Sometimes unappreicated

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
UU going down reminded me that we sometimes take things for granted. Maybe unappreciated is more appropriate.

My old Gianinni baritone is like that. I bought it used right here from "Teek" a longtime member that we don't hear much from anymore. She got involved with guitars, I believe. It was about three years ago and I did not own a baritone back then. I knew Gianinni were inexpensive as the used ones were usually made in the 70s, so I was interested in buying one. Teek had one and she sold it to me for $100 plus shipping. She said it was really beat up, battered and bruised. But the neck was straight, the instrument was solid and sound and it played well and sounded great.

I have held onto this baritone because..........I am not 100% sure why!!!. I have owned and still own some high end expensive baritones but the old Gianinni has a great sound, especially for strumming and singing. Although it is mahogany it is not muddy at all when strummed, it has a marvelous voice.

This instrument has all the characteristics of a "beater" and I still enjoy it. I enjoy playing it, I enjoy listening to it, I enjoy the fact that it makes music after almost 50 years of existence. Below are pictures of its rough condition. Kind of endearing really.

What have you got that is battered and bruised but loved just the same

20180525_201344.jpg20180525_201408.jpg20180525_201444.jpg20180521_073157.jpg20180521_073458.jpg

Last edited:
She doesn't look beat up to me.
Just well played...

Willie's 'Trigger' is battered & bruised - that one's merely used. :p

Man you people are a tough crowd. It is difficult to capture the all the dings and dents and complete coverage of scratches. She ain't got no holes like Trigger but viewed in person she aint no supermodel either

My 1960-ish Martin style 1 soprano falls into that category. I acquired it as a swap from a buddy, who referred to it as his "Beach Uke". It looked very rough when I got it, but I've cleaned it up, stabilised the cracks with cleats, and today it looks OK - from a distance. The main thing is, it sounds and plays really well. It looks OK in photos, so I won't post one. Take my word for it - this uke has had a hard life! So have I. We suit each other.

"What have you got that is battered and bruised but loved just the same"

Me......

I've got three battered and bruised ukuleles, and I love them all the same.

Love my Giannini as well. In fact I bought another one and gave it to a friend.

DownUpDave, I admire your vintage Gianinni Baritone. One day I would like to pick up a nice vintage Baritone. Several members of my group have some old Harmony’s and I love how sweet they sound. It’s funny what we get attached to. I have an old shirt I have to keep out of my wife’s eyesight. I love the feel of it despite how threadbare and faded it has become. One day it will become a dust rag but not for a while yet. Ukes can live on forever though.

DownUpDave, I admire your vintage Gianinni Baritone. One day I would like to pick up a nice vintage Baritone. Several members of my group have some old Harmony’s and I love how sweet they sound. It’s funny what we get attached to. I have an old shirt I have to keep out of my wife’s eyesight. I love the feel of it despite how threadbare and faded it has become. One day it will become a dust rag but not for a while yet. Ukes can live on forever though.

Cliff that "shirt story" made me laugh. My sons are 29 and 31, I have rubber boats and a few shirts older than them. Gotta keep that stuff out of my wife's sight as well.

The old Harmony baritones are awesome, definitely worth the purchase if you find one.

Last edited:
It looks well used.

Nowt wrong with that. It's a sign it's been played which is as it should be.

I saw a sign on the highway yesterday that fits this discussion. It was advertising used drift boats for sale. Not Used .......Experienced!

I'd sure like one of those! Harder to find in Europe, though. The other day I hit eBay Germany and there wasn't a single used baritone, let alone a vintage one.

I saw a sign on the highway yesterday that fits this discussion. It was advertising used drift boats for sale. Not Used .......Experienced!

There is a huge demand for vintage "Experienced" guitars. Martins and Gibsons that have been played in for 40 or 50 years sell for more than new models. We are not talking about rare collectable models either, just your standard top line models. It does not seem to be the same for ukuleles. But my old Gianinni has a lovely sound as I am sure it has played 1000s of songs over the decades.

Top Bottom