PDA

View Full Version : What is the most desirable uke on re-sale market

SoloRule
05-28-2018, 01:32 PM
I have seen ukes in the $1,000 plus price range sold within the hours from posting . Some simply took a much longer time and a ton of patience .

I am just curious base on what you have seen on UU marketplace, what brand of uke (brand and size) are the quickest to sell ...or I should say the most appealing to buyers!

Jim Hanks
05-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Certain builders do seem to have a "mystique" about them and their ukes get snapped up quickly - Moore, Lfdm, Ono, Timms to name a few.

kohanmike
05-28-2018, 04:02 PM
I've seen some really good ones linger for a while in the Market Place, case in point; I bought a Godin Multiuke last year for $400 (normally $650 to $750) that was bumped a number of times, jumped on it at the time because the day before, I missed out on an Ovation tenor cutaway eBay auction that I didn't do the Buy Now for $400. Was not at all thinking about a Godin, but boy am I glad I didn't get the Ovation, the Godin is much better.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

EDW
05-28-2018, 04:03 PM
It is also the case of the instrument finding the right buyer. I have seen some instruments that get snapped up, while the same instrument at a different time takes a while before it is sold.

Choirguy
05-28-2018, 04:15 PM
I would guess that the K Brands are most desirable; I have my own list of instruments that I have seen that I am looking for—and when they appear here at a good price, I can’t help myself.

DownUpDave
05-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Certain builders do seem to have a "mystique" about them and their ukes get snapped up quickly - Moore, Lfdm, Ono, Timms to name a few.

I agree with Jim. The highly regarded custom ukes usually sell because they don't come up for sale very often and the buyer is saving money and time (one year wait for some) purchasing used.

Lapyang
05-28-2018, 04:24 PM
In addition to the above named, Mya Moe and Kinnard will go within hours if priced fairly.

Ragtop232
05-28-2018, 04:28 PM
I would also say Tenors would be the most desirable size and selling from brands Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a and Martin. Then anything from Collings will normally sell rather quickly. However, these brands will unexplainably not move quickly and linger for days/weeks before selling and then sometimes they will be gobbled up in a matter of hours.

Xtradust
05-28-2018, 08:07 PM
My dad always said that if a house doesn’t sell, there’s only one thing wrong with it. The price.

I feel that underpriced ukuleles sell more quickly than overpriced ukuleles. There’s a general consensus/history of what ukuleles sell for and when the asking price is less than expected price, people buy. I also think the greater the saving, the quicker the sale. :)

kypfer
05-28-2018, 10:49 PM
That's like asking "What's the tastiest item on the menu?" when you're in a restaurant ... and the answer is "Whatever I fancy at the time and hold the garlic"!

Croaky Keith
05-28-2018, 10:51 PM
If it's a quality uke at the right price, it will sell fairly quickly, of that I'm sure, but people have different ideas about both.

If someone is looking for that particular uke when it is put up for sale, it will also likely sell faster.

If there has been a spate of a particular uke in the market place lately, it will take a long time to sell, because those that were after one likely just bought one.

SoloRule
05-29-2018, 01:10 AM
My observation is that seller reputation is what made a uke sold faster !

Pirate Jim
05-29-2018, 01:24 AM
I'm selling a few at the moment and my experience is that, on these boards, brand name is the primary factor, followed by "is it a tenor?" My Pilgrim banjo uke didn't get any interest here but sold at the BIN on eBay two hours after I listed it. If it had been a Magic Fluke banjolele I suspect it would have sold here as they are one of the super popular UU brands.

Rllink
05-29-2018, 02:38 AM
Maybe this question deserves its own thread, but it seems that there are a lot of people who talk about the value of a ukulele based on resale. I mean, are they buying them with the intention of not keeping them? So I guess that I'm asking is if some people buy ukuleles primarily based on the rationalization that they can turn it over quickly if they see something else that they want?

Jerryc41
05-29-2018, 02:39 AM
Unlike ebay, high end ukes sell rather quickly here, while the less expensive common types don't. A $1,000 uke is obviously special, and people here like special. I have several basic ukes I'm going to put on ebay because they're not special enough for uke forums. They'll be gone in a week, and I'll have my money. The ukuleles I've bought from UU and Flea Market have been the special variety.

Xtradust
05-29-2018, 04:12 AM
I agree Jerryc41. This is the place to sell high-end ukes.

Regarding resale, I’ve been very excited to buy a certain ukulele in the past. Only to find it was not what I had hoped. If I know going in, that I can resell it without losing my shirt, I’m more apt to buy.

Jerryc41
05-29-2018, 09:47 AM
According to two recent polls here, Koaloha and tenor are the two most popular items among members. I would think that a Koaloha tenor would sell quickly. Maybe I'll buy one and put it up for sale to see how quickly it sells. :o

EDW
05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
I agree Jerryc41. This is the place to sell high-end ukes.

At the same time, there are plenty of people looking for instruments that are players or bargains. Some like the chance to just try a different instrument.

SoloRule
05-29-2018, 10:51 AM
According to two recent polls here, Koaloha and tenor are the two most popular items among members. I would think that a Koaloha tenor would sell quickly. Maybe I'll buy one and put it up for sale to see how quickly it sells. :o

That’s too funny. I will keep my eyes on that sell

70sSanO
05-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Obviously price is a major factor. A $20k Moore Bettah will just sit there but one at $2k would probably overload the message center.

Based on a fair price. I would think Blackbird, Hoffmann (Boat Paddle), Compass Rose, and G String would generate a lot of interest. I'm less enthusiastic about the K brands as they are pretty common and have seen a few a what I thought were decent prices not move.

As others have said, seller reputation plays into the equation. If the first post is selling a ukulele, I'm thinking twice... unless it is that $2k Moore Bettah, then I figure a way to pick it up personally... lol!

John

M3Ukulele
05-29-2018, 03:39 PM
For me, seller reputation is very important. There are a few members on UU who are the gold standard for great reputation. Following that, its need for me and price. I star looking at 30% off going price of a new Uke. Then is the Uke unique or have a great wood pattern, it goes without saying that tone is important the good roller seem to post a video or sound sample with their pics. Also, I find the seller with the good reps price reasonable and move the ukulele quickly. A lesson I hope to heed when I part with any of my ukuleles in the future.

Jerryc41
05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
For me, seller reputation is very important. There are a few members on UU who are the gold standard for great reputation. Following that, its need for me and price. I star looking at 30% off going price of a new Uke. Then is the Uke unique or have a great wood pattern, it goes without saying that tone is important the good roller seem to post a video or sound sample with their pics. Also, I find the seller with the good reps price reasonable and move the ukulele quickly. A lesson I hope to heed when I part with any of my ukuleles in the future.

Funny you mentioned the 30% figure. When I sell, I think about asking 70% of what I paid.

sunshiNee
05-30-2018, 12:47 AM
I stopped looking... UU Market Place is great if you're living in the US.... All the ukes that I have desired on UU are CONUS only :(.

Jerryc41
05-30-2018, 01:01 AM
I stopped looking... UU Market Place is great if you're living in the US.... All the ukes that I have desired on UU are CONUS only :(.

Too bad. I've shipped things to different countries. I wonder why people are hesitant to ship overseas. The most I've had to do is fill out a small customs form. This could be awkward, but if you had something shipped to me, I could forward it to you. As I said - awkward, since you don't know me.

sunshiNee
05-30-2018, 01:31 AM
Haha thanks for the offer Jerry.
I probably can't describe how anxious I would feel after buying a Ukulele and shipping it to a stranger that clearly has UAS. It might be stuck in customs (your house) for a long while hahaha :)

Too bad. I've shipped things to different countries. I wonder why people are hesitant to ship overseas. The most I've had to do is fill out a small customs form. This could be awkward, but if you had something shipped to me, I could forward it to you. As I said - awkward, since you don't know me.

Jerryc41
05-30-2018, 01:46 AM
Haha thanks for the offer Jerry.
I probably can't describe how anxious I would feel after buying a Ukulele and shipping it to a stranger that clearly has UAS. It might be stuck in customs (your house) for a long while hahaha :)

Yes, I see what you mean. I sold one yesterday, but then bought another. I have three more for sale, so, hopefully, my total will decline. : )

SoloRule
05-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Yes a lot of sellers are uncomfortable shipping overseas even to Canada . All they need is fill out a custom form. Custom charge is to the buyer not the seller. Shipping from any where including Hawaii to Canada is about $45 (I am talking about a hard PONO tenor case). Sellers don't realize buyers from Canada, Europe, UK don't have the opportunity to try uke at their local shop so buying used instrument through UU is their best option .

DownUpDave
05-30-2018, 06:32 AM

To add to what Brenda said above. I live in Canada (not sure where you are) and I have bought many instrument that were listed CONUS onlly. I explain to the seller that all they do is take it to the post office and mail it out. No different then sending which CONUS, no additional forms to fill out.......nothing. I always mention postage will be more tnan what they figured if it was included in the price and I will pay the difference. Hope that helps, it never hurts to just ask the seller anyways.

Joyful Uke
05-30-2018, 06:32 AM
I think an additional problem with shipping overseas, though, is CITES. I don't know how to ship something that might get stopped because of CITES.

I do feel for the non-CONUS people who don't have the options that we have here in the US, but I have no idea how to safely and legally get an instrument to you.

JonThysell
05-30-2018, 08:40 AM
The most desirable uke is the one you regret selling in the first place.

SoloRule
05-30-2018, 02:40 PM
I think an additional problem with shipping overseas, though, is CITES. I don't know how to ship something that might get stopped because of CITES.

I do feel for the non-CONUS people who don't have the options that we have here in the US, but I have no idea how to safely and legally get an instrument to you.

Rosewood is the only issue with CITES. Everything else is fine. There is no different than shipping within the U.S.

SoloRule
05-30-2018, 02:40 PM
The most desirable uke is the one you regret selling in the first place.

I agreed. I miss my Tiny Tenor......:( I was a bad mother.

Pueo
05-30-2018, 03:53 PM
I have sold just one ukulele here - a Kamoa solid maple GC-700 grand concert.
It sold in about 90 minutes, I am guessing because of the price, roughly half what it cost new.
It was about five years old at the time of the sale, well-used but also well cared for, and included a hard case.
Apparently both the buyer and I felt it was a fair price!

Joyful Uke
05-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Rosewood is the only issue with CITES. Everything else is fine. There is no different than shipping within the U.S.

I think all of my ukuleles, (past & present), have some rosewood, like a rosewood bridge, so AFAIK, CITES would be a problem if shipping out of the US. Am I misunderstanding?

janeray1940
05-30-2018, 04:37 PM
I explain to the seller that all they do is take it to the post office and mail it out. No different then sending which CONUS, no additional forms to fill out.......nothing. I always mention postage will be more tnan what they figured if it was included in the price and I will pay the difference. Hope that helps, it never hurts to just ask the seller anyways.

Every time I've sold I've listed as CONUS only, but that's because within the U.S. I can use UPS to ship (it's not cost effective anywhere else, even to Hawaii). Going to the post office in my city is something I avoid at all costs - it's a truly miserable experience and since they are only open weekdays when I am at work, I have to take time off to go, which means loss of income.

That being said, every time a potential non-CONUS buyer has messaged me to express interest, I've told them that if they pay me for my time lost from work in addition to postage and my asking price, I'll endure the innermost circle of hell, uh, I mean the post office, and I've done so for a couple of buyers. So it never hurts to ask!

Dansimpson
05-31-2018, 12:02 AM
Most desirable? The one someone wil snatch up at a bargain price knowing it will turn a good profit. Not all biuyers are players or collectors, more opportunists...

Jerryc41
05-31-2018, 01:49 AM
Most desirable? The one someone wil snatch up at a bargain price knowing it will turn a good profit. Not all biuyers are players or collectors, more opportunists...

I would hate to rely on making a profit selling used ukuleles. One of George Formby's banjo ukes sold for 28,500, but that's the exception. When I sell, I aim for about 70% of what it cost new.