Kanile'a field trippin'

etudes

Reaction score
Good morning UU. Later today I'm driving an hour to a shop in Salem (OR) to try a couple of Kanile'a ukes (K-1 models both concert and tenor) brought in somewhat on my request. They routinely stock the tenors but probably wouldn't have ordered the concert if I hadn't requested. It will be a rare chance to try before you buy- a concept that hasn't existed for me since playing uke.

Sounds like a fun day. Beautiful drive. You get hands on playing a couple ukuleles I’ve been wanting to experience. Have a good day and let us know your impression of the two ukuleles.

Howdy fellow Portlander! Are you going to Uptown Music? I have called them several times and we could never get our timing right, but they have always been super nice and helpful over the phone! My friend says Paddington’s Pizza in Salem is the best, so might be a good place for lunch. If you go home with a uke, be sure to share a picture!

Howdy fellow Portlander! Are you going to Uptown Music? I have called them several times and we could never get our timing right, but they have always been super nice and helpful over the phone! My friend says Paddington’s Pizza in Salem is the best, so might be a good place for lunch. If you go home with a uke, be sure to share a picture!

Yes heading to Uptown! I'll let you all know how it goes and thanks for the lunch ideas :)

Wild Pear on State St, downtown Salem, is another great place to eat (leave room for one of their fabulous desserts). Paul at Uptown Music is a really nice guy. If you don't buy the concert K-1, let us know. I'm less than an hour south of Salem and would love the chance to play and hear one in person. Thanks!
Jan

Hope your trip to Salem was successful. There are worse ways to spend a Saturday during Memorial Day weekend. Me? I'm spreading bark dust... :)

It was a good trip for continuing education in ukes. Thumbs up to Uptown music, those guys are great and as far as I know the only shop in NW Oregon that stocks Kanile'a. They are having a uke celebration event on June 2nd I think it is, unfortunately I'm out of town or would have tried to attend. Kanile'a's did not disappoint. Stunning figured Koa and gloss finish, and they sound extraordinary. The concert especially is just loud and vibrant. There might be a Kanile'a concert in my future but I'm going to take my time this time. Jan if you head over there you'll have 3 Kanile'a's to try as they also have a used Baritone!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up about the Kanile'a's. Glad to hear your trip to Salem was worthwhile. In my books, any day is a good day if it includes spending time in a musical instrument store. :)
Jan

Just a quick jump in; I found a used k1T premium on Reverb last year and snapped it up and will never regret it. It is a joy to play and has amazing tone. Visited the factory this spring and met Joe and the gang and was moved by their warmth and passion for music and building a quality instrument.

Just a quick jump in; I found a used k1T premium on Reverb last year and snapped it up and will never regret it. It is a joy to play and has amazing tone. Visited the factory this spring and met Joe and the gang and was moved by their warmth and passion for music and building a quality instrument.

Sounds like you found a real gem! Congrats. I think the chance of my next uke being a Kanile'a is high.

Top Bottom