Cheap 'junker' uke for travel?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my hands on a cheap uke to bring along when I go overseas. In a few weeks I'm heading off to France for a bit, then doing research for my thesis project in Kruger Park Game Reserve in S. Africa for 2 months.

I don't want to risk the ukes I already have (see my signature for the kinds) and want to pick up a cheap uke that isn't too crappy when it comes to sound. Since it will be living in a backpack or suitcase for its travels andbe in pretty dry environments without humidifiers, I'm going to have to go for a laminate of some sort. And I'd like to keep it at a soprano size for easy or transport in carry-on luggage.

Also, I'm probably going to be slapping stickers all over this guy as well as possibly paint on it, so a matte finish would be best I think.

Basically as long as it will stay in tune, and the intonation isn't terrible, it'll work. I'll be throwing some Worth CM or D'Addarios on it anyway, so that wshould help it out a little bit :p

I'd also like to keep it under 80-100$. If anyone has one for sale, that would be fantastic, otherwise I'll be purchasing it online.

Thanks

Last edited:
Why not take your flea? They're pretty indestructible, and they sound great. Also they are pretty lightweight.

Check out the gaudy-colored Makala sopranos with the dolphin bridges. For a little more, Kala sells a bare-bones laminate soprano that looks more traditional. Even if you buy online from MGM, it'll come out well under your price limit including shipping.

I would bring the flea along, but it was kind of expensive (at least for me) with the walnut neck, and rosewood fretboard (I want to make sure it stays safe). Also, I've got a pickup mounted externally on it, and don't want to bugger up the electronics with the dirt its bound to be smacked with ;)

Check out the gaudy-colored Makala sopranos with the dolphin bridges. For a little more, Kala sells a bare-bones laminate soprano that looks more traditional. Even if you buy online from MGM, it'll come out well under your price limit including shipping.

Hahaa, I'm not too fond of those dolphin-bridge makalas :p But that basic Kala laminate looks decent. I'm also eyeing the Lanikai LU-21, which seems pretty similar to that kala.

Is there any reason it must be put in a backpack? A Lanikai foam case is extremely portable and weighs almost nothing. You can put humidifiers in it to deal with humidity issues (no humidity problem to worry about if it's the Flea). I recently took a Collings concert with me on a trip to Taiwan in one of those cases with no issues at all...well, except I almost left it at the airport restroom when I left Taiwan...I didn't realized it was left there until I boarded the plane!:eek: :p

DSC02624.JPG

I recently took a Collings concert with me on a trip to Taiwan in one of those cases with no issues at all...well, except I almost left it at the airport restroom when I left Taiwan...I didn't realized it was left there until I boarded the plane!:eek: :p

Yikes! that story almost gave me a heart attack... :eek:

Is there any reason it must be put in a backpack? A Lanikai foam case is extremely portable and weighs almost nothing. You can put humidifiers in it to deal with humidity issues (no humidity problem to worry about if it's the Flea). I recently took a Collings concert with me on a trip to Taiwan in one of those cases with no issues at all...well, except I almost left it at the airport restroom when I left Taiwan...I didn't realized it was left there until I boarded the plane!:eek: :p

Its done to the facilities at the research camp in S.Africa. I've been told by them to bring only 2 bags, a day pack and a small rucksack of clothes (only a few sets) and books. There's limited space in the tents (they look like the kind that would fit 2 people comfortably, but we're having 4 people in each of them). So they want the other researchers and I to keep our luggage to a minimum b/c of that.

In that case perhaps a Makala soprano without the dolphin bridge would be a good choice? I bought a pink one with the dolphin bridge for my daughter and I'm fairly impressed by the sound and intonation for the money. It was setup by MGM with Aquila strings. The dolphin one actually seems to have plastic back/sides (I'm not positive about the material) and has handled beatings from my 2 and 3 year olds with no problems.

I have 2 lanikai's. one concert one soprano. I've been very pleased with them. I successfully painted on both of them. I prefer the sound of the concert to Beeejums Kala concert (I don't know details on it.)

I also purchased a Makala with the dolphin bridge. It isn't as punchy as the Lanikai soprano. Sound is a little mellower. Both have aquilas on them.

I got my Lanikai concert to hike with. I carry it to work with me daily and on hikes. I have no case and I'm pretty careless with it alot of the time.

I get fret buzz in 2 spots occasionally depending on weather but I wouldnt expect better out of highdollar stuff.

Sounds like awesome trips!

I've recently bought a makala with the same idea of travelling and was really impressed how nice it sounded with worth strings :)

So I can't tell you if these are better than the Lanikais but they are a good value ;)

Dolphin Makalas rock! :rock:

I have two. One at home as a beater/test-bed and one in the office!

Fit 'em with a set of Aquilas and they could kick Chuck Norris's arse. :D

Also the Kala KA-15S with a set of Aquilas can be had from MGM cheap. It's a good sounding setup!

Kala 15-S. I have it. Its inexpensive, sounds very nice, tuners are good, and its a sturdy lil fellow.

I had the opportunity awhile back to play around with several of the MGMified "dolphins". I was very impressed. They're not tone/volume monsters, that's for sure. But the intonation was good, and they were fun to play. For the money, they're tough to beat, IMHO.

So I think they'd make great camping/beach/car/whatever ukes. Assuming you can get past the fact that there's a friggin' dolphin on 'em. :p

(Actually, the sparkly black one looks really cool in person!)

JJ

How are you liking your Collings GX? I'm thinking about saving my pennies and getting one eventually.

How are you liking your Collings GX? I'm thinking about saving my pennies and getting one eventually.

I like it quite a bit. It holds its own compared to my Kepasa and William King concerts. I do like the two customs a little better, but the Collings is good enough to be "in the rotation", which IMO says a lot about the quality of the Collings.

There's a cheap Kona with an excellent hardshell case on ebay going for $49. You would not worry if you sat on it. Stays in tune and sounds good with a good set of strings.
The hardshell case alone is worth it just to have a nice hardshell case for your good Uke's. :D

Top Bottom