Bolt and/or glue baritone neck to body

GaryDavis

Reaction score
Greetings from Montana. I've searched several archives for techniques to attach the neck to body. I'm building a baritone from LMI plans. I've gotten to the point where I have to make some decisions about attaching the neck. Plans and accompanying manual state bolt and glue. I've dry-fit neck and body with inserts and bolts and it seems OK for my first attempt. I haven't braced the back yet and here's another step that makes me sweat.

My hands are way too big for the sound hole, so I don't want to glue the back and restrict my access to the bolt inserts when glueing at final attachment. This is a gift for my 7 y-o granddaughter who is quite talented and plays a concert ukulele with her mom, but I know it will be abused at times so I want it stout. I want to finish the pieces separately then final attachment.

Some suggest some sort of flexible allen key which is what I think I need. Still that seems difficult. I would be thankful for any and all suggestions to make this process a little less scary.

Gary

and

Pete H plans to have an endpin on his ukes and drills the hole early in the building process. This way he can get a long allen key(or extension) right the way through to the neck bolt. No need to go through the soundhole.

Thanks for that. What is an endpin?

I still don't know how I'm going to access and install the allen bolts once the back is on the body. Any other ideas?

Gary

I suggest you google guitar endpin and look at images. As you will see, the hole drilled for the endpin gives you access to the allen bolt at the neck end, by using a long reach allen key extension. The actual bolt can be attached onto the allen key as it passes the soundhole, and you can then carefully guide it into the neck block hole.

I use a 1/4" ratchet to go in through the sound hole.

I cut an allen key off and found the right socket to fit it as in the picture. The knurled piece is an addition that I can use to do most of the turns by hand and just need the ratchet for the final snug up.

Easy as, and you don't need to worry about an end pin if you didn't plan on one. Even works on soprano's.

small ratchet1.jpg

Top Bottom