Kala KA-KC and Oscar Schmidt OU-5 koa concert ukulele

Canada Jim

Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading and would like to get rid of a couple of ukuleles. One of them was a gift and I have no recollection how much I paid for the other. I'd like some advice on what to charge for these ukes. The only modifications to them were strap pins added in the tail block. Otherwise they are in great condition.

front of ukes.jpg

back of ukes.jpg

What would be a fair price for each of these concert ukes?

A very quick glance at some similar ukes online suggests that the Kala model may be different now - do you know when these were made? Also, it's unlikely but if either had solid wood, even just for the top, it would be more valuable/desirable than all laminate to most potential buyers. Do you have any other information on either one? Which was the gift? I'm kinda looking for something in all-laminate to give my beginner sister.

Yesterday I traded the Kala in on a Cordoba tenor with a pick-up. The Kala was the gift and they allowed me $140 on it. The Schmidt, my wife decided to keep, so these are no longer available.
Good luck finding something suitable for your sister Rob. It's always nice to start a sibling or friend on the ukulele journey.

A very quick glance at some similar ukes online suggests that the Kala model may be different now - do you know when these were made? Also, it's unlikely but if either had solid wood, even just for the top, it would be more valuable/desirable than all laminate to most potential buyers. Do you have any other information on either one? Which was the gift? I'm kinda looking for something in all-laminate to give my beginner sister.

Hi Rob,

I have a Kala KA-CG that might suit your sister. It's a concert sized, all laminate, mahogany model w/gloss finish.

I played it lightly for about 8 months, then switched to an Islander because I wanted a wider nut.

Mine is about 5 years old; well cared for and hardly used. Here's a link to the current version: https://kalabrand.com/collections/gloss-mahogany-ukulele/products/ka-cg

I'd say it's in excellent condition. PM me if you want more information.

June

Hi Jim and June - Always fun to see what others do with their ukes! My sister is thinking of going full-HPL now instead of traditional laminate like my concerts; one an Islander for the wider neck, the other a KoAlana that I truly love. I also have two solid wood two tenors, but no HPL instruments!

I am planning on upgrading and would like to get rid of a couple of ukuleles. One of them was a gift and I have no recollection how much I paid for the other. I'd like some advice on what to charge for these ukes. The only modifications to them were strap pins added in the tail block. Otherwise they are in great condition.

View attachment 109577

View attachment 109578

What would be a fair price for each of these concert ukes?

Oscar new - $143.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/oscar-schmidt-ou5-concert-koa-ukulele

A similar Kala for sale in 2010.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3492174

Last edited:
ubulele - NO, no, my concert ukuleles are the "traditional laminate" kind, and my odd sister wants HPL... I do not own anything in HPL materials! ;)

Electric ukes.jpg electric ukes back.jpg

These are my two tenor ukes, both with pick-ups. One is a Joe Zier with a side port and no top sound hole in linear tuning. The other is a Cordoba 15TB-E in re-entrant tuning.

Top Bottom