Super unofficial sort of market study

koalohapaul

Reaction score
Hello UUers,

So let's say KoAloha were to come out with a new standard format this year. Would you rather see a baritone or 8-string tenor? I'm leaning towards the baritone, as a few musicians and friends have been asking for years. The 8-string seems to be a little more niche, but we do receive steady inquiries about them.

One thing I like about the baritone, is that I may(heavy operative word) start building D-VI's in the baritone format, but tuned to EADGBE. Technically, it would be a fractional guitar at that point, but sometimes I'm not a technical guy. Call it what you want, as long as you're making music.

Anyway, please give me your honest feedback. The results will have an impact on my decision, although I may not make the target of this year.

Mahalo,
Paul

I've heard people calling out for some pink Sceptres around here. :biglaugh:

I couldn't offer a fair opinion on this one Paul.
I'm in love with my Sunday!!!! :shaka:

Ha ha! That crazy pink Sceptre.

Glad you're enjoying the PS. Sorry I couldn't get the laser job any cleaner. It was driving me nuts with the setup. Whenever we do a laser on the back of a finished instrument, I have to secure it with blocks and tape. I get all nuts if someone even walks in the room, because the natural order of progression is for them to come over and ask me what I'm doing. Then, they approach my machine and I get REALLY nervous. What didn't make it any easier, is that was the last Pineapple Sunday that we had with the debossed grid pattern. When my dad retires a process, it's near impossible to get him to do it again. Anyway, that settles my question if you're the same spooner. I assumed you were, but you can never be too sure.

Ha ha! That crazy pink Sceptre.

Glad you're enjoying the PS. Sorry I couldn't get the laser job any cleaner. It was driving me nuts with the setup. Whenever we do a laser on the back of a finished instrument, I have to secure it with blocks and tape. I get all nuts if someone even walks in the room, because the natural order of progression is for them to come over and ask me what I'm doing. Then, they approach my machine and I get REALLY nervous. What didn't make it any easier, is that was the last Pineapple Sunday that we had with the debossed grid pattern. When my dad retires a process, it's near impossible to get him to do it again. Anyway, that settles my question if you're the same spooner. I assumed you were, but you can never be too sure.

Yes sir. That's me.
The image is great.
The pics sent were HUGE and I didn't realize until after sending out an email or two how small the image would actually be in comparison.
I am real jazzed to have one that Pops did himself.
I lowered the action on it a bit and this uke sounds heavenly!
The sound gets better and better!
No complaints here!

I didn't get to go out to the jake workshop though.
I had forgot that it was during Easter weekend and my daughter...well..she still believes in the easter Bunny. :D

I will be taking it down to a big music festival I have been working on for awhile next weekend and the Spoonah-lele will definitely see some stage time!!! :shaka:

Thank you for everything Paul!!!
You guys are the best!!!

I'd like to see the 8-string tenor. I was actually going to email you guys about making one. If you do make it, I'm up for being a tester. :)

I would love to see a Baritone from KoAloha. If it were to be in the same format as a D-VI, I'd been even more interested in it.

It would be a fractional guitar at that point, but how many guitar manufacturers build fractional guitars with solid koa and has a reputation for making high quality instruments?

I can't think of many. :confused:

- Chuck

Well...I love the 8-string. Had an 8-string and someday will have one again.

Don't love the bari. Had a bari. Will never have one again.

But that's just personal preference, of course! A KoAloha 8-string would be awesome!

Personally, I think I'd go for the eight-string tenor. It's not something I've ever tried, so it would be intriguing to see. That, and a baritone can be troublesome at times.

I would personally go for the 8-string tenor too, but I have to say I think the baritone would round out the line-up better. Just not a bari fan myself.

KoAloha would make a brilliant bari, but their six-string sounds excellent from what I've heard (Don't have one but I'd really love to get one in the future) to maybe an 8 string would be a good idea. I'm sure whatever is made would be excellent :)

Very interesting, guys. Thank you for the responses. I thought the baritone would be the favorite, but it seems there's just as strong of a demand for the 8-string.

for me.. i would like to see an 8 string..

but.. the other idea "fractional guitar" sounds cool also.. the truth is i would love to pick up and play both!!

you guys seem wise... and i am sure you whatever you choose it will be well made and sell as such..

d

8-string baritone

Personally I would like to see a Kamaka 8-string baritone ukulele. Don't know if there are any 8-string baritone ukes in existance.

Aloha Paul

+1 for the 8-string...I've been planning an 8-string for my next uke, and if there's a chance you guys'll start building 8's, I'd happily hold off until those go into production...I think I might have even asked you about 8-stringers a few times in the past

On the other hand, a baritone D-VI sounds like something I wouldn't mind getting my hands on either...haha

I'd love a "fractional guitar" baritone. It's hard to find a good-quality, all-solid guitalele unless you pay out the butt for a custom. ;)

Aloha Paul!

From a D-VI user and also one who owned a uke baritone before the D-VI, I personally never played my baritone uke as much. When the D-VI came out I gave my baritone away because the D-VI was a perfect for me, could play it as a uke if I wanted or guitar.

I personally would also like to see an eight string myself too. I love the sound of the eight string and it would be a popular choice.

By the way I hope to send you a KoAloha storyboard soon!

-G

Top Bottom