A problem with my Ovation Applause

Jacklom

Reaction score
I got a new Applause, and the C string, when played open, is really loud. The rest of the strings are relatively quiet, but I was assuming that was because the plastic body is so solid, but now I am wondering if the quiet strings are quiet for some other reason. Any ideas?
Thanks

I got a new Applause, and the C string, when played open, is really loud. The rest of the strings are relatively quiet, but I was assuming that was because the plastic body is so solid, but now I am wondering if the quiet strings are quiet for some other reason. Any ideas?
Thanks

If the C string is wound, then this might be the problem. If so (or not) try switching out to some D Addario J71 Pro Arte Tenor Ukulele Strings. That could tame the beast. You can buy them here on UU. Here's the link.. http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/category/strings

good luck...e.lo...

I've had that problem on a couple of ukes - one string dominates the others. On my new Kala tenor it is a wound low G string. The problem only manifested when I changed the perfectly balanced (but not very nice) stock strings, so it is the strings in that case. I'm going to change for either a plain low G or a re-entrant G.

I have the C string thing on my mahogany concert. That is a plain Aquila C. I have yet to see if a different set of strings will sort it out. I'll try it soon.

A change of strings does seem the sensible thing to try first.

I've had the same thing on guitars and mandolins over the years. Annoying, but so far it has usually gone away either as the instrument opens up and breaks in, or with various adjustments, or string changes.

Thanks for the welcome, Budd. The strings are not wound, and I have tried new strings, Martin crystals. and the strings are well broken in. Think a different brand string is worth a try? Just keep playing it and hope it goes away? Thanks
Jack

Well, you do get some instruments which resonate so strongly at a certain frequency that it can be an issue if that frequency is one that corresponds exactly to the frequency of a string - especially a bass string. One way to check that is to tune up or down a half tone. If the problem is a resonant frequency one the detuning may make it go away, which would point strongly to that being the problem.

If that is the case then I'm afraid I don't know a practical fix. You'd maybe need to consult a luthier, or enquire about returning the instrument for exchange.

What does the octave C sound like? If you have a wolf note caused by the body resonance being a C, any C note you play will be somewhat louder. The strobosoft tuner has shown my last two sopranos to be C#, +/- 40 cents, so it could be the case. Only fixes I know of, which are not practical, are to change the size of the sound hole or alter the stiffness of the bracing. Try covering the sound hole partially with some masking tape to see if that changes things.

Brad

I got a new Applause, and the C string, when played open, is really loud. The rest of the strings are relatively quiet...
Booming, I call it. Some ukes are like that - one string dominates the sound. It can be annoying, but you can mitigate it somewhat with a bit of change to your strumming and picking technique.

But as said above, the better option is to find an alternate set of strings where the balance is better. You can freely mix-and-match sets, by the way. Try the C from another set first (I believe J71s were mentioned). Do you know what's on it now?

One problem may come from the saddle. If it can be removed easily (most are held in by string pressure), then take it out to see if it's level or has any protrusions you can sand down. If I recall, the Applause saddle is compensated, so this may not work here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom