WTB: Kala Elite MHG1-C or other quality Mahogany concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am currently smitten with the sound of a Kala Elite MHG-C concert I got to play the other day.
The store was willing to knock it down a hundred bucks, but I prefer to buy at used prices, so thought I'd check here to see if anyone wants to move along a nice solid wood mahogany concert uke.

I'd consider other brands or even custom makes, but want a lightly constructed instrument from a reputable builder, preferably American made - although I'd definitely make an exception for a Timms (does he make concerts?) or another Howlett... I'd consider another Kiwaya.
(I'll admit I'm jealous of Jerry's recently acquired Mya-Moe.)

For the right instrument, I would also consider a trade from my line-up below. But these are all marvelous instruments, so I'd have to be pretty excited...
I'm supposedly moving to a 'catch and release' model, LOL.

Thx........

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. Seems it was one of those days my speller brain was not turned on, nothing looked right...
And there's no option to delete a post, right?

Last edited:
Wow, not one hog concert out there looking for a new home?
I thought these kinds of posts usually scare something up...

Ukeinfused,
Here is what Choirguy wrote:
Hey everyone,

I went to the Friday morning jam session of the Twin Cities Ukulele Club (Minnesota), which was held at Groth Music (Bloomington, MN).

Jeff, one of the employees at Groth, announced that they are selling their remaining models of Kala Elite Koa ukuleles at a substantial discount...mostly sopranos but a couple of concerts, too. They come with a case and humidifier, and most were built in 2015.

If you are looking for a solid koa ukulele at a great price (while they last), contact Jeff at Groth Music (800.969.4772) and see what they have!

Yesterday, they still had some concert hogs around $450(msrp of over $1000). Good Luck.

Yesterday, they still had some concert hogs around $450(msrp of over $1000). Good Luck.

Thx for your reply.

The mahogany concert at Groth was actually the uke that sent me on this path. Really liked it.
But (Jeff?) was only willing to mark it down to $550, which was disappointing as I helped my friend buy the 1Koa-CG for only $450 (which listed for considerably more than the plainer mahogany version) .
Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow just to check again. Thx much.

MSRP of the MHG1-C is $849 but it seems to widely retail for around $650.
The Koa2-CG I also saw in the store did have $1000+ list price (list is rarely the retail price).

Last edited:
As a geeky band, choir, orchestra kid, I think every Christmas and birthday present I received, from age 6 to 18 was from Groth, and I still feel a little fear thinking of Mr. Groth, who seemed to hold the keys to the music kingdom and be slightly unwilling to share them with anyone unworthy. With four kids in band, he must have been happy to see my parents and grandparents coming, if only to sell an endless supply of reeds, but I always was afraid he'd force me to prove I could play whatever sheet music I needed. I loved going there, though and wish I still could.

As a geeky band, choir, orchestra kid, I think every Christmas and birthday present I received, from age 6 to 18 was from Groth, and I still feel a little fear thinking of Mr. Groth, who seemed to hold the keys to the music kingdom and be slightly unwilling to share them with anyone unworthy. With four kids in band, he must have been happy to see my parents and grandparents coming, if only to sell an endless supply of reeds, but I always was afraid he'd force me to prove I could play whatever sheet music I needed. I loved going there, though and wish I still could.

Omigosh, are you from MN, Ziret? I did not remember that.
I just gave them a call, and it's looking pretty darn hopeful! I will report back.

Well, thx to Luv2Uke encouraging me to check back at Groth, I am the proud owner of the 1MHG-C.
The price dropped from $550 to $420 in just a few days, and price included a really nice hardshell case.
I have my hog concert, and I'm thrilled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom