Uke and surfing

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
While surfing the internet, mostly here or HMS, I almost always have a ukulele with me. I play and surf and surf and play. This way I am not completely loosing playing time as I dive deep down the ukulele internet pipeline. How about you, while at home in front of your computer screen do you have a uke at hand to noodle on as you surf?
Some surfing buddies below at the LfdM party

LFDMfamily.jpg

Sweet looking ukes!

I have my ukes right next to my computer, but in their cases. So I don't often just pick them up on a whim. Practice is pretty easy to jump into, though, so I get plenty of that.

I one day hope to one day be able to surf with a uke. It would be so cool to play in the lineup. The tuners are my biggest concern.

John

It's actually pretty rare that I surf the web when I'm at home and I wouldn't want to bring my ukes to work. I hope my boss doesn't see this post.

Sometimes I do, but I don't do it purposely and regualarly. My ukes move around, so there is not always one there handy while I'm on my computer or tablet, but sometimes there is, and if there is, sometimes I strum it while I'm looking at my computer.

Sometimes I do, but I don't do it purposely and regualarly. My ukes move around, so there is not always one there handy while I'm on my computer or tablet, but sometimes there is, and if there is, sometimes I strum it while I'm looking at my computer.

Hey Rolling my "music room" is my kitchen table and I use a tablet as my main computer. Around the corner, in the dining room, are ukes in cases that are in the weekly rotation. I pull a uke out of the case walk into the kitchen, the uke has its own chair with uke stand. I can surf the Web, play my uke either songs memorized, in a binder or off a website. Chatting here on UU with a uke at hand while strumming or picking is more fun than one man has a right to enjoy, but I do

20180606_155217.jpg

Last edited:
Bill1 the fountain pen harkens back to a much more civil time, I like that. I keep note paper and pen handy as well. As I get pulled down the rabbit hole more times than not I come upon a song I want to learn or even a riff or lick. I can jot it out on paper, grab the uke beside me and started the learning right there and then.

I am planning a 460 km cycling trip this summer, about 8 days in length and plan to take a uke with me. It must be wonderful to be able to walk down to the ocean, watch the surfers and bring a uke along if your heart desires.

I am planning a 460 km cycling trip this summer, about 8 days in length and plan to take a uke with me. It must be wonderful to be able to walk down to the ocean, watch the surfers and bring a uke along if your heart desires.

Dave,

Congrats on your planned trip. Sounds like a blast. It is always good to get on the bike and clear the mind.

John

I have to say I never play when I'm surfing the internet, but I look at ukes all the time online, and will design one inspired by what I see. This is a uke I'm contemplating possibly having Bruce Wei make for me, a dual cutaway with Ovation style dual set of leaf soundholes. I do play my ukes when I'm sitting on my couch in the living room while watching TV.

Leaf hole dual cutaway 900.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Took up surfiing at 55. It brought out the boy in me. During a subsequent Christmas I requested a ukulele as I'd played one in my youth, well now the ukulele is dominate when playing and rescue work are combined. There has always been a ukulele by my computer either at home or when I was working. For years it was a Northern Soprano as it stood on the desk like a small sculpture. It has migrated to playable wall art with the Treholippee pictured.
Both surfing and strumming keep me young at 75.View attachment 109553

While surfing the internet, mostly here or HMS, I almost always have a ukulele with me. I play and surf and surf and play. This way I am not completely loosing playing time as I dive deep down the ukulele internet pipeline. How about you, while at home in front of your computer screen do you have a uke at hand to noodle on as you surf?
Some surfing buddies below at the LfdM party

Since I am now reduced to only two arms and hands, I cannot use the computer and play the uke. I must make a choice. Part of the day, I use the computer, and part of the day, I play the uke.

Since I am now reduced to only two arms and hands, I cannot use the computer and play the uke. I must make a choice. Part of the day, I use the computer, and part of the day, I play the uke.

Jeez Jerry never heard of multi-tasking.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I have 7 ukes at arms length hanging just above my computer monitor at all times.

Not always the same 7 ukes, but whatever is in rotation.

Often different scale lengths from soprano, concert and tenor...baritones and guitars are hanging a little farther away on the side wall, and instruments not in rotation are in there cases, nested and nestled in part of my closet.

Most of my practice and recording is done from the same chair as when using the computer, but I am seldom with a uke in hand while also surfing the web unless I am trying to learn a song and/or follow along with a YouTube video.

However, very often throughout the day I will grab one of the ukes (or guitars), verify it is in tune, and play for about 20-30 mins or so, and then put it back on it's hook.

Also, since all of my recording is done from the computer and all of my audio and video gear is connected to the computer, while also having the easy option of connecting to the iPad if I want, this is the hot-seat where all of that recording, playing and computer use will happen with my butt in the same place.

All of my Seasons videos were filmed with me sitting in this chair except one where I was standing up and experimenting with different video lighting against a washed-out white background.

I have never been surfboarding, but did try wind-surfing (or sail-boarding as some call it) once, and nearly drowned while doing so as the winds were too strong and the force against the sail launched me into the air, over the sail as it collapsed into the water and as I came down and hit my head on the mast, I was knocked out...woken up by lifeguards at the beach, where they carried me after rescuing me from my 'flight' and being knocked out. Good thing for lifejackets and that they were vigilant and able to grab me in time before the rip-currents carried me away.

So I am hesitant to get anywhere near a surfboard of any kind again. Like in the movie series 'Lethal Weapon', as far as surfing in the ocean goes, where Danny Glover repeatedly says "I'm too old for this s**t".

LOL.

Glad it turned out well Booli. I never board surfed, but I did a lot of body surfing cutting class regularly.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

My ukuleles live in my office. They are just an arm's length away. I frequently have one either in my lap or sitting on the little stand while I'm on the computer.

I've surfed a raft in a rapid many times (never on purpose). I grew up near the beach in Florida & tried out a boogie board a few times. One of these days I'll take my sea kayak to the ocean & I'm sure I'll get surfed trying to launch from a beach.

Attachments

• DSCF1652.jpg
    DSCF1652.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom