3/16". Do any of you make your own wood binding? Any tricks? I'd like to use that same Koa for that.

Thankee!!

Attachments

• peghead repair.jpg
    peghead repair.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 71
  • back resting on sides.jpg
    back resting on sides.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180501_152023.jpg
    20180501_152023.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 67
I make all my own bindings. Including glueing the purflings to the bottom edge so there is a b/w/b not only on the top and back but also the sides.

I cut mine on the table saw with a thin kerf blade and thickness on drum sander.

The only trick I can think of mentioning is that wood will swell a bit when you bend it and glue in place. So for instance my bindings channels are cut at 0.080" but I make my bindings 0.070 or slightly thicker. Then after they are installed there is very little that needs to be scraped back flush. If I was to make them at 0.080" then after install there is a fair bit of work left to bring them flush.

I do not make my own binding. I buy it from SMD. Relatively cheap. The nice thing about buying binding that is sized for a dreadnought guitar sized body, is that I get just enough left over after binding the box to use for binding the fretboard with an inch or two to spare thus minimizing waste. Below koa bound body and fretboard from two pieces of koa binding. Maybe three inches of waste that goes in the bin.

DSCN8115.jpg

... Including glueing the purflings to the bottom edge so there is a b/w/b not only on the top and back but also the sides.

Hey Allen, I want to add purfling to the bottom edge like you describe - but I can't quite get my head around how that works. The part that confuses me is the grain orientation of the purfling, and how it can be bent along with the binding. I was considering using a veneer strip, glued "face-down" to the binding edge.. but I suspect this would prevent the purfling from bending, and just break. Or would the purfling be glued "side-to-side" with the binding (same grain direction)? In this case the purfling would need to be the same thickness as the binding, correct?

Here's a jig I made to glue binding to the fretboard. A flat piece of something, a piece of aluminum bar, some dowels, various wedges, and a couple of strips of packing tape to keep things from sticking together. It's quick and the joint is super tight, no surprises. Works for me.

Fretboard Binding Jig.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Allen, I want to add purfling to the bottom edge like you describe - but I can't quite get my head around how that works.

This was discussed several years ago when I asked the same question. The problem is that wood doesn't want to bend sideways perpendicular to the grain. Purfling tends to pucker when bent. Two possible solutions: Either bend your purfling before you glue it to the bent binding (not easy) or glue the purfling to the binding before you bend the binding (easier). Use Titebond II (water resistant), but expect some delamination in spots. Simply reglue your purfling to the bent binding and you are good to go. Helps to use aluminum foil to hold the purfling to the binding while bending. Hope that helps.

Thank you, all! There is a lot of good information in this thread. I figure I will get back to it in the future several times. I'm feeling good about this first attempt, :)

Attachments

• 20180602_062227.jpg
    20180602_062227.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180602_075335.jpg
    20180602_075335.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
That looks fantastic. Nice job, and good call on feelin that the fretboard needed binding.Very nice contrast while flowing with the rest of the instrument.
Enjoying every step of your build, fuels me to start my first build.
Cheers,
Steve

That looks fantastic. Nice job, and good call on feelin that the fretboard needed binding.Very nice contrast while flowing with the rest of the instrument.
Enjoying every step of your build, fuels me to start my first build.
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, Steve! This forum has been valuable beyond calculation as I learn what so many already know. It is refreshing to see questions posted that I actually have an answer to!

Top Bottom