NUD: Koaloha Scepter

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw a Scepter in a book about the Koaloha company, and I thought it was a one-off. I later found out that they made lots of them. I don't know when this one was made, but I think it was an early model because it has white Koaloha tuners. The condition was listed as "Good," but it looks "Excellent" to me. A set of amber Gotohs will arrive from HMS on Friday. They'll look and work much better.

I was concerned that it would be too big and heavy, but it's light and comfortable with a great big sound.

I was glad to find this one on Reverb. It came all the way from Japan, and arrived in only four days. It took FedEx six days to get one to me from CA.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

"Holy batwing, Batman!!" That is a very unique and wonderful looking instrument! Congrats!!

Great job Jerry! You will love it!
The original tuners are made by Schaller (with Koaloha logos) and are very high-end.
I would imagine that if Koaloha discontinued them it would be because they found a less expensive option.
Good luck with the new Uke!

Is it a soprano or concert?
It should have the date stamp inside, where the neck joins the body, like other KoAloha ukes. My KoAloha concert is 2006 and has those same tuners. I thought about changing them, as they are a bit fiddly, but I like their vintage appeal.
It sure looks cool. Let us know how it sounds.

Great job Jerry! You will love it!
The original tuners are made by Schaller (with Koaloha logos) and are very high-end.
I would imagine that if Koaloha discontinued them it would be because they found a less expensive option.
Good luck with the new Uke!

Thanks for that bit of info. I like the looks of the modern amber/rose colored tuners that Koaloha is using. The Gotohs I ordered will look similar.

It should have the date stamp inside, where the neck joins the body, like other KoAloha ukes. My KoAloha concert is 2006 and has those same tuners. I thought about changing them, as they are a bit fiddly, but I like their vintage appeal.

It's a concert, and the sound is very nice - loud and clear.

Enjoy the new toy. I have those tuners on my koaloha and they work fantastic. I rarely had to retune even after days on end, even weeks. I think you should keep the originals even if they're not Amber or geared. But I guess a man's gotta do what a man's Gotta Do.
Koaloha Sceptre was popular when I was looking to upgrade some 5 Plus years ago. I thought I would get one good Uke and be done. Ha! Uas Is real. But I also work on my playing and that has improved immensely. Don't forget that part :) Play Everyday. Point that scepter in the right direction

That is a Concert mode (only available in concert and tenor)l, and no, there is no date stamp inside. KoAloha does not date stamp the Sceptre, and I don't think that they stamp the Pineapple Sunday, and likely not the Jukebox or Rising Sun models, either.

They also made some super limited edition concert Sceptres with Ebony, but I've only seen photographs.

-Kurt​

And I'll get to try it on June 14th, and compare it with my Tenor Sceptre.

Enjoy the new toy. I have those tuners on my koaloha and they work fantastic. I rarely had to retune even after days on end, even weeks. I think you should keep the originals even if they're not Amber or geared. But I guess a man's gotta do what a man's Gotta Do.
Koaloha Sceptre was popular when I was looking to upgrade some 5 Plus years ago. I thought I would get one good Uke and be done. Ha! Uas Is real. But I also work on my playing and that has improved immensely. Don't forget that part :) Play Everyday. Point that scepter in the right direction

Thanks for that. I'll keep them on for a while and see how I like them. I like the distinctive look, but I also like the amber. Ah, yes. Practice. : )

Congratulations Jerry
Is it comfortable to hold? Does it dig into your right forearm?
I have never seen one look like this. You always find treasure! Happy you bought it and share it with us.

I was concerned about holding it, but it's fine, although I would like a strap, maybe a Huggy or Mobius.

It came with a hard case that seems to be shaped for it, but it looks very old. I can fit it into regular, curvy cases, though, so it will get a new home.

Last edited:
It came with a hard case that seems to be shaped for it, but it looks very old. I can fit it into regular, curvy cases, though, so it will get a new home.

I asked about a case specifically for the Sceptre, but was told that it didn't exist. So I got an O'ahu Tenor Case from HMS, and with a little padding (I use microfiber cloths) it fits fine.

I asked about a case specifically for the Sceptre, but was told that it didn't exist. So I got an O'ahu Tenor Case from HMS, and with a little padding (I use microfiber cloths) it fits fine.

I'll experiment with cases I have and see what works.

Jerry

If the tuners are an easy swap, you can always just keep the original tuners...in case you ever find the ebony/koa model and want to sell this one as original. ;)

I have a friend who owns a (the?) Tenor ebony/koa six-string Scepter! It’s beautiful...and can be yours for the low price of...$2,700!!! (Ouch!)

If the tuners are an easy swap, you can always just keep the original tuners...in case you ever find the ebony/koa model and want to sell this one as original. ;)

I have a friend who owns a (the?) Tenor ebony/koa six-string Scepter! It’s beautiful...and can be yours for the low price of...$2,700!!! (Ouch!)

Top Bottom