Koaloha Scepter

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw pictures of the Koaloha Scepter in a book about Koaloha, and I thought it was just a one-off made for promotion and advertising. I was surprised to see that it's been around since at least 2011, and some have come up for sale.

Do any of you know anything about this model?

Koaloha Scepter.jpg

The Sceptre is one of Koaloha's more unique designs, along with the Pineapple Sunday. I have played a few in my time, and they sound good, as all Koalohas do. They are not uncommon; I have seen many come up for sale over the years. I prefer a more traditional design (I have a Koaloha Super Concert and love it), but they definitely have their fans!

I saw pictures of the Koaloha Scepter in a book about Koaloha, and I thought it was just a one-off made for promotion and advertising. I was surprised to see that it's been around since at least 2011, and some have come up for sale.

Do any of you know anything about this model?

View attachment 109372
Yes.

What do you want to know about it?

"...anything..." :)
The design was inspired by a dream papa koaloha had. Very loud. I owned one and deached it to a friend. I got it as a partial deached from Deach himself.

Not to hard to hold and it held its own against guitars.

I played a Scepter back-to-back with a standard (not Opio) Koaloha concert, and tenor, and other than the shape being different, it did not seem 'better' in tone or playability that the standard-shape instruments.

Maybe this one is considered special because of the shape?

Other than that, the sound was very 'Koaloha' and just like the others within arms each at the time.

However, I do not own, nor will likely seek out a Koaloha instrument, as it's just not my thing.

Member ksiegel has one, and (not to put words in his mouth) loves it.

Well, you aren't putting words in my mouth. I do love it.

I went to Ukulele Source in San Jose for the purpose of getting a Pineapple Sunday - I love the sound of the one Victoria Vox was playing.

I played every ukulele in Ukulele source that day, from the $75 Kalas and Ohanas on up through the top of the line Kamaka and KoAlohas. I saw the Sceptre, thought it looked too damned gimmicky, and resolved not to play it.

By the time I got to the Sunday, I hadn't found anything that I really liked enough to buy. Including all the K-brands. So I figured, "what the hell", and took the Sceptre off of the hanger.

My wife had been sitting and knitting the entire time I was playing, and agreed that nothing really sounded any better than the Kala Cedar Top I'd gotten from MGM. But she was humoring me, and listened while I played.

About 10-20 seconds into the Sceptre, I stopped playing. Nancy and I just looked at each other, and said "Wow." No loud outburst, no "THIS IS THE ONE!! I'VE FOUND THE GRAIL!!" just, "Wow."

The only ukulele I have that I like better than the Sceptre is a Concert that Bradford Donaldson custom built for me. And I have more than 20 ukuleles.

So thanks for remembering I've got the Sceptre, Kathryn.

And Jerry, let me know if you plan on attending the Normanskill Strummers get-together on June 14. If so, I'll try to remember to bring the Sceptre.

-Kurt​

(BTW, I am holding my Sceptre in the Avatar photo, and wearing Reyn Spooner's Honolulu Fire Department Aloha Shirt. After all, I _am a retired Firefighter...)

Last edited:
Well, you aren't putting words in my mouth. I do love it.

I went to Ukulele Source in San Jose for the purpose of getting a Pineapple Sunday - I love the sound of the one Victoria Vox was playing.

I played every ukulele in Ukulele source that day, from the $75 Kalas and Ohanas on up through the top of the line Kamaka and KoAlohas. I saw the Sceptre, thought it looked too damned gimmicky, and resolved not to play it.

By the time I got to the Sunday, I hadn't found anything that I really liked enough to buy. Including all the K-brands. So I figured, "what the hell", and took the Sceptre off of the hanger.

My wife had been sitting and knitting the entire time I was playing, and agreed that nothing really sounded any better than the Kala Cedar Top I'd gotten from MGM. But she was humoring me, and listened while I played.

About 10-20 seconds into the Sceptre, I stopped playing. Nancy and I just looked at each other, and said "Wow." No loud outburst, no "THIS IS THE ONE!! I'VE FOUND THE GRAIL!!" just, "Wow."

The only ukulele I have that I like better than the Sceptre is a Concert that Bradford Donaldson custom built for me. And I have more than 20 ukuleles.

So thanks for remembering I've got the Sceptre, Kathryn.

And Jerry, let me know if you plan on attending the Normanskill Strummers get-together on June 14. If so, I'll try to remember to bring the Sceptre.

-Kurt​

(BTW, I am holding my Sceptre in the Avatar photo, and wearing Reyn Spooner's Honolulu Fire Department Aloha Shirt. After all, I _am a retired Firefighter...)

So you're a Normanskill Strummer! I'll see you on the 14th.

You mentioned the Kala cedar top. I saw Brett McQueen playing one, and I did some research, found it, and bought one. I like the looks and the sound Do you have the slotted headstock? I like that look.

I probably have close to 50+ ukes. In the mix I have a custom tenor Koaloha Scepter- Madagascar ebony, ebony fretboard and the old crown bridge (ebony) with a spruce top. It is amongst my favorite ukes. If it were concert size it would be perfect for me- I traded a custom Collings guitar for it. Surprisingly it is quite easy to hold. It is a nice uke!

I probably have close to 50+ ukes. In the mix I have a custom tenor Koaloha Scepter- Madagascar ebony, ebony fretboard and the old crown bridge (ebony) with a spruce top. It is amongst my favorite ukes. If it were concert size it would be perfect for me- I traded a custom Collings guitar for it. Surprisingly it is quite easy to hold. It is a nice uke!

I'm glad to hear about someone who has more ukes than my thirty-nine. ;)

I had many sceptres stored at my house for a friend of mine who is a uke dealer , not only Sept rest but kamakas, kanileas, big island ukes koaloha all types and several of the same. I tried many sceptre and one just sang to me, I would say it was one of the best sounding in all the new ukes that was stored in my place at that time.

For some unknown reason Alaister Wood isn’t a name that I see here at all, but he’s a fantastic player and author - he has his own Uke site too (http://ukulelehunt.com).

Unless I’m mistaken he’s done some of him demo Videos on a Scepter - don’t know what his current favourite Uke is - and think that this might be of interest (it’s slow at first but it takes off later): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWd-PnQx6Js

Edit. As a bonus this is linked to on the front page of his web site : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Us2gvv4uygs&time_continue=7 . It’s a long time since I’ve listened to any of Woodshed’s videos but his skill both inspires me and casts me into depression: I’m inspired to practice but how can anyone hope to reach that level of skill.

Last edited:
Alaister Wood isn’t a (famous) name that I see here at all, but he’s a fantastic player and author - he has his own Uke site too (http://ukulelehunt.com).

I’m sure he’s done some of him demo Videos on a Scepter - don’t know what his current favourite Uke is - and think that this might be of interest (it’s slow at first but it takes off later): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWd-PnQx6Js

Thanks for that. I recently watched a clip of that from Deliverance, it was very boring. Too slow and drawn out. The makers of that film just picked the kid out of the local high school. He had no idea how to play a banjo. There's an interview with him on YouTube somewhere.

Hey Jerryc41, 39 ukes is just getting started. ;)

I feel that all Koalohas are wonderful. The Pineapple Sunday and Sceptre are amazing.

But I sold my Pineapple Sunday and kept the Sceptre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom