Low G strings

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I usually use a wound string for low G, but have a concert I think I'd like to try to use as a linear ukulele, and it didn't like either wound string that I had, (too boomy.)

What is the difference between the non-wound strings, like Aquila, Aquila red, Fremont non-wound, Living Water, and any other that I might not be thinking of.

Differences in sound? Diameter? (I will take the ukulele in somewhere if the string that would work best requires that the nut be widened, but it would be nice to find one where that wasn't the case, if possible.)

I'm not sure where I should start with my experimenting with non-wound strings.

I tend to like Living Water strings in general, but am not sure if their low G string would be the place to start. I have Martin M600s on the ukulele now, which I like a lot on this particular ukulele.

I am far from an expert on comparisons with strings (ask Booli about that1 <g>) - I just change mine occasionally and will try new ones out of recommendations or curiousity. So take that into account.

But I used to swear by the Fremonts, which I still like, but the Thomas-Infields (sp?)) are my current favorites.

I've hated every non-wound low G string I've tried on my concert-scale ukes - I have yet to find one that isn't boomy. I don't recall specifics, but a few years back a friend gave me an assortment of her rejects to try, all non-wound, and some of them were too thick to use with altering the uke. I remain eternally loyal to the Fremont Soloist!

I have nothing to add - just wanted to join and watch this thread. While I used to be a fan of wound strings, I am starting to think I want to try some non wound low G's...

I like the Fremont low G on concerts. I find the Thomastik -I's a bit sloppy on concerts, but are my fave on tenors. Non-wounds, I like the Living Waters the best, but generally find flouro low g strings kind of dead compared to the Fremonts. I've yet to encounter a problem requiring a nut notch adjustment.

Last edited:
I like the Fremont low G on concerts. I find the Thomastik -I's a bit sloppy on concerts, but are my fave on tenors. Non-wounds, I like the Living Waters the best, but generally find flouro low g strings kind of dead compared to the Fremonts. I've yet to encounter a problem requiring a nut notch adjustment.

Do you remember the particular diameter of the TI low g that you tried but didn’t like on your concert. I am trying out the TI’s on my Bari and Tenors using a CF35 on the Bari and a CF30 on the Tenor. I’m also using the CF30 as the 3rd string on the Bari. I use a CF 27 for the 3rd string on the Tenor. I wonder if the CF 27 would make make a good low g on a concert?

I prefer unwound low G's and have tried a few and (apparently have several more to try at some point). At the moment I am using a set of GHS CheeMaisel artist-curated strings on a couple of my tenors and a concert. The G is carbon and the rest are titanium. They are the most satisfactory I've tried so far but I'm not convinced I can't do better so I intend to try out some of the alternatives other people have mentioned.

Do you remember the particular diameter of the TI low g that you tried but didn’t like on your concert. I am trying out the TI’s on my Bari and Tenors using a CF35 on the Bari and a CF30 on the Tenor. I’m also using the CF30 as the 3rd string on the Bari. I use a CF 27 for the 3rd string on the Tenor. I wonder if the CF 27 would make make a good low g on a concert?

I tried the CF30 on a standard 15" concert...……..way too sloppy. Works ok on my 16" concert, and great on my tenors. I'll give the CF27 a try on a concert just for the hell of it.

On my Mya Moe tenor I use Mya Moe low G fluorocarbon strings. The Low G is thick but sounded great and balanced to my ear. I would have posted a sound sample but I just changed to a high G for practicing Daniel Ward arpeggios. I miss the low G but I have a pono tenor strung with low g.

I've used a D'Addario silver wound .029" on a Kala concert, and it was fine, though I might prefer a .028" on that scale. On a Kala tenor, I've used the same D'Addario NYL029 and NYL024 for G and C respectively. I like to go a bit lighter on ukes. Similarly I use NYL033 and NYL028 for a Kala bari D and G. I don't mind stiffer bass strings on a guitar, but I do on ukes.

I know lots of people love TI flatwound strings, and I've tried to like them. But I find them too dull and thuddy sounding. I guess I just prefer a brighter sound. :)

Last edited:
.........I know lots of people love TI flatwound strings, and I've tried to like them. But I find them too dull and thuddy sounding. I guess I just prefer a brighter sound. :)

Yes, fair to say that the flat wounds are not as bright as say Fremonts or the wound G’s and C’s that come with the Southcoast sets but they feel great. Also, when I’m out playing with my group, I am always amplified and running through a pedal board which includes a LR Baggs Session DI Acoustic Pre-amplifier that gives me a lot of sound sweetening.

Seems like wound strings are by far the favorite, and I agree, but the ukulele I'm currently experimenting with sounded horrible with a wound string. Guess I just need to experiment,

I'm sure the issues are with the ukulele itself, since it arrived with a cracked bridge, a hole in the bridge, & a dealer unwilling to do right for this "new" ukulele. I learned that a warranty is useless unless the dealer cooperates in the process. So, a local repair place has patched it up, but it's quirkiness is probably due to its rough start.

The freemont non-wound is very floppy. I had trouble with it buzzing.
Ive been pretty happy with the TI's though. They are not as boomy as the others, and if you do wound 3rd and 4th, they blend pretty well with FC's. I wish more makers would make a good wound third for blending. Having just the 4th wound... really sticks out.

I not only use the Thomastik Infeld CF30 as my Low G on tenors, but I also use the TI CF27 for the C. Love 'em!! If you haven't tried TI, you haven't really tried wound. :)

I pair them with two Oasis strings for the A and E. (I also use them on a six-string tenor, with the CF30 for the Low A; there they are paired with Worth browns.)

Last edited:
one more thing I thought i'd mention... With an unwound low G, the string is thick... and I've had intonation problems. Besides refiling the nut so the string fits down right, I had to compensate the saddle to help with the intonation. That was true for both fc and nylon.

Top Bottom