PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Fred Shields Pocket Uke (Pictures and Video)

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Mr. Fred Shields made me this fantastic pocket uke a month ago. Don't be fooled by its tiny size and think of it as a novelty. This is a legitimate musical instrument.

Total length 18.5 in
Scale length: 11 in
Top: Sycamore
Body and sides: Macadamia
Neck: Mahogany
Binding: Rosewood
Radiused fingerboard: Jarrah
Bridge: Jarrah
Friction tuners

It has excellent playability and good volume for a tiny Uke like this. Intonation is spot on. It came with fluorocarbon strings but I changed them to Aquila Sugar Soprano high G. Tuned it up a half step and the uke sang brightly.

Mr. Fred Shields is based out of San Diego, he has been making Ukuleles for a long time. Excellent craftsmanship and a true gentleman. This is my second Fred Shields ukulele and it exceeds my all my expectations.
I owe my thanks to Brenda (SoloRule) for introducing me (and many other UU members) to Mr. Shields.

The following is "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" arranged by James Hill, tuned up a half step, on Aquila Sugar Strings.

https://youtu.be/jfWIbaHIgtE

DownUpDave
05-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Congratulations, it is a little beauty and truly sings like one. Amazing voice for such a little fellow. The sycamore has that lovely speckled grain that I loved about the all sycamore Mya moe tenor I owned

SoloRule
05-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Hey Doctor....so glad you are happy with the pocket uke. They are so cute. I agree that the tiny little thing has a loud voice, sounds very good with strumming.
I didn't know you have the front sound hole. Mine was Fred Shields personal uke. He brought it out just to show me , didn't expect me to buy it. My pocket uke is saying hello to yours.
You have good taste on wood combo.
I will be seeing Fred in a few weeks. Let's me know if you want me to bring anything home . You can make a road trip up here and get to meet everyone - I mean everyone's ukes. ;)
September may be a good time, Kathryn is thinking of coming. We can have a Fred Shields coming out party . Downupdave give Fred a call now, he can have one built by June 30.

BTW You take great photos, good strings choice too. I need to get those. Never thought of tuning it up. Good idea.

kvehe
05-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Very nice! It’s adorable and sounds just as cute. Love it!

70sSanO
05-28-2018, 12:26 PM
I have a few of Fred's ukuleles. Fred is truly a great person. Nice to a fault. His ukes are pretty no frills, but his craftsmanship is first rate. He also has a ton of stories. Congratulations!

John

SoloRule
05-28-2018, 12:38 PM
I have a few of Fred's ukuleles. Fred is truly a great person. Nice to a fault. His ukes are pretty no frills, but his craftsmanship is first rate. He also has a ton of stories. Congratulations!

John

John
His garage is a ton of stories ha ha

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Congratulations, it is a little beauty and truly sings like one. Amazing voice for such a little fellow. The sycamore has that lovely speckled grain that I loved about the all sycamore Mya moe tenor I owned

Thanks Dave. When are you goons call Fred?

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 12:56 PM
You can make a road trip up here and get to meet everyone - I mean everyone's ukes. ;)
September may be a good time, Kathryn is thinking of coming. We can have a Fred Shields coming out party.

Yeah, I would love to meet all the Ukes...um, people... as soon as I can get away for a few days.

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Very nice! It’s adorable and sounds just as cute. Love it!

I hope you will be getting yours soon, Kathryn.

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 12:59 PM

John

Thanks John. You are right, Fred does have a ton of stories to tell.

kvehe
05-28-2018, 01:28 PM
I hope you will be getting yours soon, Kathryn.

You'll be the first to hear! ...and I'd love to meet your Oceana. ...uh, make that "you". 😂😂😂

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Congratulations Joseph, what a little beauty! :D

Thanks Campbell, it is surely is a tiny dynamite.

SA Condor
05-28-2018, 04:34 PM
What a cool little Uke! Too bad Fred Shields doesn’t include one of those with every big Uke he builds, haha! He’s working on a longneck concert for me and it’s almost done. Can’t wait to have it.

SoloRule
05-28-2018, 05:27 PM
What a cool little Uke! Too bad Fred Shields doesnít include one of those with every big Uke he builds, haha! Heís working on a longneck concert for me and itís almost done. Canít wait to have it.

I am going to ask Fred for referral fee when I see him:D

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 05:44 PM
What a cool little Uke! Too bad Fred Shields doesn’t include one of those with every big Uke he builds, haha! He’s working on a longneck concert for me and it’s almost done. Can’t wait to have it.

Be sure to show it off on UU.

Jerryc41
05-29-2018, 02:44 AM
Very nice. Good looks and good sound.

https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Shields-Ukuleles-180995551945357/

Jerryc41
05-29-2018, 02:51 AM
Be sure to show it off on UU.

Referring to your signature, I like the way Mya-Moe numbers it's ukes and lets you see the details online. I have #1112.

Lapyang
05-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Referring to your signature, I like the way Mya-Moe numbers it's ukes and lets you see the details online. I have #1112.

Jerry, you have got a very nice Resonator.