Facing the future

spongeuke

Reaction score
Do to a recent health issue, that I am recovering from, I have decided to face my mortality and sell off my collection/clutch of Martin Sopranos. It is much more difficult than the acquire process. I've resigned to the fact I'm going to loose money. I'd like them to go to a good home. How can you tell? Well starting the process here at UU is probably as good as it gets.
See 8 Martins in Marketplace. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133503-8-Martins&p=2071495#post2071495
I'm keeping my concert and a beater that has been extensively compromised.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

For each uke you should:
1) Take good pictures, natural indirect light works well.
2) Make a sound sample.
3) Write a description (maker, scale, condition, woods, finish...)
4) Figure out an asking price, including shipping.
5) Determine how you are to be paid, usually paypal works.
6) Post here on UU Marketplace, FMM, and possibly Reverb. I'm sure they'll find good homes if sold through these.

Last edited:
Hope you are well and recovering.

Do to a recent health issue, that I am recovering from, I have decided to face my mortality and sell off my collection/clutch of Martin Sopranos. It is much more difficult than the acquire process. I've resigned to the fact I'm going to loose money. I'd like them to go to a good home. How can you tell? Well starting the process here at UU is probably as good as it gets.
See 8 Martins in Marketplace. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133503-8-Martins&p=2071495#post2071495
I'm keeping my concert and a beater that has been extensively compromised.

It’s likely that I’m a lot younger than you and I’m in reasonable health so my outlook is favourable. However the reality of the situation is that none of use know how long we’ve got left in this world and that I could pass in a year or weeks time. As we age that uncertainty grows (of life expectancy) but it is just something we have to live with and accept; for me part of that acceptance is selling off some of my unused or very rarely used possessions. I’m selling them - sold two items today - so that my family won’t need to and so that I can create space in my life for other things - the proceeds are just a bonus. The items I retain are those that I both use now and enjoy, if I passed over tomorrow my estate wouldn’t get the best price for them but I’m happy to accept that loss so that they are still available to me whilst I can still use and enjoy them. That’s all a balance and for me a change in ‘life style’ choices.

Only you know what will suit you best but my suggestion would be to retain those that you use and enjoy playing and to let your estate accept some potential loss on what you keep (after all you could be enjoying those instruments for a significant time). That suggestion holds true, I think, for any older person and is becoming my own lifestyle choice, but YMMV. When my parents passed the value of their estate held little importance to me, what I wanted most was for them to enjoy life before they met their maker - I hope I’m not too unusual in that respect and believe that my own children’s views are similar. One point on my parents’ estate I recall was the practical difficulty of liquidating it all (the physical stuff like furnishings, household items, cars and hobby goods). They had tried to leave their affairs in good order but the task of an executor is large - hard for most folk to cope with too - and the less we leave to executors to manage the kinder we are.

Last edited:
Best to you!
Was a pleasure meeting you and doing business.
You were totally generous and fair!
Ron

Thank you all for well wishes. Just to be clear, The End is not Near, if my daily recovery from a Carotid Endarterectomy is any indication. I sort of relate to my selling off these mostly rescued Martins as similar to what the surgical team did for me. Enabling a few more songs to be sung and enjoyed for a few or many years. Looking forward to facilitating a new locations for these fine instruments. Dave

Yeah, good luck with the health issues Dave. We all have, or will have them, and none of us are getting out of this world alive. I really admire your passion for old Martins, your ability to bring them back to their glory, and your willingness to help others with their questions here. I hope there are many more vintage Martin fixer-uppers in your future!

I am not aware of you entire situation, but definitely will pray for you. Double check, some times in the face of shocking news we make decisions that are to be second guessed later. Hope all goes well.

Top Bottom