PDA

View Full Version : Does your partner, husband, wife, significant other understand your uke obsession?

cyber3d
05-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Maybe this should be a poll. I'm curious because my wife is on another planet when it comes to my uke obsession.

I'm sure there is a song in there somewhere. ��

DownUpDave
05-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Maybe this should be a poll. I'm curious because my wife is on another planet when it comes to my uke obsession.

I'm sure there is a strong in there somewhere. ��

Yup, mine too. She is glad I have a healthy hobby that keeps me outta the bars and brothels but has zero interest in any of it.

Croaky Keith
05-25-2018, 11:31 PM
No problem here, I only have to please myself. ;)

robinboyd
05-25-2018, 11:34 PM
I started playing because my wife asked me to buy her a uke.

DownUpDave
05-25-2018, 11:58 PM
"Mid-Life Crisis" Whispered to friends?
I am single, but the situation is not confined to male spouses. Some of the ladies who play in our group have a husband who patiently looks after the children while Mum enjoys three hours of ukulele playing.

Good point, of the different uke jams that I attend there are more women then men. I know more than a few ladies who are as uke obsessed as us guys.

SoloRule
05-26-2018, 12:09 AM
Good point, of the different uke jams that I attend there are more women then men. I know more than a few ladies who are as uke obsessed as us guys.

It’s not nice calling me out in public :o
My husband don’t care what I buy as long as I play them. His newest obsession is he buys a drone when I buy a uke.

plunker
05-26-2018, 12:34 AM
Looking at the price of some of the drones. You must have some very nice ukes.

MopMan
05-26-2018, 01:43 AM
Nobody understands it... but that's ok. They don't have to. Playing music (and ukuleles in particular) brings me great joy. Anyone who doesn't like that can stuff it.

mountain goat
05-26-2018, 01:50 AM
I was once married to someone who didn't get it.
so I divorced her and married a fellow uke player. :)

Dansimpson
05-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Understand it? Does she bollocks!!
But then I don't understand her obsession with tv soaps, EastEnders etc, and that pox of a series Game of Thrones..... so I guess we both adjust and allow accordingly..

rlbccb
05-26-2018, 02:02 AM
My wife has no interest at all in the Uke.

Ukecaster
05-26-2018, 02:13 AM
Wife: "My husband has a problem buying too many ukes"

Husband: "My wife has a problem buying too many shoes"

mikelz777
05-26-2018, 02:53 AM
I don't know that the feelings I have for the ukulele would qualify as an obsession but I do love it and get a lot of joy out of it. My wife has spurned multiple offers to teach her the uke. She rolled her eyes when I got my 2nd and as far as I know, she doesn't even know about my 3rd or at least she hasn't said anything about it if she does. That's a pretty good indicator of how much she cares.

joshsimpson79
05-26-2018, 04:02 AM
Yup, mine too. She is glad I have a healthy hobby that keeps me outta the bars and brothels but has zero interest in any of it.

I was going to say that my wife my occasionally roll her eyes, but there's a lot worse things I could do than have a uke collection.

Freeda
05-26-2018, 04:25 AM
Active enabler.

Booli
05-26-2018, 04:29 AM

Tell it brother Jon -

That's the right way to do it.

I dont talk about ukulele to anyone else unless I already know that they play or want to play, otherwise I get laughed out of the room for it.

Talking about ukulele is like the 'First Rule of Fight Club' for me now...

hendulele
05-26-2018, 04:33 AM
Several of my ukes are Christmas/birthday gifts from my wife. She plays a little (piano's her favorite), but she's getting into other percussion instruments now. First, a cajon. Next will be cymbals and bells. I just bought a set of shaker eggs and a tambourine. I foresee a rub board, eventually. We'll spend our retirement busking. If we're ever able to retire.

frolicks
05-26-2018, 04:52 AM
We'll spend our retirement busking. If we're ever able to retire.

Probably not, as long as you keep on buying too many instruments of whichever kind... ;)

But I'm very much sitting in a glass house here. On a recent ukulele meeting I bought a 1940s Style 0 Martin and a custom built taro patch - made by a German luthier who specializes in ukuleles these days - the next day, for about 2000€ (both together, though...). Now, that I actually write it down, I feel the full craziness of this and I'm actually asking myself if my wife is right, when she says I'm a shopping maniac when it comes to ukes. From this, you can already guess how she feels about my hobby.
However, she owns a horse herself, which is in a stable nearby. For what she pays for it to be taken care of on a monthly rate, I could easily buy three taro patches this year alone. So we're more or less on the same level when it comes to the money spending aspect.
Technically we could try to combine both hobbies. We actually tried this already. However, her horse wasn't too impressed by my sitting on his back, strumming a cowboy song. At least, it didn't panic...! :D

Grizzly Adams
05-26-2018, 05:44 AM
My wife is not a musician, and has no interest in being one, but she is there for every gig I do. I'm good with that!

actadh
05-26-2018, 05:51 AM
My husband has F&BGAS (fishing and boating gear acquisition syndrome). My UAS and CGAS (camping gear acquisition syndrome) are completely understood and our syndromes are supported by both of us.

Rllink
05-26-2018, 06:03 AM
Well, that's not working for me Dave. I'm in the bar playing whenever they give me the chance. I don't think that I'm particularly obsessed with ukuleles so it is not incessant enough to get on her nerves, but actually my wife doesn't pay a lot of attention to me, so I don't think that she cares one way or the other.

Gary52
05-26-2018, 10:21 AM
My first uke was one that my wife bought but didn't play. After I'd been playing for a few years, she bought one for herself and became an enthusiastic player. Now she has more ukes than I have!

acmespaceship
05-26-2018, 10:35 AM
However, her horse wasn't too impressed by my sitting on his back, strumming a cowboy song. At least, it didn't panic...! :D

You need your own horse. Now there's an expensive uke accessory!

In my household, I play uke. DH plays sax, clarinet and xaphoon. Our son the jazz major plays piano, bass, guitar and uke (also steel pan but he doesn't own any of those... yet). We exist in an uneasy truce. As long as nobody buys a new instrument, we're fine. If one of us gives in, the truce breaks and suddenly our family has a bunch of new instruments and no money. I try very, very hard not to buy new ukes because saxophones are expensive.

It did end well for me when hubby sunk a truly amazing amount of money into an officially-licensed Cubs jersey after the series win and told me go ahead, buy a uke. My baritone cost less than the jersey.

Having an understanding spouse is not my problem. My problem is I married a jazz man (and gave birth to one) while I'm a roots folkie. We compromise on blues. I keep a few "ukulele husbands" on the side for Mississippi John Hurt, Tom Paxton, Emmylou Harris and Jimmie Rodgers.

Tootler
05-26-2018, 10:50 AM
We respect each others hobbies. My wife's is knitting and crochet. She can't really complain about my uke collection either because there is a big stack of wool at one end of the conservatory and boxes of wool in various other places round the house. Her and our younger daughter have knitted my socks and very comfortable they are too.

brimmer
05-26-2018, 10:59 AM
My wife doesn't appreciate my uke playing, usually. But if I switch to tin whistle or banjo for a few weeks, she is glad to see the ukes come back out...

Doug W
05-26-2018, 11:31 AM
I have a few ukes, my wife has a few ukes, we play in the same band. It works out.

DownUpDave
05-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Well, that's not working for me Dave. I'm in the bar playing whenever they give me the chance. I don't think that I'm particularly obsessed with ukuleles so it is not incessant enough to get on her nerves, but actually my wife doesn't pay a lot of attention to me, so I don't think that she cares one way or the other.

Yea our regular uke jam is in a pub so I guess that wasn't 100% accurate. At least I now play music instead of drink my face off :cheers:

sukie
05-26-2018, 11:59 AM
so I divorced her and married a fellow uke player. :)plus 1

I’m very happy for you, too.
Life has changed so much for you.

ksiegel
05-26-2018, 05:11 PM
My wife wouldn't let me sell one of my ukes, unless I get one to replace it. Specifically, I would have to get a solid zebrawood uke, before I can replace the zebrawood laminate I have (and don't play often at all).

Since that discussion, I think I've acquired another 4 or 5 instruments, but I'm still prohibited from getting rid of that specific uke.

And the only criticism I got after buying a new PA system was that I didn't have her check the specs first, as she has previously worked in the A/V design industry - but when she saw it was in the JBL Professional Series, she allowed that I had made a good choice.

So yes, she is comfortable with my having 23 ukuleles. And 4 spinning wheels, 20+ drop spindles, and around 50 pounds of roving, waiting for me to spin it; And did I mention the Looms? 2 in storage, 2 waiting to be used. (Plus the new portable loom I just got for her).

She also just taught me to knit, as physical therapy. Soon, I can start using some of that yarn I've made, over the past 5 years... unless she beats me to it.

-Kurt

Mr. Sweetie
05-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Mrs. Sweetie kinda-sorta gets it. She doesn't fully understand the UAS part of it but she is supportive of the hobby. Supportive enough that she is actually attending Camp Ookoolaylay with me in a couple weeks. She doesn't play uke but she is very musical, so there is hope yet. In the meantime, she is willing to camp with me at a multi day ukulele event... that is good enough for now. :)

ripock
05-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Both my wife and I are highly educated, and far from stupid. Therefore, although she has no active interest in the ukulele, she understands that the mathematics that underlie music is the same sense of proportion that rules the world and balances the seasons...the whole Platonic music of the spheres stuff. So she appreciates that I am doing something important and she has the capacity to listen to and understand the theory and the intervals that I am working with. She shows enough interest to sustain the conversation, but I doubt she internalizes the information. I have no complaints. Her civility is all a person can expect.

maki66
05-27-2018, 02:03 AM
I'm lucky. My wife plays stringed instruments and has been telling me for years that I should play strings too.
So I did, starting with ukuleles.

Jerryc41
05-27-2018, 07:35 AM
If you're playing solo, find a partner who also enjoys the ukulele. Attending ukulele events will help you find a suitable partner. ;)

dinghy
05-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Ahoy

wife thinks i am nuts, but glad no longer play penny whistle

peanuts56
05-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Definitely. I was a trumpet major and also play djembe and ashiko. She doesn't like me to play those when she's home, especially the djembe and ashiko! I can play my ukulele any time!

twokatmew
05-27-2018, 02:44 PM
No problem here, I only have to please myself. ;)

Same here. No one to tell me I have too many instruments. And the kitties like to sit on the cases, so the more the merrier? :D

Tonya
05-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Mr. Ukalady has bought me every "nice" ukulele I've ever had. He doesn't play ukulele at all but seems to truly love to watch/listen as I smile, sing and strum my way through songs. Even when I do it poorly.

I was monogamous for almost 10 years with my first ukulele (a custom LoPrinzi hubby gave me for my birthday) and then he convinced me heartily I needed to find a tenor (or two now)--and pushed me towards *really* nice ones when I didn't think my playing justified the expense and investment.

I've spent the past 22 months playing with an ensemble that called for me being out of town at least three days a month and practicing every night for 30 to 45 minutes--and on top of that an upcoming 10-day trip to Hawai'i during which he is *not* going. And he's happy for me (maybe because I've *finally* learned to sing to pitch in the process!).

Nope, you can't have him. He's been mine for 38 years now and I'm hoping for 38 more. I'm also hoping some day he takes up the ukulele so we can do this *together...*

RafterGirl
05-27-2018, 03:30 PM
My 80 year old mom lives with me. She is a watercolor artist, so she understands the need for different ukuleles, just as she needs a variety of brushes. Lately, we’ve been sitting outside in the evening singing oldies together. Lovely to share music with her.

DownUpDave
05-27-2018, 11:49 PM
My 80 year old mom lives with me. She is a watercolor artist, so she understands the need for different ukuleles, just as she needs a variety of brushes. Lately, we’ve been sitting outside in the evening singing oldies together. Lovely to share music with her.

Thanks for sharing that, it was very heart warming. My parents passed on before I took up ukulele but I know my mom would have loved it if I played for her.

Jerryc41
05-28-2018, 12:16 AM
My wife doesn't appreciate my uke playing, usually. But if I switch to tin whistle or banjo for a few weeks, she is glad to see the ukes come back out...

Funny! I have a tin whistle and a banjo, but my ukes get all my attention.

sunshiNee
05-28-2018, 01:25 AM
My wife and I went on a Hawaiian cruise in 2014. She wanted to take the free onboard lessons and we only went a couple of times because it conflicted with the line dancing class. We went again in Dec 2017... this time we stuck with the class, run by Brian and Rowena Vasquez. That is when I was bitten by the Uke bug. When we were on land in Honolulu we went to PuaPua Ukulele and bought a random Uke (wish i had known more about ukes before buying it).

Although my wife was the one that really wanted to do the Uke class... she never really got the "bug" and kind of stopped playing. Which is rather weird because she's very talented musically because she grew up playing piano and the electone. Perhaps not challenging enough for her :P....... Myself, I'm still strumming away and I find it very challenging as I never really grew up playing music. I thought I've gotten pretty good!! until I bought Fred Sokolow's Ragtime solo arrangements last week, and trying to learn "The Entertainer" and playing with the track is very challenging. But it's funny! the human brain is an amazing thing. If you're stubborn like me and keep practicing eventually you can play it spot on.!

Jerryc41
05-28-2018, 01:41 AM
My wife and I went on a Hawaiian cruise in 2014. She wanted to take the free onboard lessons and we only went a couple of times because it conflicted with the line dancing class. We went again in Dec 2017... this time we stuck with the class, run by Brian and Rowena Vasquez. That is when I was bitten by the Uke bug. When we were on land in Honolulu we went to PuaPua Ukulele and bought a random Uke (wish i had known more about ukes before buying it).

Although my wife was the one that really wanted to do the Uke class... she never really got the "bug" and kind of stopped playing. Which is rather weird because she's very talented musically because she grew up playing piano and the electone. Perhaps not challenging enough for her :P....... Myself, I'm still strumming away and I find it very challenging as I never really grew up playing music. I thought I've gotten pretty good!! until I bought Fred Sokolow's Ragtime solo arrangements last week, and trying to learn "The Entertainer" and playing with the track is very challenging. But it's funny! the human brain is an amazing thing. If you're stubborn like me and keep practicing eventually you can play it spot on.!

When we went to HI in 2002, I was impressed by all the ukuleles - everywhere. I bought a cheap one in an ABC store, but I didn't do much with it till I found a local group twelve years later.

Yes, it is amazing how the brain can learn. In the beginning, I was ready to give up on the uke because I couldn't get my fingers to make a G chord. Now it's second nature.

I saw Fred and his wife perform a few days ago. They're a couple of great players, and I like his books.

Osprey
05-28-2018, 03:21 AM
My wife was a Music major in college. She can play the piano and has sung in classical choirs. My musical experience was as a mediocre trumpet player in the high school band and a casual plunker on my roommates guitar in college. After I retired I got intested in ukuleles. I talked my wife into going to a free beginners class at a local music store. We stayed for the general ukulele jam afterwards. That was the last time my wife played a ukulele. She does come on Saturdays mornings occasionally and sings along with the ukulele group, she has traveled with me to a couple of ukulele concerts and to one festival. She is happy to let me play and do my thing. She does offer critique my singing (lot’s of room to find fault there). She is also not sure why I would need more than one or two ukuleles. She only has one piano. But in general she is happy I am finding a creative outlet.

SoloRule
05-29-2018, 01:15 AM
My wife She only has one piano. But in general she is happy I am finding a creative outlet.

Just one piano? How did she play with just one?
That’s not fair. You need to buy her a second and third piano ;)

Osprey
05-29-2018, 03:46 AM
Hmmm, PAS, that could be a thing.

Captain America
05-29-2018, 06:29 AM
My wife loves it.

My son's not quite so understanding. . .

Chopped Liver
05-29-2018, 06:43 AM
my wife wouldn't let me sell one of my ukes, unless i get one to replace it. Specifically, i would have to get a solid zebrawood uke, before i can replace the zebrawood laminate i have (and don't play often at all).

Since that discussion, i think i've acquired another 4 or 5 instruments, but i'm still prohibited from getting rid of that specific uke.

And the only criticism i got after buying a new pa system was that i didn't have her check the specs first, as she has previously worked in the a/v design industry - but when she saw it was in the jbl professional series, she allowed that i had made a good choice.

So yes, she is comfortable with my having 23 ukuleles. And 4 spinning wheels, 20+ drop spindles, and around 50 pounds of roving, waiting for me to spin it; and did i mention the looms? 2 in storage, 2 waiting to be used. (plus the new portable loom i just got for her).

She also just taught me to knit, as physical therapy. Soon, i can start using some of that yarn i've made, over the past 5 years... Unless she beats me to it.

-kurt

LOVE this!

Ukecaster
05-29-2018, 07:42 AM
Just one piano? How did she play with just one?
That’s not fair. You need to buy her a second and third piano ;)

Hey, c'mon, you buy all those pianos, then you gotta buy cases for them all, so you can schlep em around! :D

Ukecaster
05-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Carry them around the airport when you are flying somewhere and everyone will know that you are a piano player. You can get to the gate early and play for everyone else's enjoyment. :) Kidding aside, my friend has a keyboard that he has to have with him everywhere he goes.

Yeah, and nobody will say "Oh, what a cute little toy guitar you have there!" :rolleyes:

Rllink
05-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Yeah, and nobody will say "Oh, what a cute little toy guitar you have there!" :rolleyes:You caught me. I deleted that because I thought that it was too snarky.

PereBourik
05-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks for sharing that, it was very heart warming. My parents passed on before I took up ukulele but I know my mom would have loved it if I played for her.

When my mother was in her final illness I offered to play Pearly Shells for her as she drifted into a nap. By the time I had checked the tuning of 3 strings she said, "That's enough," and fell asleep. That's the closest I got to playing for her. But it is a sweet memory.

Strumdaddy
05-30-2018, 01:40 PM

Me too! Still trawling the Uke festivals looking for the right strumming Goddess...

Pueo
05-30-2018, 04:21 PM
My wife does not play, but she gets it. She is Hawaiian, that probably helps!
So I have 10 ukuleles, two guitars, a bass, and her late grandpa's steel guitar.
The only criticism I get is when learning a song, she gets "burned out" on the repetition...

sculptor
05-31-2018, 07:19 AM

I'm sure there is a song in there somewhere. ��

I'm pretty sure that unless I was to take up making things for her to wear like jewelry she'd be dead set against me doing it. :wallbash:

-- Gary

RichM
05-31-2018, 07:22 AM
My gf is also a musician, so while she doesn't have the collecting bug, she understand the joy of playing a great instrument. I always thought that musical instruments are a great obsession; they bring joy into your life, and they can usually be turned back into cash if times get hard. Try doing that with lift tickets or greens fees!

Ziret
05-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Me too! Still trawling the Uke festivals looking for the right strumming Goddess...
I should be going to uke festivals!

quiltingshirley
05-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Well, we both took that free Uke lessons offer on a cruise. We now both have a collection of ukes. He’s also,added more than 1 bass and I more than 1 guitar. We spend time playing in jams, song circles, etc. we don’t play very well but we play bad together. We’ve been married 53 years and it’s the 1st hobby we’ve shared.

Del1015
05-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Once in a while I get “the look” from the wifey when I try bring my uke with me when we go out on errands. Hey, it’s better then staring at my phone aimlessly waiting in line 🤷🏻*♂️

Nickie
05-31-2018, 04:52 PM
Not only does my wife also play the ukulele, she plays the UBass in our quartet, the Ladies Of Uke.
We met at an ukulele jam session.
I feel pretty lucky.

SailingUke
05-31-2018, 07:12 PM
We travel together with ukes looking for groups and festivals.

calde
06-01-2018, 12:48 AM
No,

She don't get why I need 10 tenor ukulele,s. I mean whats wrong with her.
Apart from that she is perfect.

greenie44
06-04-2018, 03:34 AM
My soon-to-be-ex-wife could not have been less interested in my ukes or my music. I posted probably 200 videos for the Seasons, and as far as I know, she watched one.

I have recently met quite a wonderful woman who not only listens to my playing, and comments intelligently on it, but even told me "even if I did not like the music, I would like it because I know it means so much to you". Night and day. Lucky guy, me.

Ukulammy
06-04-2018, 04:01 AM
Being as my hubby has his own guitar obsession he perfectly understands my love affair with the ukulele. He’s delighted I’ve kept with it, and he plays it sometimes.

Axemaniac88
06-04-2018, 04:42 AM
My wife plays piano (and has done since she was no age), used to play violin and is currently learning clarinet, so she understands my obsession! Every time we go into town, we walk past the music shop with a £5,000 grand piano that she says has her name on it, so we both understand the obsessions!

johnnysmash
06-04-2018, 05:01 AM
Ha ha ha. My wife and I are in a different universe when it comes to spending money. She loves to shop for shoes and will not pass up a sale of any type of clothes or shoes. However, when it comes to musical instruments she is like an ice cube ever time I even talk about buying another one. Her favorite saying, "Play the ones you have already." All the while we wade daily through her shoe store on our front screened pourch each time we go in and out. In Thailand shoes do not go in past the front door unless you want to fight with the lady of the house. Otherwise she is the perfect wife.

Ukecaster
06-04-2018, 07:27 AM
....However, when it comes to musical instruments she is like an ice cube ever time I even talk about buying another one. Her favorite saying, "Play the ones you have already."

Your favorite saying can become: "wear the ones you already have" :D

LimousinLil
06-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Not only does my husband think it's a complete waste of time for me to attempt to play the uke ... he insists on calling it a guitar!!!!

Ukecaster
06-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Not only does my husband think it's a complete waste of time for me to attempt to play the uke ... he insists on calling it a guitar!!!!

My wife sees an incoming box and says “oh, another mandolin”?

mmfitzsimons
06-05-2018, 12:47 PM
I met mine at the local uke club.

You guys really need to plan better. ;)

jddennis
06-06-2018, 05:44 AM
So my wife and I met through online dating on okCupid. My username was "ukulele_mook," and hers was "yarnmania." She has a closet of yarn to back up that username. And I have the 5 ukes to back mine up.

Since we both came into our relationship with such transparency, there hasn't been much of an issue. She's even acquired two ukuleles of her own, and just gave me an 8-string Kala for my birthday.

She doesn't understand why I need to buy a composite polycarbonite tenor to keep at the office, though. We're working on that.

RichM
06-06-2018, 05:51 AM
So my wife and I met through online dating on okCupid. My username was "ukulele_mook," and hers was "yarnmania." She has a closet of yarn to back up that username. And I have the 5 ukes to back mine up.

Since we both came into our relationship with such transparency, there hasn't been much of an issue. She's even acquired two ukuleles of her own, and just gave me an 8-string Kala for my birthday.

She doesn't understand why I need to buy a composite polycarbonite tenor to keep at the office, though. We're working on that.

Seems you could just look her in the eye and say "Yarn" and that would end the conversation. :)

jddennis
06-06-2018, 06:54 AM
Seems you could just look her in the eye and say "Yarn" and that would end the conversation. :)

You'd think so, but a single skein of yarn is far cheaper than a decent ukulele. ;)

WestyShane
06-06-2018, 08:06 AM
You'd think so, but a single skein of yarn is far cheaper than a decent ukulele. ;)

This is a bit off topic but for years now (YEARS) I've wondered how a yarn shop stays in business at Big Sky ski resort. The rent has to be sky high and there's almost no one there during the summer. Who takes a ski trip to buy yarn anyway? So, you're wife apparently isn't the only one out there.

spongeuke
06-06-2018, 06:58 PM
My wife gave me my first ukulele, She's a Keeper

Jerryc41
06-09-2018, 12:39 AM

Have you seen the KLOS carbon fiber tenor? I'm expecting one to be delivered in August.

https://klosguitars.com/pages/ukulele

Tenebrius
06-09-2018, 06:06 AM
I have to say my wife is extremely supportive and understanding. Of course, that puts the onus on me to try to restrain myself. I haven’t been very successful as you can see below. She has one of her own which she doesn’t get to play much and she likes going to ukefests and even likes listening to me 😱. We've even bought an Ohana sopranissimo for our 20 month-old granddaughter (she was 9 months when we bought it). Looking forward to teaching her.

Jerryc41
06-09-2018, 11:06 AM
...she likes going to ukefests...

Ukefests are the best!