Farida?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend look at moderately priced concerts.

Has anyone been able to check out the Farida solid hog concert at Elderly?
The light build, satin finish, geared planetary tuners, and Elderly's thumbs up (granted this appears to be their in-house brand) make this one appealing...

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/145274/s/farida-kac-3-nc-concert-ukulele/

I'd love to hear how it feels and sounds compared to competitors...

I'll chime in, but not that I have any experience with these instruments - I too was hoping to hear from someone that does have experience with them. They seem like a nice buy. My guess would be that they are made by one of the big overseas builders to Elderly's specs. Quite possibly could be made in the Ohana factory. Or, perhaps the same factory that makes the Ibanez ukuleles (which who knows what factory that is). Not that any of this matters, as long as it is a fine instrument. If I lived closer to Elderly I would love to stop in and play them.

I also do wonder who makes those nickel geared planetary tuners and if they might be available as a cheaper generic version of the UPT's...

I don't know anything about the ukulele, but wanted to point out that Elderly has a good return policy, so if anyone decided to give the ukulele a try, you can return it for any reason, (within their return period, of course.) You're out the shipping costs, but it's one way to try out a ukulele you're not sure about without being stuck with the ukulele if it really doesn't work for you.

I did return one to them, and you don't even need to give them a reason. Just contact them and tell them that you're sending it back, (if it's in the required time frame), and they'll very politely refund your money.

I have found Elderly to be very helpful, so you might also consider contacting them, asking them whatever questions you have about the ukulele, and see if they can provide some assistance.

Just my experience, anyway.

I live a few miles from Elderly. I could check it out for you. Elderly's return policy is great, and the staff is very knowledgeable.

Tuners are friction tuners IMHO......even though the write up say geared. Write up does say Planetary greased. You can see the set screw on end of tune. Now, Uke May be fine and if I were buying the friction tuners would be off and Gotoh planetary tuners would be on asap if I liked the Uke. Somebody needs to try one and report back. Wood looks great. My .02 cents worth.

“Does NOT say Planetary geared”. Sorry... fat fingers on ipad

“Does NOT say Planetary geared”. Sorry... fat fingers on ipad

Right, it doesn't say planetary, but it does say "geared" and they LOOK like fat friction tuners so I assumed...
The screw on the end means friction tuners then?

It would be nice to know if there are other brands of geared (planetary) tuners out there. The screw doesn't mean much, without a washer, as Gotoh's have similar screws to hold the knob on. What looks odd to me for a geared tuner is that the knob seems to be recessed into the flange, which is more of a function of friction tuners, which needs that interface.

John

I live a few miles from Elderly. I could check it out for you. Elderly's return policy is great, and the staff is very knowledgeable.

That would be greatly appreciated, Margaret - thank you!!!

Please do!
There's a small crowd waiting... ;^)

That would be greatly appreciated, Margaret - thank you!!!

OK, I'll stop down this week and check it out. I've been curious about these Farida ukes, but when I'm at Elderly, I'm usually on a mission, or I don't see a Farida on the wall. Will post back once I give it a play. :)

OK, I'll stop down this week and check it out. I've been curious about these Farida ukes, but when I'm at Elderly, I'm usually on a mission, or I don't see a Farida on the wall. Will post back once I give it a play. :)

Hopeful for a sound sample! Or mebbe Elderly will do it if they know we're waiting.
And please do ask about the "geared" tuners... :)

Hopeful for a sound sample! Or mebbe Elderly will do it if they know we're waiting.
And please do ask about the "geared" tuners... :)

You could contact Elderly. I think they'd be more likely to do one for someone who might actually buy the uke. :) I'd have to buy the uke to do a sound sample, and my recording skills are in their infancy, so I don't know how representative it would be. :(

Last edited:
Those tuners are very interesting. I like the rosette too, they make it look like contrasting woods. Maybe they are....
I wonder if that model comes with a pickup?

I found this awesome clip on the Tube, it looks like the Farida may have been designed for use in the Chinese Opera? I'm not quite sure :D

There's Chinese Opera and Chinese Opera. Campbell, since you have a smile face, I'll assume you have heard real Chinese Opera. As my Father-In-Law (who is Chinese) asked me after I commented about seeing the Beijing National Opera when they performed in phoenix, "Sounded like cats fighting?"

Yep!

I found this awesome clip on the Tube, it looks like the Farida may have been designed for use in the Chinese Opera? I'm not quite sure :D

If it could make me sing like that, and have the nerve to do it, I'd buy it, even if the uke was made of cardboard and strung with clothesline. She's my hero.

Been wondering about this brand myself. That video is the first I've seen with one.
Wish I could hear it though :biglaugh:

Top Bottom