Where are You?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Most people post their location in their profile, but many don't. It's easier to help someone with a question if we know where they live. It's also interesting to know that I am communicating with someone halfway around the world or just a couple of miles away.

You don't have to give detailed, personal information. The town and state would be fine.

EDIT: Country, too.

Last edited:
You don't have to give detailed, personal information. The town and state would be fine.

Or Country..

Especially when selling, so us folks outside of the US (yes, there are people out there) know if to respond or not.

The location, especially the country, is the first thing I look at after knowing the make and the price of the uke.

With only twenty-three ukes, I can understand why you look at the Marketplace. I have forty, and I do the same thing every day. :D

In a very localized (and somewhat arcane/archaic) dialect, my very user name tells folks where I am...but since even many people in my neck of the woods have never heard of the term "Swamp Yankee", I made it a point to add my location when I joined up.

Another in agreement. Determines whether I keep reading.
Cheers,
R

To those of us outside of the US of A, just look at the price, if it's $, forget it, even if it's not there, it'll be Canada or Australia. ;)

Ayep...that's about it.

My grandfather told me when I was a kid that we come from "a long line of Swamp Yankees". Come to find, he was right.... one of my ancestors married a woman of the Hopkins line (from the Mayflower) and absconded with his bride from Puritan Massachusetts to the "swamps" of Connecticut in 1739 .. We're still here.

I do not advertise my location online. Folks need to ASK for it.

There are way too many data-mining and privacy-invading automated programs running now that are harvesting all personal info and then selling it for profit.

I have direct experience with seeing, and defending against this from my day-job (software).

Putting location details in my profile is akin to advertising it as far as I'm concerned.

However, Jerry, since you asked - I am in Northern NJ, USA. :)

I do not advertise my location online. Folks need to ASK for it.

There are way too many data-mining and privacy-invading automated programs running now that are harvesting all personal info and then selling it for profit.

I have direct experience with seeing, and defending against this from my day-job (software).

Putting location details in my profile is akin to advertising it as far as I'm concerned.

However, Jerry, since you asked - I am in Northern NJ, USA. :)

We're practically neighbors! :)

We're practically neighbors! :)

From what I've seen here in 5 yrs since I first joined UU, there is a reasonable density of members in the PA/NJ/NYC/NY State area, and a similar pocket of density in New England area (MA, ME, CT, RI) as well as some density in Florida, Oregon/Washington State, and various/many groups of folks in different areas of California.

It seems to me that California may have the highest population of UU members here in the USA.(Maybe due to influence of the proximity to HI, or that they are the nearest USA 'mainland' area to visit/migrate to from HI.)

There are also lots and lots of UU folks in England, Ireland and Wales, but I am not sure how concentrated they are...

Most people post their location in their profile, but many don't. It's easier to help someone with a question if we know where they live. It's also interesting to know that I am communicating with someone halfway around the world or just a couple of miles away.

EDIT: Country, too.

It may be a good idea to start a thread in "Uke Talk" regarding this question Jerry?

It may be a good idea to start a thread in "Uke Talk" regarding this question Jerry?

:biglaugh: good idea...this is marketplace, Jerry.

Last edited:
I was born a poor white child on a ranch in western Nebraska, at age 9 my parents moved me to Colorado, where I lived for 45 years until moving to AZ almost 15 years ago...:shaka:

Top Bottom