Aurora strings

Michael70

Reaction score
Okay, I had the super nylgut from the factory and they sounded pretty good and only took about 4 days to settle in. I read post and articles and looked at reviews of other strings and then tried a set of Aquila Red low G. The G snapped while tuning and that was after doing the install process they suggest. I was able to get the 3-2-1 string installed and they did sound good. I had to install a Luthier low G non-wound and it worked but that string always felt rigid and tight beyond a good feel.

So fast forward to studying once again reviews form people with the many variations and brands for a uke. I came across a Aquila made string rebranded with the name Aurora. So I think why not......no real reviews to speak of that I did not think were staged like happens a lot by a company. What I liked was the fact that you could order from a various number of bright colors that make seeing the strings fairly easy for those who still look down from time to time while playing to observe. My daughter wanted colored strings for her uke and I figured I will give them a try even though they are roughly twice the price of most uke strings.

Installed and tuned then allowing for tuning due to stretch and hoping to see how they settle but when in tune (G-C-E-A) std. tuning for concert I have to say I love the tone of these. Crisp but yet mellow enough to not shock you when plucked. Not much if any twang/buzz to the strings as well that I was getting a lot form the Red's.

I installed the nitro tangerine on mine and pink on my daughters. Hopeful these will make for a good overall string for most play. They feel slick to the finger sliding up and down and installed easily given I tie mine and my daughters uke uses a end knot then slid under the bridge.

Anyone else used these with any long term feedback or your observations on them would be nice.

I have used the fun colored Aurora strings on my Pinecone ukes for about eight years. Found them to be excellent in tone, long lasting and reliable. The colors really add to the bright fun of an instrument. Recommend them without reservation.
Brian Griffin.
Griffin Ukuleles

Are you sure these are made by Aquila and rebranded?

Well, lets say this was in the description from a retailer which is quoted here which made me assume they were:

"Aurora Ukulele Concert Blue Silkgut, Full Set designed for concert ukelele. Made of silkgut. Developed by Aquila."

Maybe the developed means a collaboration and then made by Aurora. But to some degree Aquila had input somehow to either making or in the design effort.

I have used the fun colored Aurora strings on my Pinecone ukes for about eight years. Found them to be excellent in tone, long lasting and reliable. The colors really add to the bright fun of an instrument. Recommend them without reservation.
Brian Griffin.
Griffin Ukuleles

This is great to hear Brian. I really do like the feel and the sound of these. I bought direct from Aurora and they doubled my order at not extra cost I assume for being a first time buyer. I was quite surprised and happy at the same moment.

Top Bottom