Grover Tuning Pegs

Monkeyswithladders

Reaction score
I'm working on building my first ukulele right now (it's so much fun) and need some help! (please :D)

I want to go with geared tuners, which I've never had on a uke before, and am shopping around. It seems that the grover ones
Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.jpg
are way cheaper than anything else I've come across. So here are my two questions for the community:

1) Are these grover tuners good quality, although being so much less expensive? Does anyone have experience with them they can share?

2) And as far as size is concerned... I know I want enough downward pressure on the nut, so I don't want the pegs to be too high. It seems to me that the three important measurements are the height of the pegs, the diameter of the hole it fits into, and the thickness of the headstock. Is this true? Or does the thickness not really matter? Like, my headstock is 1/2" right now. Does that mean no matter which height I buy, it will fit and the height minus 1/2" will be left sticking up?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm taking a lot of pictures so I can share how the project went when I'm done. It's going to be a cigar-box uke, and I woodburned a tiki smoking a cigar into the headstock. So far I'm liking how it's turning out :D

Grovers carries good tuners. Most of the geared ones have a lifetime warranty, honored by Grover directly. We have been using the Grover mini rotomatics for over five years in both our production line and customs and never had an issue with quality.

I can't tell from the picture, but if those are mini guitar tuners, you should have no problems. Full sized guitar tuners will most likely be too long on the post, unless you have a very steep break angle and/or very thick head stock. Best thing to do is run the dimensions of the tuners against your proposed neck and head stock to make sure you have the clearance.

You are correct about the post height. Post height - head stock thickness = amount of post sticking out the top. With the proper tuners, the strings should be going at a downward angle to the posts, from the nut. If they're sticking over the nut, you need to either get new tuners, use a different neck, or shim the back of the tuners to get the proper approach.

Thanks for your help-- that was a really informative post. I'm going to order a set of the grovers when I get home today, but just have one more question before I go ahead and order.

The details say:
These 2-left/2-right sets have 14:1 gear ratio, stamped baseplates and plastic knobs. Press-fit bushings and screws are included. 11/32"-diameter pegholes required.

For pegheads up to 1/2" (12.7mm) thick.

What does it mean "for pegheads up to 1/2" thick? Does that mean my headstock can't be thicker than 1/2"? Or does it mean something else I haven't thought of? My headstock is exactly 1/2" thick... will these work for me?

btw, here's the link if you want to look at what I'm looking at:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.html

Top Bottom