almost perfect intonation on Super concert Koaloha ukulele

dparis007

Reaction score
Hi,

I was able to obtain an almost perfect intonation on my Koaloha ukulele, which had issues on the E and A strings which were sharp at the 12th fret. I had tried to flip the saddle in order to extend the saddle length further back on the bridge side, but it was not enough for the E and A strings. I guess the saddle was probably not pushed back enough when the ukulele was built to compensate for intonation at the 12th fret.

So I added an extra saddle that I shimmed and placed directly behind my existing saddle. So the g and C strings rest on the main saddle and the E and A strings rest on the new saddle. Works a treat. Here is a picture so that people who have these kind of issues can rely on.

What do you guys think about my solution?saddle.jpg

Last edited:
Good fix. If it were me I'd eventually want to use a single thicker saddle. But if it works and sounds good, just keep playing.

John

I think it's a bit of genius if it works!

I’d like that too. It is however hard to find a blank saddle which is wide enough. I might end our glueing both saddles together even if I don’t feel the added saddle is moving at all!

What a great solution, congrats!

This is really innovative, nice. I'd be pretty concerned about such an expensive instrument needing it though - isn't it KoAloha who have a "better than the weather" warranty? I'd definitely get in touch with them about a more permanent fix and see what their take on it is.

You could try to make a saddle with a shelf, it's not as hard as it looks:
P1020861.jpg

Love the idea. This was the basis of my fix but did not have a blank saddle wide enough to build a saddle like the one on your picture . So this was my way of building a « wider saddle ».

The sharpness at the 12th fret on the E and A strings was not that bad and was near perfect on the g and C strings . Coming from guitar, I felt it needed a little adjustment. Really no reason to send the instrument back to Koaloha :)

I agree great job. Just a little concerned that a expensive ukulele needs the fix. I’d contact KoAloha and get a permanent fix. Good thinking on your part and if you are far away where shipping is expensive all the more brilliant!

Top Bottom