What Brand of Strings for Warm and Sustained Sound

I would like to know which brand of strings have the warmest tone and sustain the longest for baritone and for tenor ukuleles.

don't use living water, there too thick and high tension so loose a lot of sustain.
you want fluorocarbons with low tension like Worth CL or CMs , but since you want warmt as well. try out the Worth Browns CL or CM.

South Coast, Martins, Savarez, Aquila, D’addario all work well for me.

don't use living water, there too thick and high tension so loose a lot of sustain.
you want fluorocarbons with low tension like Worth CL or CMs , but since you want warmt as well. try out the Worth Browns CL or CM.

I have had good results with Living Waters. It may be different for each person's taste and each instrument. Southcoast are nice. I have heard that Oasis has a "warm" set of strings, but have not tried them yet.

On my four-string tenors I've settled on the Moore Bettah mix, with the E and A strings from the Oasis Warm Low G set, and a Thomastik Infeld CF27 for the C string, and Thomastik Infeld CF 30 for the Low G.

I use those same TI strings for the C and Low A on a six-string tenor, but paired there with Worth browns for the fluorocarbons. The Worth browns are really growing on me, I may bring those over to the four-string tenors as well. :)

As mentioned above, Worth Browns and also Fremont blacklines are on the mellower, warmer side...

It's amazing to me that the color of the strings can cause the eyes to convince the ears of something.

Longer sustain comes from LOWER tension, period.

Nylon strings will be warmer than anything else.

D'Addario has the nylon strings for each scale length, and I recommend the 'rectified nylon' in this case.

These are ALSO lower tension, and thus longer sustain than any fluoro strings, but will be thicker than fluoro strings because nylon has a lower linear density than fluoro.

All the above is based upon testing over 100 different sets of strings over the past 4 yrs across more than a dozen different ukes, and yes, cost a small fortune, but somebody had to do it and I needed ANSWERS LOL and got them...

But everyone 'hears' differently, so YMMV... :)

As Booli just said, nylon strings will give you the warmest/mellow sound. As far as fluoros go, Living Waters and Oasis Warms are to my ear the warmest........but in full disclosure, have never tried them on a Bari

Top Bottom