NUD: Fred Shields Pocket Uke (Pictures and Video)

Lapyang

Reaction score
Mr. Fred Shields made me this fantastic pocket uke a month ago. Don't be fooled by its tiny size and think of it as a novelty. This is a legitimate musical instrument.

Total length 18.5 in
Scale length: 11 in
Top: Sycamore
Body and sides: Macadamia
Neck: Mahogany
Binding: Rosewood
Radiused fingerboard: Jarrah
Bridge: Jarrah
Friction tuners

It has excellent playability and good volume for a tiny Uke like this. Intonation is spot on. It came with fluorocarbon strings but I changed them to Aquila Sugar Soprano high G. Tuned it up a half step and the uke sang brightly.

Mr. Fred Shields is based out of San Diego, he has been making Ukuleles for a long time. Excellent craftsmanship and a true gentleman. This is my second Fred Shields ukulele and it exceeds my all my expectations.
I owe my thanks to Brenda (SoloRule) for introducing me (and many other UU members) to Mr. Shields.

IMG_1191.jpgIMG_1192.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1194.jpgIMG_1195.jpg

The following is "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" arranged by James Hill, tuned up a half step, on Aquila Sugar Strings.

Congratulations, it is a little beauty and truly sings like one. Amazing voice for such a little fellow. The sycamore has that lovely speckled grain that I loved about the all sycamore Mya moe tenor I owned

Hey Doctor....so glad you are happy with the pocket uke. They are so cute. I agree that the tiny little thing has a loud voice, sounds very good with strumming.
I didn't know you have the front sound hole. Mine was Fred Shields personal uke. He brought it out just to show me , didn't expect me to buy it. My pocket uke is saying hello to yours.
You have good taste on wood combo.
I will be seeing Fred in a few weeks. Let's me know if you want me to bring anything home . You can make a road trip up here and get to meet everyone - I mean everyone's ukes. ;)
September may be a good time, Kathryn is thinking of coming. We can have a Fred Shields coming out party . Downupdave give Fred a call now, he can have one built by June 30.

BTW You take great photos, good strings choice too. I need to get those. Never thought of tuning it up. Good idea.

IMG_8029.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few of Fred's ukuleles. Fred is truly a great person. Nice to a fault. His ukes are pretty no frills, but his craftsmanship is first rate. He also has a ton of stories. Congratulations!

John

I have a few of Fred's ukuleles. Fred is truly a great person. Nice to a fault. His ukes are pretty no frills, but his craftsmanship is first rate. He also has a ton of stories. Congratulations!

John

John
His garage is a ton of stories ha ha

Congratulations, it is a little beauty and truly sings like one. Amazing voice for such a little fellow. The sycamore has that lovely speckled grain that I loved about the all sycamore Mya moe tenor I owned

Thanks Dave. When are you goons call Fred?

John

Thanks John. You are right, Fred does have a ton of stories to tell.

What a cool little Uke! Too bad Fred Shields doesn’t include one of those with every big Uke he builds, haha! He’s working on a longneck concert for me and it’s almost done. Can’t wait to have it.

What a cool little Uke! Too bad Fred Shields doesn’t include one of those with every big Uke he builds, haha! He’s working on a longneck concert for me and it’s almost done. Can’t wait to have it.

I am going to ask Fred for referral fee when I see him:D

Be sure to show it off on UU.

Top Bottom